PDA

View Full Version : Can I vent, please? Please?

Hercomputers
05-04-2010, 12:45 AM
I have two customers that need ac adapters for their Lenovo Thinkpad T400 laptops. I found a computer repair guy in NY who first tells me that:

1. since this isn't a popular brand,he has to check his inventory
2. he calls me back and tells me that he doesn't have it but he can get it. I give him my cell phone to call me when he gets it
3. It's been about 4 hours, home from work, playing with the dog, yada, yada, I call him up and he claims he called me five times from his 'distributor' and he had the adapter but he didn't get it - I asked him why and he tells me that he wasn't sure which ad adapter it was.
4. Mind you, I described it, sent him a link where the picture is posted as clear as day and he stills me that he still wasn't sure

Ooooooy-vay!!!!!!:(:(:(

My search continues for two ac adapters for my two customers.....

Vicenarian
05-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Would a universal charger (e.g. kensington, etc.) be ok?

Hercomputers
05-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm not comfortable giving a customer a 'generic ac adapter'. Since it's a Lenovo laptop, I want the ac adapter to also be an Lenovo. I have a few emails in to a few folks who have ebay listings for them. I also checked amazon and interestingly, there are a number of generic or universial ac adapters and they're under $20 - if I buy one, how long would it last? Don't want to take that chance.

Thanks for asking though.

R.

Vicenarian
05-04-2010, 06:45 PM
The Kensington/other brand name ones, are probably better than the stock HP/Lenovo/Dell ones...they often come with Car accessories too, and other neat stuff.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/kensington-wall-laptop-power-adapter-33403/10092396.aspx?path=a708c12d6ee2c44978e192cd74dca5f 4en02

I have that one (or a very close one) and I like it a LOT.

NYJimbo
05-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Why not buy one from ebay? . Its not a universal, its made for the model you need but its not made by IBM or Lenovo.

What do you think everybody else is doing.

ebay "Lenovo Thinkpad T400 charger" get it from a "top rated" seller.

NateDawg
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I recently purchased and iGo adapter for my wife's laptop and it works like a champ. As long you get the right tip for it, it will work fine. Just make the input and output voltage and amps are correct. For most adapters, they will be. So, check those out.

iptech
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm not comfortable giving a customer a 'generic ac adapter'. Since it's a Lenovo laptop, I want the ac adapter to also be an Lenovo. I have a few emails in to a few folks who have ebay listings for them. I also checked amazon and interestingly, there are a number of generic or universial ac adapters and they're under $20 - if I buy one, how long would it last? Don't want to take that chance.

Thanks for asking though.

R.
I agree. I once sold a generic, switchable voltage PSU to a customer, a couple of weeks later he calls to say his laptop no longer boots. He been told by 'someone who knows a bit about computers' that you could overclock a computer and increase its speed by sending more volts to the CPU. :eek:

NYJimbo
05-04-2010, 09:29 PM
I agree. I once sold a generic, switchable voltage PSU to a customer, a couple of weeks later he calls to say his laptop no longer boots. He been told by 'someone who knows a bit about computers' that you could overclock a computer and increase its speed by sending more volts to the CPU. :eek:

http://www.dummydomain1.com/rotfl.gif

Skyhooker
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Oh dear, someone watched way too much "Home Improvement."

trapped
05-05-2010, 12:39 AM
I sell quite a few of the generic adapters off eBay and haven't had a problem yet, but honestly most of them are only $10-15 shipped so its not a big deal. From the look of them, they are probably made in the same factories in China, they just don't have the name brand.

Graystar
05-08-2010, 08:00 PM
The Kensington/other brand name ones, are probably better than the stock HP/Lenovo/Dell ones...they often come with Car accessories too, and other neat stuff.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/kensington-wall-laptop-power-adapter-33403/10092396.aspx?path=a708c12d6ee2c44978e192cd74dca5f 4en02

I have that one (or a very close one) and I like it a LOT.

+1 for this Kensington Universal adaptor. I keep it on my bench for troubleshooting and it has been great.

reesk92
05-08-2010, 08:49 PM
i think(not entireley sure) you do need to increase the voltage to the cpu to oc it cause it would draw more power but definatley not the way they did

jscx93
05-14-2010, 08:43 AM
generic ftw. Cheap, Easy to obtain, and I've had maybe 2 out of 50+ come back. It just saves the headache really. And if it does go bad in the rare just simply replace it for the client. I always give them the option though if they really want an OEM or just something that makes the computer turn on

Hercomputers
05-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Why not buy one from ebay? . Its not a universal, its made for the model you need but its not made by IBM or Lenovo.

What do you think everybody else is doing.

ebay "Lenovo Thinkpad T400 charger" get it from a "top rated" seller.

I'm just seeing this thread now since I started it a few weeks ago but since then I ended up getting them from Lenovo directly and the customers paid for it. I didn't have to pay for it.

I'm not like everyone one else when it comes to buying certain parts and supplies for laptops. If I buy cheap, I'm going to get cheap and it's not worth it for me to get a phone call from a client two weeks later saying that the cheap, generic ac adapter I got for them is no longer working - that would NOT be a good thing. Everything turned out just fine-:)

Gus
05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
i think(not entireley sure) you do need to increase the voltage to the cpu to oc it cause it would draw more power but definatley not the way they did

Overclocking means, at its basic level, increasing the stock performance of a system. Sometimes that does require increasing the amount of power a part of the system can obtain. But that is not always required, especially for small overclocks. But this is completely off-topic...

Normally when someone needs a new power brick, I tell them their options: The first option is that they order a brand new power brick directly from the manufacturer of their computer. If money is no option, than this is normally the best choice. The second option is to try and find a branded power adapter online for a lower cost. I usually don't suggest this option as it's almost always a waste of my time when they could either go with the first or the third option. Which leads me to the final, and most popular option: Doing exactly what NYJimbo said. Get the model number of the computer (or better yet, the power brick) and eBay up a top-rated seller. The only time I've had any issue with this is for an Apple power brick, and ten minutes of email (spread over two days) got me two replacements that are working fine for the client.

I would not doubt that the units you get from eBay are identical in construction from the ones you get that are branded and cost ten times as much. I stand behind my usage of non-manufacturer power supplies by using them for my personal laptops as soon as there are issues with the manufacturer one (I usually order one from eBay as soon as I get a new system. Sometimes two if it's extra-large or I have two places I need to keep a power supply for easy of setup [as well as carrying one with me in my backpack]). Make sure you go with someone that offers a warranty and always have an all-in-one power brick as a backup in case there are any issues (or suggest that they order a second as soon as they get a new laptop. Like data backups, this is critical to keeping downtime to a minimum).

~~~

I'm just seeing this thread now since I started it a few weeks ago but since then I ended up getting them from Lenovo directly and the customers paid for it. I didn't have to pay for it.

I'm not like everyone one else when it comes to buying certain parts and supplies for laptops. If I buy cheap, I'm going to get cheap and it's not worth it for me to get a phone call from a client two weeks later saying that the cheap, generic ac adapter I got for them is no longer working - that would NOT be a good thing. Everything turned out just fine-:)

If the customer is willing to pay for it, then all the more power to them! I'd suggest keeping the option open, in the future, for customers that might not have the money to be able to afford spending seventy to one hundred dollars on a brand-name replacement. Best of luck!