PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP hangs during Re-installation

stewest2007
05-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to reinstall Windows XP on my computer and during the initial windows setup it keeps hanging and says 'setup is loading files (Qlogic Qla1280, 64 bit PCI LVD SCSI HBA)

I have formatted the hard drive with kill disk and i have also tried using a different hard disk drive but still keep having the same problem.

Please HELP!!!!

Vicenarian
05-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Is your Windows disc scratched?

Is it an old/odd machine that needs specific drivers? Maybe you need to load drivers using F6?

I'm not sure, but just thought I would throw out some ideas to get your thread more attention from others. :)

ekrizon
05-04-2010, 03:59 AM
could be ram, also usb or different CD drive if you have one. Could also be disc as above poster said.

stewest2007
05-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I have changed the DVD Rom drive and it seems to be moving further through the setup stage, but now it seems to be bluring all the words (seems like a graphics issue) Any ideas???

geeksinroute
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
try using another windows installation disk, I think problem is in disk.

stewest2007
05-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I have tried 3 different disks also :)

stewest2007
05-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Any other ideas?????? PLEASE :(

StringTech
05-04-2010, 04:04 PM

I don't know it you're using SATA HDD but, here's a thread that might help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244640-30-configuring-sata-bios

iptech
05-04-2010, 04:19 PM
You need the correct driver for your HDD controller which you install with the setup by pressing F6 when prompted, else you could slipstream the driver into a custom XP install disk.

Alternatively change the controller setting in the BIOS to IDE emulation, you can change it back after you've installed the OS and downloaded the correct driver.

Cuban_Tech
05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Use nLite to slipstream SP3 into a new installation disk and give it a try. Good luck.

Vicenarian
05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
you need the correct driver for your hdd controller which you install with the setup by pressing f6 when prompted, else you could slipstream the driver into a custom xp install disk.

Alternatively change the controller setting in the bios to ide emulation, you can change it back after you've installed the os and downloaded the correct driver.

+1

:):):):):):):):)

RegEdit
05-08-2010, 11:22 AM
change the controller setting in the BIOS to IDE emulation
What exactly does that do? I'm guessing that on an older machine it sort of allows SATA drives to be recognized as IDE drives because old Windows XP disks look for IDE drives?

iptech
05-08-2010, 11:44 AM
What exactly does that do? I'm guessing that on an older machine it sort of allows SATA drives to be recognized as IDE drives because old Windows XP disks look for IDE drives?Yes, that's it, thus you won't need an OEM driver to install the OS. The downside is that IDE will be a little slower than SATA, but once you have the OS installed you can then install the correct SATA driver and change the setting in the BIOS.

RegEdit
05-08-2010, 11:52 AM
you can then install the correct SATA driver and change the setting in the BIOS.
How do you install a SATA driver? Is that something that would be found on the motherboard manufacturer's website?

iptech
05-08-2010, 12:18 PM
How do you install a SATA driver? Is that something that would be found on the motherboard manufacturer's website?
Yes, you should be able to find it there. It may be listed as a SATA RAID driver, you may also find this is how the SATA mode is described in the BIOS. Most onboard SATA interfaces these days include a RAID facility, but will work with a single stand-alone drive.