PDA

View Full Version : Steady flow of home users - now how do I get the business clients?

Stu
12-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I've been operating as a mobile tech since August, alongside my
regular IT support job. Business has been better than expected, from
advertising and referrals. Most weeks I've made a decent profit,
probably on par with low-earning jobs, such as flipping burgers in
McDonalds. I expect as I get more established this will increase.

I am somewhat disappointed with the lack of business calls. I was
hoping that I would get a few I could turn into routine maintanance
type jobs and get a steady crust flowing. But I've had less than a
handful of business calls, and only converted one into a small one-
off job. Someone pointed out to me that businesses probably have that many
other techs bombarding them with flyers and offers that they don't
need to seek out and ring another local tech.

I am curious to know how you guys/gals land the business clients?
And what kind of model do you offer to them?

My plan is to join my local Chamber of Commerce and get a list of
businesses to mailshot, but I think I need to come up with a package
to offer businesses. Maybe some kind of "insurance" policy where they
pay me so much each month and I promise to turn up pronto when things
go wrong?

I'm I even on the right track?

cmonova
12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
You are correct typically businesses get more flyers than they need. But, the difference is going to be who makes the best impression. I am not into mailing flyers, handouts etc.
I think you need to do a face-to-face and bring along a well constructed package about your business to give them. One is shows you took the time to actually see them and second it shows that you care enough to not just mail a 1 page flyer to them.

Stu
12-19-2007, 12:00 PM
I get what are you are saying, but I'm not one for turning up on people's doorsteps giving them the hard sell.

Personally, if someone turned up at my premises (not that I yet have any), my reaction would be one of, "Get the hell out of here, if I wanted a damn PC tech I'd look for one myself."

Harsh maybe, but that's just the way my mind works. I absolutely loathe people turning up at my house soliciting goods and services, and I can't see myself doing a similar thing.

That's why I'm thinking mailshots, to get the name out there and hopefully be contacted when needed.

cmonova
12-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm not saying to show up on someones doorstep at their house. I am talking about a "business"....
All the contracts I have is because I "showed up" at their business. Last one was actually for a website for a town and they actually put out an RFP. So 3 other companies did proposals for the job. I drove to the town and delivered it to City Hall myself. Next week got a call that the job was mine. Guy told me on the phone how impressed he was that I took the time to drive my proposal to them. The others mailed theirs in (which was allowed)....

jamesbhp
12-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't think there is a way around not hard selling to business/corporate clients. IT services is almost like any other services a business outsources, such as advertisement. You need to sell yourself, the service, and the company reputation. The losses a business can occur by choosing you as a managed service provider is greater than an end user, so they really need to see what you have to offer, rather then blind trial and error such as a residential customer. Put on your best suit, a service portfolio, and a battle plan and meet with the business owners and present your case.

focuz
12-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I agree, when someone shows up at my door front I slam the door back in their face.

But when I'm at work, I am in the mentol work state and don't mind people trying to sell proposals to me. They may still get the "hell no" anwser but I will at least hear them out until I am rude to them.

Blues
12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
We get tons of calls here at my work place and often our IT director will give them a chance of a meeting so if you call up and push for a meeting that might be your best bet. We don't use many of these people as we already have vendors we use and a contracted tech who comes in once a week.

tkrabec
12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Join a chamber of commerce. Join a local networking group. Take out ads in business sections/publications talking about your business services.

Nathan H
01-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi Stu I'm in Sunderland UK, I send a letter to business stating a date and time that ill either call in to see them or to phone them.

I also say if the date and time i have given them is no good to call me and reschedual