PDA

View Full Version : USB Boradband dongle makes DVDROM disappear

0ldfart
04-29-2010, 11:04 PM
I was at a customers house yesterday - long story short, he ohly wanted me there for an hour because he's elderly and on a pension; couldnt afford any more time.

Anyway, he showed me this issue on his machine that had me really intrigued, so I thought Id put it out there and see if anyone else has experienced this. Its a weird one!

He was using a mobile broad band dongle (Looks like a USB stick, contains a SIM card, accesses broadband through mobile phone network) on his desktop.

He goes to me, "have a look at this"

He fires up Windows DVD Maker, clicks on the Optical Drive pulldown list - no drive. Its just blank. Nothing to select.

Then he closes DVD Maker, removed the mobile broadband dongle, started DVD maker and... you guessed it - the drive letter appeared and he could use Movie Maker again.

He reckons it doesnt matter which USB port he uses, it yields the same result.

I only had a few mins left, so I quickly went to disk manager and assigned drive Z to the optical drive, to see if that improved things. Made no difference.

After that I had to go as I had another job to get to.

I plan to send him a fix by email if I can figure it out, just for the hell of it, because its kind of interesting :)

Has anyone struck this before? Any ideas what could be causing it?

Squeak
04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
You should really post a few details such as below.

OS
Service pack
Brand of USB and model number
Does device manager pickup the users internal cdrom when you plug in the USB
Does Diskmanager pickup the users internal cdrom when you plug in the USB

Alot of the Huawei E series USB mobile modems tend to use emulated Cdroms which can cause issues with the standard ones. Your best bet to finding a solution is finding out the make/model and googling issues with missing cdroms.

Closest case I've had to this is one changed the CDrom filtering settings in registry and had device manager displaying that it wasn't working (couldn't use the CDrom at all).

Squeak.

DCGPX
04-30-2010, 07:23 PM
I had this on my laptop when I used a Vodafone dongle Huawei K3565 Rev2.

What I did was go to device manager remove DVD drive and then rebooted with dongle still in.

It detected the DVD again, which I then allocated a drive letter to (in my case Z:), rebooted and it was fine. Noticed it put USB first as an emulated drive which I thought weird as hardware should come first.

Might work for you.

Hercomputers
04-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm confused as why the customer is using Win DVD Maker???

1. What OS is he using?
2. Were the drivers for the broadband dongle installed?
3. Latest Bios updated on the laptop?
4. As was already stated, how about checking Device Manager instead of DVD software?

0ldfart
04-30-2010, 11:40 PM
I had this on my laptop when I used a Vodafone dongle Huawei K3565 Rev2.

What I did was go to device manager remove DVD drive and then rebooted with dongle still in.

It detected the DVD again, which I then allocated a drive letter to (in my case Z:), rebooted and it was fine. Noticed it put USB first as an emulated drive which I thought weird as hardware should come first.

Might work for you.

Ok. Sounds good. I will email him and see if it works.

Thankyou :)

0ldfart
04-30-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm confused as why the customer is using Win DVD Maker???

1. What OS is he using?
2. Were the drivers for the broadband dongle installed?
3. Latest Bios updated on the laptop?
4. As was already stated, how about checking Device Manager instead of DVD software?

He's using w7 - dont know if its x86 or x64

Ive told him to install the latest from the telephony provider's website

Its not a lappie, but it is a recent PC build.

Sorry about the paucity of info, but as I said it was a quick job and he just mentioned this issue at the end. At that point I had to leave so all I was able to do was change the drive letter (didnt work) then I was out the door... but I'll talk to him if I cant get any further with the suggestion above.

Hercomputers
05-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Okey dok! Thanks for clarifying-:)

anonymous Mac Tech
05-01-2010, 05:19 AM
This is really sounding like an IRQ conflict. Not nearly as common these days but the first thing I'd check.

ATTech
05-01-2010, 01:08 PM
This is really sounding like an IRQ conflict. Not nearly as common these days but the first thing I'd check.

This or some other resource conflict. Check the resources for both devices and see if there is any overlap.