PDA

View Full Version : Os?

killergamer
12-14-2007, 03:57 AM
Ok so I read everyone saying there going to load Windows on there clients Computer. My question is do you use the same disk for the all the computers with the same key? If you don't then what if they don't have the disk for windows like my computer i got with windows Xp SP2 already on it do they have to buy it?

Thank you for your answers on my quest to becoming an IT.

focuz
12-14-2007, 04:09 AM
You can't use the same key, you have to use the system key that was bought for the computer. Most should have the microsoft sticker showing the key on the back or bottom of the system.

You also can't really use only one cd. Their are many versions of windows xp and its not just home vs pro, you must use the same version of XP that the key on the case is designed for. Example if you bought the computer from bestbuy then it would most likely be a Retail version of XP. So you would use an Retail XP cd and then use the key thats located on the case.

This is a good read for you to get a better knowledge of XP versions. http://www.technibble.com/how-to-tell-what-type-of-windows-xp-cd-or-license-key-you-have/

Bryce W
12-14-2007, 04:54 AM
I think focuz summed up most of what I was going to say.
what if they don't have the disk for windows like my computer i got with windows Xp SP2 already on it do they have to buy it?
If they never got a XP disk then it is probably a brand name machine like Dell or HP. To simply reinstall XP you can just use the recovery partition or their Restore disks that come with the computer. If a hard drive totally fails though, you obviously cant use the restore partition. Clients often lose the restore disks too. So in this case you can contact the manufacturer and order some more ($30ish). Or you can just tell them they have to bite the bullet and purchase another XP CD/Key.

jamesbhp
12-14-2007, 05:12 AM
As far as my experiences have been for the last 4-5 dells I personally owned; when you order a machine and have the option for $x for the OS disc, you can opt to decline. After the system arrives you can call up and request it and they send it out for free; which is silly.