PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - No Desktop- Can't run programs

Leztek
12-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Hello all...

I have a client who obviously has a virus on their system.

Symtoms

1. Can't boot to safe mode. Computer reboots
2. Can't load any programs
3. No Start button
4. No icons
3. Can access the task manager - but nothing will run from it. I can browse the system, but applications just hang.

What I have tried....

Ulitimate Boot CD and the virus/malware scans, but the virus definitions are old.

What I think I need is a boot cd with current definitions...

Any suggestions...

Thanks

Brandon
12-12-2007, 01:12 AM
The first thing I would do is create a new UBCD4Win cd with the most up to date definitions on the spyware and virus programs. That should get you started.

Leztek
12-12-2007, 01:36 AM
I download 4.1.1 tonight...

Is there anything newer?

The virus definitions are from May of 07.

The client said he saw something about a boogyman virus on the screen prior to the issues.

In my research I have not been able to find anything on such a virus.

Thanks for the help...

NWPhotog
12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Another angle would be to slave it to another system so you can scan the HD with current definitions wo any of the crap loading.

Kyrus
12-12-2007, 01:34 PM
It sounds like it's more than just a virus/spyware problem.
Could be a hardware issue, what happens when you try and boot into safe mode do you get any errors?

NWPhotog
12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
I've run into quite a few that did this just from viruses. He would know for sure by 1. booting to a boot cd and 2 run a HD fitness test. Both good steps to do with these symptoms.

Leztek
12-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Guys...

Thanks for the replys...

I like the slave idea... never thought of it....

When I try to boot to safe mode, the system restarts. I never get to the desktop...

Like I said I can get to the drive through task manager and I even deleted a few folders...

I'll throw the drive into another system and we will see what happens... The owner said I could reload the system, but I hate doing that if I don't have to...

Thanks for the help...

Leztek
12-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Holy Viruses....

I ran the drive as a slave... Hit it with AVG and boy... 450+ viruses... most of the of the trojan varity...

but needless to say and the most important thing the icons and desktop funtionality are back...

Now the internet connection is down... I'm guessing WinSock needs a fix...

Thanks for all of the help guys...

Lez

Bryce W
12-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I typically prefer to repair a system than formatting them but when a system is that infected and damaged, I usually recommend a format. Even with a cleanup, since some critical system areas such as Winsock needs a fix (http://www.technibble.com/repair-tool-of-the-week-lsp-fix/), who knows what other crap is elsewhere.

Leztek
12-13-2007, 01:36 AM
I was pondering that... but I hate to have the user reload all of the applications etc.

Correct me if I am worng, but I do not believe there is a way to keep the appilcations in place with a reload of XP.

Thanks

Fred_G
12-13-2007, 04:04 AM
Hope you are going to hook them up with a firewall and an anti-virus program... They may come back in a week or two with some 'new' virus.

E

NWPhotog
12-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I was pondering that... but I hate to have the user reload all of the applications etc.

Correct me if I am worng, but I do not believe there is a way to keep the appilcations in place with a reload of XP.

Thanks

The trouble is unless you are an expert at virus removal you will leave some nasties behind. Heck just migrating the nasty wo bring stuff acrossed is tuff enough. A reload of XP over itself will not help.

Leztek
12-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Well... Even though I have the system funtioning again... I am going to do a reinstall...

Something just seem funny... Like chkdsk wanting to run on every reboot...

Am I gonna load a antivirus and firewall? Heck no... let them keep coming back $$$$$... just kidding...

Thanks for all the help guys...

steelaz
12-14-2007, 01:55 AM
You could do soft reinstall. Boot from windows cd, don't opt for repair first, but go for install, when it tells you that there is another windows install select to repair it. That way install will overwrite all system files, but will keep installed programs.

This is not perfect solution. No guarantees :)

NWPhotog
12-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Well... Even though I have the system funtioning again... I am going to do a reinstall...

Something just seem funny... Like chkdsk wanting to run on every reboot...

Am I gonna load a antivirus and firewall? Heck no... let them keep coming back $$$$$... just kidding...

Thanks for all the help guys...

Did you run a HD utility? It sounds like the HD is about to die.

Holzster
12-15-2007, 12:59 AM
You can reload and choose to keep file settings - but your issue might not be fixed. One thing you can do is get a copy of Laplink PC Mover witch will move programs also. ($30-$40) & save the files to a network file, reload the system & use Laplink to reinstall the files. I use this is the user has LOTS of programs tell the user the cost of it & the aprox. savings of useing it.

Holzster