PDA

View Full Version : My XP episode fun /not

Kyrus
12-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Over this past weekend I had to replace a motherboard on an E-Machine :eek:, so I looked up the specs and did some research and found a suitable replacement, couldnít get the same brand/model as the existing one because itís no longer made.
Installing the MB and putting the pc back together was the easy part, starting having problems trying to find a copy of XP that the serial on the pc would accept.
I have a copy of XP Pro and home edition but the cd key on the pc didnít work on either one. I knew they probably wouldn't because they weren't OEM.
The sticker on the pc says XP Media Center Edition, so I borrowed a copy from a friend, and well guess what that didnít work either.
I donít have copies of any XP OEM flavors, starting searching around the BT sites and found what finally worked, which is XP Pro OEM.
Well that was a learning experience..:cool:

GraemeP
12-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Didn't it say XP Pro on the sticker?

Kyrus
12-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Nope XP Media Center Edition

GraemeP
12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
So did the XP Pro OEM Install with the Media center Key?

Blues
12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
When I install XP MCE it tells me to insert XP Pro Disc 2 I use my XP MCE disc 2 but yeah I think you get the picture.

steelaz
12-13-2007, 11:36 PM
MCE is based on XP Pro, not XP Home, so thats probably why it worked. How did customer react getting XP Pro instead MCE?