PDA

View Full Version : How do I improve my website?

BigFrog_Computing
04-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Hello,

I've been thinking of redoing my website but first I need a better understanding of what's wrong with my current one...

I'm good at the technical side of things but not so good with looking at things from the customer's perspective. I'd like to do a CEO (Customer Experience Optimisation) revamp. :)
What parts of my site should I keep and what things should I be changing/adding?

As far as SEO I'm on page 17 for "calgary computer repair". :( I don't think I have enough content to rank well.

Thanks everyone for their input. My site is at www.bigfrog.ca. All comments welcome, good or bad.

Andrew.
BigFrog Computing Inc.

hardtoremember
04-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Here's my opinion then! LOL
I like the logo a lot. The 'has your computer croaked' is awesome! Just awesome! I also like the info pane on the right.

I would make the logo a little smaller.
Get rid of that flower background image on the front page [it makes it hard to read].
Make your text smaller on the home page.
Put all of your page links below the logo.
Services page seems a little long to me but that's just personal preference.

Otherwise I really like your site. Get other opinions before you take my advice though.

rainmaker2112
04-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Sign-up for Google's Webmaster Tools (http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/)

Then read all of the information under "Help". Here's a link to Google Webmaster Central (http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=70897&hl=en), but not sure if you need to be signed in to read it.

It doesn't look like you've had your added your website to the Google Verification, which can affect your page-rank.

BigFrog_Computing
04-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Thank-you for your feedback hardtoremember. I might break the services up into individual pages and will remove the flower on the landing page. It does make it harder to read, that's why the font is so big.

The site has been registered with webmaster tools for almost a year now, everything is in order there but my site doesn't rank for the "calgary" keyword. Pretty sure that's one of the main problems. I'm hoping to rank better if I add the city name to each page. The prices page was added last month and that's the only page I added "calgary computer repair" to the title.

Reset
04-16-2010, 06:08 PM
All i can say is content to code ratio.

Missing info!

-Where are you located?
-good use of keywords
-content is king add more text using your location and keywords!

rainmaker2112
04-16-2010, 06:33 PM
I know this is obvious, but have you checked any errors within Webmaster tools?

Second, it looks like your sitemap is HTML. I had trouble getting Google to crawl correctly until I changed my sitemap to XML. Along with adding the keywords & content I would do that. Here are links to help:

Creating and submitting Sitemaps (http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156184)

Web Sitemap Generators (http://code.google.com/p/sitemap-generators/wiki/SitemapGenerators)

Good luck!

BigFrog_Computing
04-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I had trouble getting Google to crawl correctly until I changed my sitemap to XML.

Thanks rainmaker for the info. I have both HTML and XML sitemaps, do you think that could be a problem? Otherwise no crawl errors according to webmastertools.

Andrew.

mooncat
04-21-2010, 02:55 AM
I too must say LOL!...in a good way!

I'm glad to see others thinking "outside the box" in order to distinguish from the vast sea of computer repair businesses. The ideas and branding are excellent (of course, this is coming from the MoonCat). As to the site and content, I like it except for the background behind the writing on the front page. I don't like when words run over different color backgrounds, I think it makes it harder to read. I would suggest taking that plant or whatever it is out of there. Good job thus far.

BrianB
04-26-2010, 05:06 PM
I love the frog theme.

One thing you can do to get an idea of what Google thinks your site is about is to use their keyword tool with the "Website Content" option checked under "How would you like to generate keyword ideas?" section:

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

Edit: Totally unrelated to your question, I have a tip for one of your tips. You mention the benefit of a UPS on one of your sidebar tips. You might also mention that getting a UPS with AVR will help save computers and other electronics from brownouts, which are also hard on systems. I don't know what it's like in Calgary in the winter, but down here, especially if you live in an apartment, brownouts and power dips are an ongoing issue in the winter months.

BigFrog_Computing
04-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks BrianB and mooncat.

Don't all UPS's with a battery have AVR? We get bad power here in the city all the time, lots of brownouts in windstorms and heavy snowfalls.

One client of mine burned up 4 new PSUs in a row because he wouldn't listen to my advice that his building had bad power and he needed a $200 UPS. They got a $20 "surge protector" instead so I'm sure they'll be back for another PSU soon.

BigFrog_Computing
04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
OK, everyone seems to like the frog theme so I'll keep on working that angle.

Here are the updates I've done this week:

- got rid of flower background on home page
- smaller text on home page
- $99 special on home page
- minor keyword optimization on home page
- finished the "moldIE" project on my project page (I released this as GPL SW, will make a post about it sometime)
- removed 3 instances of "coming soon" text on my site
- updated google maps screenshot on contact page
- got a google maps review for my company done
- got a free backlink from canpages.ca
- other minor keyword stuffing in IMG ALT text (does this help?)

I also tried a 301 redirect last night through my cpanel but ended up with a endless redirect loop and nobody could reach the site. Had to manually remove the entries cpanel created in .htaccess to get it back. I think I'll forget about the 301 redirect for now and focus on adding some new pages instead.