PDA

View Full Version : Help With Car Decal.

SThompson86
04-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Hello, I am planning on putting a decal for my company on my back windshield of my car. I have something in my mind which is what you see below. I am very boring when it comes to anything artsie. Nonetheless, what you see below is in the ball park of what I want, but I am up for suggestions. I am also going to see if the graphic shop I go to can do My logo graphic in color close to the Atom/Core in my forum sig pic.

*please* Please pay 0 attention to my website. I am taking baby steps, and the website is not high on my list right now. I just use the website for people to go check my prices. I will revamp it before I get the decal made. I also will have the decal to where I can have a new website string graphic re-applied once I change it.

Questions. Should I show LLC after my company name? I think it would be better since it shows I am legit, but it also may be causing clutter.

I am also wanting color suggestions. As of now I am planning on the whole thing being white other than the Logo graphic hopefully I can get that blended with an orange or something.

And lastly should I show my website yet since its not a real website? I am kinda scared it may "cheap" me out? But then again, I am only using it more or less as a database to store a price list.

I would appreciate any suggestions about the decal design and approach!

Thank you in advanced - Shane

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/Method4/REARDECALTEMP-2.jpg

You can download my Word .docx Template here http://cid-b642611eaa48947d.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/CCS%20Decal%20temp.docx

Hercomputers
04-15-2010, 12:59 AM
I ordered my decal from a company out of NY called Webdecal.com. Here's a pic of mine.

I think it's good to have your business name, site url (doesn't have to be complete) and a phone number. I just had this put on the window 5 days ago and now I consider myself 'officially' out there.

http://www.webdecal.com

The owner's name is Linda and is very, very accomdating. You can chose a custom logo/graphic from their website or you can send them one. I took this just before dark a little while ago. Let me know if you see it.

SThompson86
04-15-2010, 01:13 AM
That is a good idea, I want mine fairley large those (take up the whole back windshield) How much did she charge you? I also.. do not like laying vinyl.. I find that to be a very nirve racking process lol.

Hercomputers
04-15-2010, 01:55 AM
For my sign plus the logo (she gave me three in all) it was around $32 and that included shipping.

Depending on letter size, how many lines of text with or without a graphic/logo will the price be different for you.

Because the windows of my truck are all tinted, I had to place to place sign on the outside of the window vesus the inside. The nice thing about my sign is that when I'm driving, it doesn't interfere with the visibility, it actually looks cool from the inside of the truck.

No need to worry about putting the sign on the window, very, very easy to do. They provide instructions and you really don't need them-:)

I sent the owner the file with the actual pink logo that I have on my site to see if she can make a smaller decal I can put on my truck-:)

SThompson86
04-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I should have put this thread in the advertising crique subforum. I just realized that. Would a MOD mind moving my thread for me?

Thank you.

vdub12
04-15-2010, 04:06 PM
I am having a local printing company do my windows.

I like doing business local, some of those businesses return the favor.

The lady that is doing it is charging me $50 installed for my whole back window on my Bronco. Its a big back window to so I think I am getting my moneys worth.

SThompson86
04-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Well do you guys have any advice as to Leaving the LLC at the end of my company name?

vdub12
04-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Well do you guys have any advice as to Leaving the LLC at the end of my company name?

Honestly I think its more personal opinion. On that subject I think what you think its the most important. On the subject of if it will make you look more professional I would have to say it doesn't affect proportionality at all.

The best way to answer that question is to look at other company's that have been around a while, do they use it.

Theres a local guy around here that has a 1-800 number and all kinds of other things made to make his business look more professional but then his website is full of typos and bad table alignment. I think the little things are what hurt your professionalism.

mraikes
04-15-2010, 05:23 PM
EDIT: After rereading the original posting, my comments below might not apply (I'm not sure . . ) If they don't, then I'll just say don't put that temporary website on your decal - it works against you rather than for you. And perhaps consider moving the website up on your priorities list above vehicle decals.

Frankly, I think paying to have that URL on your vehicle is a waste of money. It's difficult to read, includes ".webs.com" that customers won't notice or will get wrong and advertises a domain name you might not own.

corecomputersolutions.com is already registered to someone. If it's yours - use it. And dump webs.com - webhosting is SO inexpensive that it's ridiculous to use free hosting for a business site.

If you don't own corecomputersoultions.com, come up with a .com name you can own. A free hosting website based on someone else's name is a bad combination.

As far as a design critique, you have a long name. Break it up a bit and make it easier to read by capitalizing the words: CoreComputerSolutions it will improve the drive-by reader's comprehension and memory.

vdub12
04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
EDIT: After rereading the original posting, my comments below might not apply (I'm not sure . . ) If they don't, then I'll just say don't put that temporary website on your decal - it works against you rather than for you. And perhaps consider moving the website up on your priorities list above vehicle decals.

Frankly, I think paying to have that URL on your vehicle is a waste of money. It's difficult to read, includes ".webs.com" that customers won't notice or will get wrong and advertises a domain name you might not own.

corecomputersolutions.com is already registered to someone. If it's yours - use it. And dump webs.com - webhosting is SO inexpensive that it's ridiculous to use free hosting for a business site.

If you don't own corecomputersoultions.com, come up with a .com name you can own. A free hosting website based on someone else's name is a bad combination.

As far as a design critique, you have a long name. Break it up a bit and make it easier to read by capitalizing the words: CoreComputerSolutions it will improve the drive-by reader's comprehension and memory.

Also if you can't afford or don't want to get hosting you can host your own website.

SThompson86
04-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks Guys, I will loose the Website since its a temp. lets see, I will get rid of the LLC but I want to leave the spacing inbetween my name, CoreComputerSolutions Kind of bugs me.

On another note - If I were any good at webdesign I would have had a site by now. I need some sort of site builder because I for sure do not want to pay some one else to build one.

vdub12
04-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Use frontpage.

Many people rag on it but I use it all the time.

kagman
04-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Frontpage??? Oh hell no..... use squarespace.com

hardtoremember
04-15-2010, 07:36 PM
LLC is too much information on there IMO. Good job getting rid of the .web thing. I would not pay attention to that and would have gone to just the .com.

You can always do a Wordpress Blog if you wanted. It is really easy to learn and pretty customizable. You can search themes by color to go with your logo and then kind of go from there.

Also look around for templates. See if you find anything you really like. You never know, you could find a $20 template that is totally you and most of the work is done for you already.

mraikes
04-15-2010, 10:09 PM
. . . I want to leave the spacing inbetween my name, CoreComputerSolutions Kind of bugs me.

I didn't mean to do it that way with your company name, but rather your website address. Capitalize the letters in your website address, because you can't put spaces between.

SThompson86
04-15-2010, 10:42 PM
I have procured a web name, and I am going to begin devlopeing a legit website shortly.

I think I am going to go with Squarespace, for they have some good looking preview websites.

At Mraikes. I see what you mean now! Thanks

Thanks for the tips so far!

SThompson86
04-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Ok everyone I edited my template on my original post. Let me know what you guys think now.

trapped
04-15-2010, 11:44 PM
I think it looks a lot better. If it were me I could get rid of Call: and make the phone number bigger.

SThompson86
04-16-2010, 12:01 AM
I think it looks a lot better. If it were me I could get rid of Call: and make the phone number bigger.

Ok check it now, I got rid of Call: and made the number bigger. Great tip thanks!

mraikes
04-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Just curious- why are you using ".net" instead of ".com"?

SThompson86
04-16-2010, 04:19 PM
.com was not available. I almost went with corecomputer.biz But I did not like the .biz I tried a number of combinations to get .com but nothing was available. I figured .net was the second best choice.

vdub12
04-16-2010, 04:26 PM
.com was not available. I almost went with corecomputer.biz But I did not like the .biz I tried a number of combinations to get .com but nothing was available. I figured .net was the second best choice.

At one point I blocked all .biz addresses from sending mail to my server. Thankfully I haven't ran my e-mail server in over a year. I got sick off all the spam. It seamed like no mater what I did the spammers found a way around it. I have been happy with gmail.

Seatek
04-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Not sure if you already have a sign company making your decals or not, but I have a plotter and do signage on the side (mostly a hobby, but I can do some pretty tricky stuff). You would, however, have to apply the decals yourself. You said you would be nervous doing that, but it really is not hard at all, I could send detailed application instructions making it almost fool proof. Let me know if I could help you get this done when you finalize the design. I would charge for materials and shipping only (probably like $15 for the whole back window, which you could send a check after you receive it). Printing a color logo would be a couple bucks more but not much.

I'm extending the vehicle graphics/storefront vinyl to all Technibblers that are actually running a business and want an inside guy with a plotter. I'm not doing this to make money at all, I'm doing this to give back to the community that has helped me tremendously over the last few months, again, I would only charge mats/shipping.

Brice L
P.M. me if your interested. I'll send you my # and we can talk about what you need.

SThompson86
04-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Awesome PM sent! Thanks

SThompson86
04-16-2010, 07:07 PM
At one point I blocked all .biz addresses from sending mail to my server.

Yea, I figured .biz may have had some hangups..

mraikes
04-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Yea, I figured .biz may have had some hangups..

And so does .net - the primary hangup is that the Average Joe driving behind you won't pay attention to it! They're going to type in corecomputersolutions.com and go to someone else's website. Or they'll Google the name which is so common as to get completely lost in the results.

Just my opinion, but I think it's a mistake to invest money in a .net if you don't own the .com (And when you DO own a .com - get the .net TOO!)

SThompson86
04-16-2010, 10:01 PM
gotcha, well if there was a .com that made any sense in regards to core computer solutions I would have went for it. The only thing that I found was that was remotley decent was MSCorComputer.com or Corecomputerms.com but that looks like Computerms lol... for MS for Mississippi.. I didnt like that though.

SThompson86
04-17-2010, 01:17 AM
There is plenty of .com spin offs for my business name, but mehh I just dont know if having some oddish name is worth it to have in order to have a .com . I am just sort of wieghing the 2 differences. To me CoreComputerSolutions.net is better to me than corecompsolutions.com what do you guys think?

Secret Agent
04-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Maybe it's just me but... I didn't stick to a name for my business until I could secure the .com, .net and .us domains. It just doesn't make sense to me to settle on a business name until you can do so. Also, there are 3 other computer repair business operating in other states as Core Computer Solutions. there could be a possibility that one of them has filed for a federal trademark on the name.