PDA

View Full Version : Attention Seeking Title.

Hamish
04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Critique please!

http://geekxpress.com.au

Content, Design, Layout, and e.t.c

cmonova
04-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Not too keen on the logo but other than that I like the site. Blends very well and I like what you have done on the services page with the drop downs...Very nice.

Hamish
04-13-2010, 11:24 AM
WOW!

First one to not like it, Why's that may I ask?

cmonova
04-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Not sure just does not do it for me. I would like to see a logo that is more about your name then just a smiley face logo. If someone saw just that logo could they associate it with your business?

Hamish
04-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Try tilting your head ;) - (You must be the first not to pick "that" up)

JimboK
04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
The only thing I feel is incorrect about your logo is the reflection on the smiling face.

As to me it also suggest an unhappy face which is not something you want associated with a business.

It is sort of like you might be happy or sad with the results of using this company.

JimboK
04-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Just tilted my head. I would not have picked that up until you mentioned it. I see why you have the reflection now.

marcus19
04-13-2010, 03:41 PM
I like the logo myself. The only thing I would change on it is the "mouth" reflection. I would fade it a bit more so you can clearly see the face is smiling, but at the same time, you can still turn your head to make out the g-x

;)

Techs on Deck
04-13-2010, 04:27 PM
My first impression of the logo was that it was a frowning geek with a big nose. After you told me to tilt my head, I got it, but my first impression is still sticking with me.

Why not rotate the icon 90 degrees counter-clockwise? That way people would immediately see the g-x, and then see the face after they examine the logo a bit.

I like the website... Especially the caveman chewing on the laptop. It put a smile on my face :p

Hamish
04-13-2010, 10:31 PM
The logo is tilted on the flyers and car signage on my vw golf.

Xander
04-13-2010, 10:32 PM
The pics on the right side of the banner could be better optimized for their size. I checked a couple and they were ~100kb; could be smaller and load faster.

Pricing has the person download a PDF. I'd, personally, find that off-putting. Why not just put your prices on the page?

BigFrog_Computing
04-14-2010, 10:02 PM
I think you did a fantastic job on the site. I really like the colors but not the actual logo itself.

I would get rid of the javascript on the services page. I had to allow the site in NoScript to see what people were talking about. It was slow with visible flashing on my screen the first time. Now that it's been loaded the scrolling is smooth but my first impression was blah. I don't think business websites should use javascript or flash unless they're in the entertainment field. Like a radio station or DJ website...

I don't know why the javascript was slow the first time but it was. My machine is an overclocked E6750 running at 3.6 GHz with 2 GB RAM. Have you tested it on an 800 MHz machine?

Also like how you chose reCAPTCHA for your form submit. I just finished adding reCAPTCHA to a clients site and really like how you can load a different challenge. Just a heads up that the code provided by the reCAPTCHA folks does not validate with an XHTML 1.0 doctype.

Since you have so few errors on your site I would go through and clean them all up. http://validator.w3.org

Hamish
04-15-2010, 12:11 AM
I'd first like to say a big thanks for the input :)

now about the JavaScript would you recommend ditching it in favour for something else if so got any ideas?

Or setting the drop down speed to nil so that it's literally just a drop down clickable item? As then as you said if a Machine on 800Mhz was looking at it, it won't have so much of a load tome trying to load the fade down and up effect. As opposed to just a simple drop down and up click....? If that makes sense!

FYI, that website was made and designed on a 27inch iMac... Eat that PC fanboys!

Hamish
05-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Tehehe...

Updated the site! (Sorry, My OCD gets to me with my design work)

kagman
05-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Hey I like the site you had a few weeks ago. The logo does not seem right when compared to the rest of the website

johnwaddy
05-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Great site, but why list the prices in a PDF? It adds a click to the experience, and could posibbly cause problems for visitors who has do not have Adobe Reader, or who Adobe reader does not open from the browser correctly.

Consider converting the pdf into a png image, and posting it on the pack. If you use alt tags and good keywords you can begin ranking for your pricing page.

Hamish
05-03-2010, 06:03 AM
I hate tables and I don't know how I'm going to go about slapping the prices up via html :(

Joines
05-03-2010, 10:02 PM
"Thankfully for you, our technicians aren't still stuck in the prehistoric day."

I don't know why, but that sounds really weird to me.

I don't think its proper

maybe..

"Thankfully for you, our technicians are not from the prehistoric days."

Hamish
05-04-2010, 02:29 AM
"Thankfully for you, our technicians are not from the prehistoric days."

One free hug for you :)

Joines
05-04-2010, 04:03 AM
One free hug for you :)

Haha no problem, maybe its the "Thankfully" should it be "Thankful" ?

//I was never a fan of English class :(

MTech
05-05-2010, 01:24 AM
WOW, that is one memorable guy chewing on that laptop!:eek:
I have to agree, that catch-line needs some massaging.

Or perhaps change the line and picture to something that matches your business name? maybe like a speeding blur ... or a zooming laptop or something? I think it's pretty important to have your business name and image convey the same message. That way you can have people recognize your picture OR your title OR your business name, and have the others match up in their heads! :D

Hamish
05-05-2010, 01:55 AM
If only I was a Professor in English :( Ha!