PDA

View Full Version : How Techie is your family?

Bryce W
12-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Yesterday I had a defining moment in the geekdom of my father. My father is a draftsman doing alot of CAD work. Through his technical abilities and deductive reasoning, he can solve many computer problems by himself. Anyway, while he was at my place he mentioned that his computer sometimes goes crazy with HDD activity even though the computer appears to be doing nothing.

I recommended Process Explorer to him, showed him how to use it on my own machine, and what he should look for.

When he got the general idea of it, I told him that I would email it to him and he said there was no need.

At that moment, he whiped out a 2gig USB drive and said:

"here, put it on this! *click*"

(the clicking sound being from one of those switchblade style USB sticks where you press the button and the USB head flicks out)

I was just like "wow". I was surprised he even had one let alone carried it with him. It was a defining moment towards his geekdom in my eyes.

Anyway, how techie is your family? are you always helping them with dumb mistakes? or helping them with more advanced things (like they want to setup their applications so they can save over the network)? or are they too afraid to even touch a computer?

Blues
12-05-2007, 01:10 PM
The complete lack of tech know how sometimes makes me wish I had a hammer to beat myself over the head with to dull the pain. My mom is the best with the becuase she is forced to use a PC regularly. I can get my dad to work his iPod and his digital camera but I have to transfer the files. My brother is mostly lazy about it he used to be ok with it back when we both played lots of PC games through DOS. He won't learn the new things we got him an iPod and he barely uses it he is mostly just too lazy to get everything setup like his car FM transmiter. My oldest brother is probly the best as well he lives out of state so he doesn't get to rely on me as much and forced to learn more on his own.

swany971
12-05-2007, 01:36 PM
My dad is really big on buying gadgets, so it seems like every few weeks he has some new MP3 player or new external
hard drive. He's pretty good on the computer and I got my interest from him I think. Mom has learned email, and how to search things online. We are all proud of her for that, lol. And my sister is a teacher so she probly knows more than when it comes to programs like Office and Adobe. The wife loves to play games, chat, and do friendster, so on any night of the week you will find her on the desktop computer and me across the room on this laptop that my work gave to me. :)

gunslinger
12-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Seems most people in my family are specialized in what they know. My wife knows how to use the internet and search better than I do, she is also a wiz with Microsoft Office. Most of these skills come from the fact that she is a teacher. The stepdaughter is all about myspace, and my step son is more into downloading youtub vids and music. Pretty much everyone else in the family just knows how to check their email. I'm still trying to teach my wife how to use the flash drive I gave her, she is learning.

JJsMom
12-05-2007, 02:57 PM
I am pretty geeked out myself. I have several gadgets and have thus transferred my love for them to my son. He is 6 years old and has already asked for his own computer. I will gladly build him one because his games are memory hogs. My Mom always says that I have him geeked out pretty good. I say it is only the beginning. :)

LegoTestPilot
12-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm the only geek in the family so get to mend everyone else's pc's & laptops.
That said when i first started out with pc's 7 years ago i learnt as i went along.

focuz
12-05-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm the only geek in the family to. The wife isn't bad with email/internet stuff but thats about it, and I don't yet have any kids to teach my geeky ways to.

SandTech
12-06-2007, 02:47 AM
I have a big family, With there influence I became a Tech.
An electrical engineer, that so smart love gadget more than me, I always take his older gadget. still he calls me for computer issue's.

A programmer that got me into the computer world when i was 9years old, i obtained my first 486computer. Then we to 3.1 windows with so many viruses trasported through floppy.
I guess those are the only two geeky in the family other than me.

I guess everybody specialize in there own things, like my two dentist brother will always call me to fix there computer problem, still i get my teeth done all the time :)

Simmy
12-06-2007, 08:16 AM
My old man is good on computers and during my "experimenting days" (11-13years old) when I would try random stuff without fully knowing what I was doing, my dad regularly had to undo my handywork :D

I remember my first attempt at overclocking on a brand new evesham machine, which resulted in me almost crapping my pants because it wouldn't switch on. Cue random, unbelievable excuse to the old man, "I think there was a power cut because the machine isn't starting".

I overtook him a few years back though and he calls me for advice now, but it's great talking to him because he still understands all the computer lingo and my instructions :)

My mum is a bit of a technophobe and my bro is your average user. My grandma is surprisingly competent with using her dial up internet to google crossword problems!

I guess it won't be long before we become old and outdated and have to rely on our children to help us out :D

hext
12-11-2007, 09:47 AM
The complete lack of tech know how sometimes makes me wish I had a hammer to beat myself over the head with to dull the pain.

That pretty much sums it up actually!

Joe The PC Doc
12-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Looks like we have have a bunch of young techies on this board... I bought my first 8088, with a 4 shades of orange Monochrome monitor around 10 years old..

I remember buying a wheel mouse and a 2400 bps modem sometime during that year, and spent most of my preteens dialing up BBSes in the area, long before anybody was using the Internet.. (Door games anyone? Operation Overkill? Trade Wars? :cool:)

My parents had no idea what I was up to, just that I spent all my time on my computer. I remember being grounded for getting into a fight with my brother, and all they did was take the power cord from my PC for 2 months.. What a nightmare.

They weren't tech savvy, my brother knows his way around the Nintendo, and my sister likes to IM all day. Grandma actually put her mouse on the monitor and moved it around the first time she sat down on the PC.

freessp350
12-21-2007, 02:12 AM
My dad believes the computer is alive and out to make his life difficult. He is always saying things like "It didn't do that when I tried it" or "I know I typed in the right password but it won't accept it." There are always some expletives thrown in too. I just punch a couple of buttons and say "Huh, I don't know what the problem was but it works now." And god forbid the bank website asks a security question. My mom does pretty well with things but I usually have to walk her through it a few times. My kids take the "push the button and see what happens" approach. I admit this is how I learned (and still do) but I can't stand when they mess with MY computer. My grandmother actually refuses to learn anything new (she's 87).

By the way, my first computer was a TRS-80 that hooked up to the TV and a dual 5 1/4 inch floppy drive was connected with a huge cartridge in the side and I constantly had to clean the contacts.

Jake
12-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Actually in my household i am pretty much the only one that knows whats broken or how to use a PC and Apps properly.. My mum only normally uses the home desktop for playing Solitare etc and my sister has a laptop that i have to update AV and things on every few days. since my dad joined a motorcycle club recently he has learned how to open Outlook, Send/receive and how to reply to and delete emails. I'm not actually surprised by your dad Bryce. he's a quick learner for sure..

By the way I have a really Geeky cousin whose kind of my Geek idol, teaching me new things and is there to help me out if i need it :p

killergamer
12-23-2007, 05:08 AM
I think its funny. My mom goes like 2 days strait were she is on the computer.. I'm talking I can even look at the computer on those days. She never checks her email at the moment she has like 500 new messages. My bro he likes to look up cars and sub woofers on google. He figured out that google has a video part to it so he can watch videos of his favorite things.

dipper
12-28-2007, 08:34 AM
I have a 3 year old son who has a computer which is the best in the house (we only have a laptop and a computer in the house, my office is in a separate building).

My son complains and tells me to get off it when I try and use it!

When he's on the computer he's busy surfing the Thomas the Tank, Fireman Sam or the Wiggles websites.!

Jura
12-29-2007, 07:07 AM
My dad doesn't know what a website is and doesn't know how to play a CD without auto-play. Not techie at all.

GraemeP
12-29-2007, 08:08 AM
My dad doesn't know what a website is and doesn't know how to play a CD without auto-play. Not techie at all.
You could teach him :)

dracken
01-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah I remember the bullet board systems(bbs). Had a 2400 baud modem, playing trade wars and legend of the red dragon. Later on using gopher to access stuff on the internet. My father never liked computers at all. My mom was forced to use one right before she retired from work. My younger brother is big into electronics, ham radio etc.. so computers come natural to him. My wife is great with MS office, she is big into WOW also. My inlaws mostly do myspace and internet stuff, but I am called to fix their computer every once in a while. My 2 year old daughter is going to be a future techie though, she loves playing her disney games.

gunslinger
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Wow, I was starting to feel really old until some of you guys responded to this thread. My first system was an apple 2 I think it was 83 or 84, but I did'nt really get into computers until the days of the 286-386. I always hated command line still do even now, so windows 95 was a god send.
I think these days you have to be tech savy in some aspecs of your life or you are lost.I really feel sorry for those who have no idea how to use a computer. These days its almost like not knowing how to read.

Pc Fixed Right
03-07-2008, 08:55 PM
My family is full of people with Masters Degrees in various areas but none of my family members are PC compaitble.

Alana
11-01-2008, 12:02 AM
My daughter is Microsoft Office certified and also Army AIT and my son is a teacher so uses computer often in his field. My husband is a builder and uses cads and likes to do searches for business or his mustang restoration hobby.