PDA

View Full Version : I get the weirdest Jobs

copparedds
04-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Equium A200-1V0

Processor type : IntelŪ PentiumŪ Dual-Core Processor T2310 1.46 GHz
System Memory : 1,024 MB
HArd Disk : 120 GB

So customer calls saying machine is freezing.
I received the machine and proceeded to Power it up. I could hear The fan and hard drive but the screen would not come on.
I then Unplugged the adapter and sure enough the screen comes on and i boot into vista. Once i get to the OS i then plugged the adapter back in and after 20 seconds the machine freezes. To the point where i have to manually power down the machine.

Since the battery was completely dead i am now allowing it to charge and see how it runs with battery power alone.

Just wanted to share with you guys and i will update as i make progress.

copparedds
04-09-2010, 02:06 AM
SO i am now testing the Laptop on battery power and it is running nicely.
i have music playing in the background and making this post here on technibble and no freezing so far.

In the early stages it is looking Like a power supply problem (too much power maybe) so i will be testing power supply once i find my Volt meter.
It may also be a bad dcjack which i will check out.

Feel free to pitch ideas i could used them.

copparedds
04-09-2010, 02:22 AM
So Here's an update 2 mins after the first update.

laptop battery dies 10 Mins after being on with power setting set to High Performance. So i shutdown and just before i get ready to take this thing apart i decide to Plug it in and turn it on Just for Kicks and to My Suprise it powers right up. Its surfing the web and playing music along with everything else and it seems fine. :confused:
So Now i am at the point where i think to my self Wtf? Is this thing working or not. Maybe it Like my old lawn mower and only works when its warmed up.:D

Anyone have similar experiences?

copparedds
04-09-2010, 04:35 AM
SO i have ran all the checks and it Boils down to a bad Motherboard.\

Tests Done.
1. Boot machine with Known good memory Only. 256mb ram Reads as 1024 Mb In Bios :eek:
2. Tested with Customers Original Memory (two 1gb Sticks) read as 1024 Mb in Bios.
3. Tested Customers in Known working laptop and memory registered correctly.

All these test were run on the Power adapter and battery Respectively and the machine only booted on battery power

4. Tested Hard Drive Via Usb connection everything checks out.

Also the machine detects the hard drive every now and again.

SO the end result is that customer needs a new motherboard and the only one i was able to find is on ebay for 14Pounds, did it mention the Motherboard for sale is "untested'

RogueTech
04-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Good information, the BIOS setting is definitely an indicator that something beyond the power supply is wrong. The hard drive not being detected too is definitely 2 strikes towards the mobo. Nice finds.

DarDar
04-10-2010, 10:19 PM
If the only one is untested, check out the other offerings the seller has. i've seen the case quite often where they sell broken parts as "untested" to try and recoup some money.

atlanticjim
04-11-2010, 02:00 AM
Just out of curiosity did you check bios? Check for bios updates that may address something along the lines of "fixes occasional problem of inability to boot with ac adapter while computer is cold and facing NNW." I have actually had things like this in the past.
Even if there is no specific bios update, reflashing the bios with the identical bios will not set you back. Even if you brick it, you can still replace the Mobo and be back in business.

copparedds
04-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Just out of curiosity did you check bios? Check for bios updates that may address something along the lines of "fixes occasional problem of inability to boot with ac adapter while computer is cold and facing NNW." I have actually had things like this in the past.
Even if there is no specific bios update, reflashing the bios with the identical bios will not set you back. Even if you brick it, you can still replace the Mobo and be back in business.

Point Taken. But just to ley you know i dod google the topic before declaring the board to be bad and i found people with the same / similar issues for this particular model.

IF a problem can be fixed i will try at all costs to fix it i do not like to disappoint my customers.

cramped
04-11-2010, 01:17 PM
As atlanticjim said I would try a bios update. I had a Compaq Presario F500 in the other day which was having similar problems and a bios update fixed it.