PDA

View Full Version : What's your voicemail greeting?

Techs on Deck
04-05-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm making every effort I can to not let potential clients' calls go to voicemail, but it's often impossible for me to answer the phone before 4pm. I hate losing sales. :mad: What voicemail greeting do you use for your business, and do you find it effective in converting missed calls into sales?

ATTech
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I doubt the content of the message, assuming it's a message that you would expect a business to have, is going to make a great deal of difference.

In my experience, people will either not pay attention to the message and leave one, or hang up as soon as the voicemail starts playing and call someone else.

If you're that concerned, I'd look for a good answering service.

NYJimbo
04-05-2010, 10:12 PM
No matter what message I use I found that people prefer to hang up and either go somewhere or they keep calling every X amount of minutes.

When I am not around or closed I can come back in and see the missed calls and its amazing how many times some people will call and NOT leave a message, no matter how inviting the welcome/greeting is.

For instance, last week a lady called 8 times over a 4 hour period but didnt leave a message. I got her live on Saturday and it turned out to be a no-money-call (too expensive to fix), but she should have left a message days before and I would have called her back.

I dont think its the message, its the fact you dont answer, they just keep trying or move on.

callthatgirl
04-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm big on hanging up if there is no answer. I like getting someone live when I have questions.

I get those too...no messages but a few missed calls. Doesn't matter about the message, it's a live person they want.

Bullfighter
04-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Have you looked into hiring a VA (Virtual Assistant)?

At least this way you will have a live person answering your calls and if you can afford it maybe find one with a little bit of tech knowledge so that they can sound like they know what they are talking about if asked a simple question.

Check out elance.com prices start at $5 and up per hour. Just make sure if you get someone out of country you interview them first to make sure they speak clear/good English. If you need help with this process PM me and I'll help you out.

For the time it takes them to take down their contact information it'd be worth it if you are losing out on jobs.

EP

NYJimbo
04-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Just make sure if you get someone out of country you interview them first to make sure they speak clear/good English.

Are you saying that with this service the caller gets the SAME person each time?.

Bullfighter
04-05-2010, 11:30 PM
It really depends on the VA - you can get a company that offer VA services and then ask to always use a specific individual or there are VAs out there that are a one-person show so you'd always get the same person, of course.

One thing about VAs - be VERY specific. They are going to charge you by the hour so don't be afraid so say things like "Calls should not last more than 120 seconds" "Don't troubleshoot more than 10 minutes". Make rules and guidelines so that you don't get a bill for several hours of work you didn't want them to do.

EP

Appleby
04-06-2010, 04:38 AM
I had a HUGE problem with hang ups also. I changed my greeting to say this..."Hi you've reached Benchmark Computer & Tech Support. Today is Tuesday and I'm currently with another customer or on another phone line. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible." I use Google Voice and I change the greeting every night to my "After Hours" msg. and I have a pre-recorded msg for M-F and I change the message every morning. This has GREATLY helped with my hang up problem. Sure I still get a fair amount but nothing like before. When people here you say what day of the week it is, they at least know you are working and not on vacation. Just a thought....

Techs on Deck
04-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I had a HUGE problem with hang ups also. I changed my greeting to say this..."Hi you've reached Benchmark Computer & Tech Support. Today is Tuesday and I'm currently with another customer or on another phone line. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible." I use Google Voice and I change the greeting every night to my "After Hours" msg. and I have a pre-recorded msg for M-F and I change the message every morning. This has GREATLY helped with my hang up problem. Sure I still get a fair amount but nothing like before. When people here you say what day of the week it is, they at least know you are working and not on vacation. Just a thought....

That's a great idea, Appleby! I'll do that for now until I have enough income to justify a VA (which sounds ideal) :)

Does anyone know of any virtual assistant services or call centers that specialize in computer repair calls? My Googling is failing me...

jimmm33
04-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't even have a message. It just goes to voicemail. I don't have a problem with hang ups either. I do believe that the of the most important factors to a successful business is to call people back promptly.

When I'm talking to a customer in person and my phone rings, I quickly grab it and silence it without even skipping a beat in my current conversation then return the call when I leave the customers site.

Cambridge PC Support
04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I was speaking to a customer this morning about this, and he uses a local firm who use a human to take a message and then emails it to you for 1/message which sounds OK, except for when you get a cold-sales call.

TheTechWizards
04-06-2010, 11:45 PM
I used the AOL "You've Got Mail!" Elwood Edwards to do my voice mail greeting

http://www.thetechwizards.com/greeting.wav

stro
04-07-2010, 12:26 AM
My customers cannot stand speaking to people that speak bad english, and they cannot stand voice systems.

My message states my hours, and that if they have called during business hours and hearing this message that we are busy helping other customers and just try calling back in 5 minutes. I even regularly call back missed calls and say, "Hello, this is (name) from (company name), Sorry I missed your call, can I help you?" I have not had anyone get mad at me for doing it yet.

JaredEdelson
04-07-2010, 12:40 AM
My voicemail goes something like this...

Thank you for calling [Company Name], unfortunately we are unable to take your call right now so please leave a detailed message after the tone. Thank you!

Hope this somewhat helps!

Cambridge PC Support
04-07-2010, 05:52 AM
"Hi, this is Cambridge PC Support, please leave your name and number after the beep and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

MM PC Solutions
04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Does anyone have their calls diverted to their mobile (working hours)?

Cambridge PC Support
04-07-2010, 08:55 AM
nope, I find it too much hassle - I never use the phone when I'm driving, even on hands-free

atlanticjim
04-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I have been using Google Voice and link it to my cell phone. It is set up so when I get a business call it displays "Business Line" when it rings. I then choose to answer it live with my business greeting "Hello! Computer Repair, how can I help you?". If I can't answer it, usually 'cause I am at my F/T job, it goes to Google Voice Mail ("Hi, you have reached ********* Computer Repair, I can't take your call right now but will call you right back"). Google mail then converts the voice message to a text message and sends me that by SMS so I know right away who called and what the call is about. The "convert to text" feature is not perfect but gives me a general idea of who it is and what it is about. For example:
Hi Jim, John ***** just regarding returning your call a lot as we you had spoken about earlier this morning. It is now 1:20. Give me a call back, we'll set up a time and they for you to pick up if you still be she's if you could do it today. On Monday we have to be around 4 o'clock. If that's not convenient for you. Give me a call back. I will arrange in those dates. No big deal. Okay. I looking for a vehicle. Bye bye.

othersteve
04-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I have been using Google Voice and link it to my cell phone. It is set up so when I get a business call it displays "Business Line" when it rings. I then choose to answer it live with my business greeting "Hello! Computer Repair, how can I help you?". If I can't answer it, usually 'cause I am at my F/T job, it goes to Google Voice Mail ("Hi, you have reached ********* Computer Repair, I can't take your call right now but will call you right back"). Google mail then converts the voice message to a text message and sends me that by SMS so I know right away who called and what the call is about. The "convert to text" feature is not perfect but gives me a general idea of who it is and what it is about. For example:Heh, wow, that's EXACTLY how I handle things. :)

I only wish there was some way to have the VM greeting change based on the day of the week and time of day the call is received... maybe in a future Google Voice.

PBComputer
04-08-2010, 11:44 AM
on my mobile i use spinvox to convert my message to email and sms (states my name company name and to leave a message or ring land line on 01228 ******)

on the landlines i am setting up a new answering service, server based, to say good morning/afternoon/evening and they sorry i cant take you call, please leave a message or you can try my mobile on 077** ******, thank you

(maybe the message is a bit to long?)

Paul

edgepcs
04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Wow! I have been gone a while!
Anyways, I use the good old fashioned "Hi you're through to Edge PCs. Unfortunately no one is available to take your call at the moment, but if you would like to leave a short message with your name and telephone number we will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you."
Seems to work well, although most residential clients tend to just call back, business clients always leave a message as they understand how busy I can get.