PDA

View Full Version : Recommended USB flash drive?

Stu
11-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi guys, I'm on the look out for a small and robust USB flash drive with a decent storage capacity. Basically it needs to be small enough to be carried around on a keyfob, but robust enough not to break every time it gets dropped or bashed.

I currently have a cute little SanDisk 2GB drive which holds all my crucial tools and files and accompanies me on every job. However after a month the plastic lanyard/keyfob hole snapped when I dropped my keys. The drive is still usable of course, but I keep leaving it in my client's machines now that it isn't attached to my keys.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

iladelf
11-29-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm seriously considering the Ironkey. I'm tired of only getting about 3-6 months out of USB thumb drive. This looks like a battleship; military spec, too.

https://www.ironkey.com/

Stu
11-29-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm seriously considering the Ironkey. I'm tired of only getting about 3-6 months out of USB thumb drive. This looks like a battleship; military spec, too.

Thanks iladelf, the IronKey looks awesome. I love the self destruct feature. Does look a tad on the large side unfortunately.

gunslinger
11-30-2007, 02:19 AM
SanDisk cruzer titanium ,pretty much indestructible. The single best tool I own.

Blues
11-30-2007, 02:43 AM
I had a Sandisk 512MB for a while and it worked great and still works(been through the washer twice and I think the dryer once). I still have it and it still works but I did just buy this seems like it should last me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233008

iladelf
11-30-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm using the Cruzer Titanium now, and find it's way overrated. It's been acting "goofy" since about the two month mark, isn't very fast on search/access and has this annoying tendency that it takes virtually 30 seconds for me to wait after plugging it in before I can get any programs on it to start, even though the icons are showing ok on the thing.

Further, sometimes it just sits there and blinks its' purty blue light at you, and does nothing. I think that happens on folks' computers that have only USB 1.1 ports, but not sure.

gunslinger
11-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm using the Cruzer Titanium now, and find it's way overrated. It's been acting "goofy" since about the two month mark, isn't very fast on search/access and has this annoying tendency that it takes virtually 30 seconds for me to wait after plugging it in before I can get any programs on it to start, even though the icons are showing ok on the thing.

Further, sometimes it just sits there and blinks its' purty blue light at you, and does nothing. I think that happens on folks' computers that have only USB 1.1 ports, but not sure.

Must be the USB 1.1, I own 4 Cruzers and have only had one mess up and that was after getting wet. It still works but is a lil buggy.

greggh
11-30-2007, 05:52 PM
CORSAIR 16GB Flash Survivor Ultra Rugged USB 2.0 Drive Model CMFUSBSRVR-16GB Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233059

Find that somewhere, its out of stock on newegg right now, but it is great.

Stu
11-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the plunge and bought a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Titanium. By the sounds of it, it's not that much bigger than my current SanDisk and the ReadyBoost feature will come in handy for Vista.

gunslinger
11-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Good choice, If I was in the market for a new drive thats what I would get.

(maybe for christmas)

Rabid_frog
12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Well If you want one of 2g that you should never lose you may want to look into a usb wrist watch, just a thoght

-will-