PDA

View Full Version : What are your sources for hardware?

ninjaman001
11-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I just got a request to build 3 "christmas" pc's; 1 for gaming and 2 for general use. What sources do you guys use for hardware and parts? Sometimes I drive to Texas to get the deals at a store called Fry's. I've used Tigerdirect and ComputerGeeks.com, oh and also NewEgg. Any new places I can check out?

:confused:

gunslinger
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
NewEgg is hard to beat.

greggh
11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
NewEgg is indeed the best of the retail stores anyone can buy from.

Blues
11-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Other then the fact in TN we have to pay sales tax for Newegg I usually end up there so often that I don't even price things out that much anymore. I built a PC for general use but beefed it up for longevity. The machine totaled under $800 and is built to last and considering the buyer was expecting to spend closer to $1000 I think it worked out.

vr6rafal
11-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I always use zipzoomfly.com for all my computer parts needs!!

Rabid_frog
11-29-2007, 03:38 PM
I would have to say thats pretty much all of the more common ones, tigerdirect.com (I ususlly check there because of the special weekly or random sales they have often), computergeeks.com (usully will have nice prices on paticular items especially refubished ones), newegg.com is nice too because the usually have the all around lower prices and lots of nice products, I have personally found, at least in my shopping, that zipzoomfly.com is more pricey, and finally I have never been to a frys but I have read that their stores are neat with cool displays especially in california, I also hear they have tons of unusual and harder to find products than some stores, and that they are semi inexpensive, so in closing i say shop around and subscribe to email notices or rss feeds of the mentioned sites.

"/rant"

-will-

NWPhotog
11-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Fry's normal prices are close to or at retail. Where they shine is their advertised specials which are often way below wholesale cost. I usually just buy their specials but occasionally I'll get hooked into buying something else because of convience or the fact no one else carries it locally. All in all a good experience as long as you check prices BEFORE you buy.

tkrabec
11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
geeks.com is good too.