PDA

View Full Version : Admin right and security

transisto
04-01-2010, 06:45 PM
How easy is it to do so after the fact ? removing "Administrator" admin right ?

I thought I could rename the "Administrator" name a be a bit safer , but don't see how in Win7

And help would be apreciated.

had a look at arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/03/half-of-windows-flaws-mitigated-by-removing-admin-rights.ars?comments=1#comments-bar

jaydude23
04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Renaming an account in windows is not going to change the permissions of the account. It simply changes the display name of the account.

To remove admin rights for an account, you must change the account type. This is done under control panel, user accounts.

Keep in mind that you must have at least one account with admin rights on a system.

You can create a standard user account and use that for daily use. Use the admin account when you need to make system changes only.

transisto
04-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Well I think it's more secure because someone from outside does not know the name of the admin account nor the password.

It seams the first administrator account cannot be withdrawn his admin right, I guess I need to boot in the new admin account.

:)

sjlplat
04-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Why not create a new Administrator account and disable the default one?

net user administrator /active:no

iisjman07
04-02-2010, 08:30 AM
http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11116 enables you to enable/disable the default admin account on Vista/Win7 systems

pcSAVANTS
04-02-2010, 10:00 AM
rename admin in win7

start>type gpedit.msc

computer configuration>windows settings>security settings>security options

at the top of the list you can rename the administrator

or you can install Windows 7 God Mode and it should be in there.