PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Mac and OS X for my laptop

gunslinger
11-28-2007, 04:34 AM
I sold my 2 year old Gateway laptop some months ago and I'm getting a replacement in January. I have made up my mind after some research to make the switch to a Mac for a few reasons. 1. I can use a student discount to get a really good deal at the moment. 2. I can run any OS on it, OS X , XP , or Ubuntu. 3. Almost any new laptop would come with Vista on it and thats something I'm avoiding for a long while, but I'll not get into that again. These are the specs. 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB hd, Superdrive DVD burner. I'll be upgrading the RAM myself to 4 gigs.
I would like any opinions you may have on the switch, is there anyone else here thinking about going to the Mac? Is there anything I should know or advice you could give me? Any good Mac forums?

dipper
11-28-2007, 05:32 AM
I would like any opinions you may have on the switch, is there anyone else here thinking about going to the Mac? Is there anything I should know or advice you could give me? Any good Mac forums?

Good luck.

Apparently there are still issues with Leopard (including a known data loss problem). See the following:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/11/22/more_leopard_problems_plague_apple/

gunslinger
11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Good luck.

Apparently there are still issues with Leopard (including a known data loss problem). See the following:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/11/22/more_leopard_problems_plague_apple/

Wow! Looks like Leopard and Vista are not as different as I thought. Oh well, I'll just put XP on it and all should be well :D

greggh
11-28-2007, 05:13 PM
The data loss problem is fixed. In the latest software updates most of the major problems with it are fixed. Its actually really nice now.

As for things to know about, Quicksilver. Best damn software for the mac ever.

gunslinger
11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks greggh. I looked up Quicksilver and it does seem pretty sweet.

greggh
11-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks greggh. I looked up Quicksilver and it does seem pretty sweet.

I honestly can't use a mac without it anymore. Its just the normal way to run/open things for me now.