PDA

View Full Version : Website critique, please

Skyhooker
03-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi, gang,

Well, I FINALLY have at least a rudimentary website up. I had counted on a friend to create one for me for the longest time, but he turned out to be less than reliable, so I had to learn to make one myself. I still know almost nothing of SEO, so I'll be adding keywords and so forth as I go, but I'd like opinions and suggestions for what I have so far.

Thanks!

Sky

kagman
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
I like it. Could use more information on the services part. The main page needs something to grab ones attention. :) Good work so far...

Skyhooker
04-01-2010, 03:37 AM
I like it. Could use more information on the services part. The main page needs something to grab ones attention. :) Good work so far...

Thanks, kagman,

Yep, I still have quite a bit to add, including a more detailed description of my services, and perhaps prices. As for an attention-grabber, I'll have to think about how to accomplish that...

cmonova
04-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Not really sure what you could add to it but I like it. It is not over the top, but it's very professional looking and loads real quick.

Seeing that you are using Joomla I would use some blocks on the "about" and "services" page on the left hand side under your menu. You have free white space there that can be used.

Skyhooker
04-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Seeing that you are using Joomla I would use some blocks on the "about" and "services" page on the left hand side under your menu. You have free white space there that can be used.

Good idea, thanks! Ain't Joomla great? There was a bit of a learning curve, especially with me having never done a website, but once it's up, changes take seconds. I started out learning Dreamweaver, for which a friend had a spare license, but there was too much to retain in my widdle teeny brain. I'm glad I made the switch!

sjlplat
04-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Good idea, thanks! Ain't Joomla great? There was a bit of a learning curve, especially with me having never done a website, but once it's up, changes take seconds. I started out learning Dreamweaver, for which a friend had a spare license, but there was too much to retain in my widdle teeny brain. I'm glad I made the switch!

Kinda funny...I use Dreamweaver for all the design elements of my development projects. Joomla confuses me. :)

Styxbound
04-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Looks great to me, Dan_ I really like the quiet, understated feel to it.

Skyhooker
04-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I really like the quiet, understated feel to it.

That's what I was going for, just simply to let people Who I am, What I do, Why they should hire me, and How to contact me. What I didn't want was a visual version of a Crazy Eddie commercial :D .

Thanks!

stevenamills
04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I didn't see the state on the front page - I know it's Illinois, but will the search engines?

Just I thought.

Skyhooker
04-03-2010, 02:46 AM
I didn't see the state on the front page - I know it's Illinois, but will the search engines?

Just I thought.

Oh, very good point. I'll have to add that tomorrow. As I said, SEO is still a mystery to me.

Thanks, Steve!

BrianB
04-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh, very good point. I'll have to add that tomorrow. As I said, SEO is still a mystery to me.

Thanks, Steve!

Here, this will help de-mystify it a bit:

http://www.webconfs.com/15-minute-seo.php