PDA

View Full Version : Basic bench machine.

atlanticjim
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
A few new techs here at TN have asked about bench machines.
You don't really need much and perhaps these refirbs from Buy.com would fit your needs. Just check that they have the slots you need.

NYJimbo
03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't get it. 52 people have read this thread so far. Not one person has said anything, but if I do it I get yelled at. Oh well, here we go.....

Jim, what refirbs are you talking about?. Was there supposed to be some kind of link in your post ? :confused:

Johnthegeek
03-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't get it. 52 people have read this thread so far. Not one person has said anything, but if I do it I get yelled at. Oh well, here we go.....

Jim, what refirbs are you talking about?. Was there supposed to be some kind of link in your post ? :confused:

Jesus Jimbo will you lay off the guy?

atlanticjim
03-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Hey Johnthegeek. . (just to continue with the threads about people here getting their panties in a bunch). .. . I took absolutely no offense at NYJimbo. I actually chuckled when I read his post as he was right. . For the noobs I really should have made some hyperlinks for they sometimes have trouble getting from point A to point B.

Jimbo and I have always been kindred spirits here. . even if he does have a bigger mouth.:D

atlanticjim
03-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Here are some of the machines that I am talking about:

IBM NetVista 8303 Small Form Factor PC, Intel Pentium 2.4GHz, 512MB, 40GB HDD, DVD-CDRW, Microsoft Window XP Pro w/ Recovery CD (Factory Refurbished) - 1-Year Warranty - IBM8303-REF (http://www.buy.com/prod/ibm-netvista-8303-small-form-factor-pc-intel-pentium-2-4ghz-512mb-40gb/q/loc/101/212820598.html) for $157.95. . sure it only has 3 PCI and one AGP slot . . that makes troubleshooting PCIe a little difficult but heck, a XPPro OEM license alone is $169.00 retail.

And Overstock.com may be another place to look. . .
HP DC7100 3.2GHz Desktop XP Pro Computer (Refurbished) (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/HP-DC7100-3.2GHz-Desktop-XP-Pro-Computer-Refurbished/3678986/product.html?rcmndsrc=2)
for $179.00 with PCIe and PCI slots, RAM is upgradable. . Might be a good starter if you put it in a different case.

Larry Sabo
03-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Jesus Jimbo will you lay off the guy?
Hey Johnthegeek. . (just to continue with the threads about people here getting their panties in a bunch)... I think you missed Johnthegeek's smiley in his post's title bar. He was kidding. I thought it was funny.

itmgr
03-30-2010, 04:49 AM
My bench machines are better than my personal computers and need to be. Good CPU ( I prefer Intel P4 for the bench) 2 GB RAM, the important part is dual IDE and SATAs so you can bench or clone any combonations of drives. XP Pro with simple networking turned off. You need a machine that can work hard for hours or days without stopping, for scans or data recovery.

mtag
03-30-2010, 05:19 AM
My bench machines are better than my personal computers and need to be. Good CPU ( I prefer Intel P4 for the bench) 2 GB RAM, the important part is dual IDE and SATAs so you can bench or clone any combonations of drives. XP Pro with simple networking turned off. You need a machine that can work hard for hours or days without stopping, for scans or data recovery.

Surely your personal computers are not P2 or P3?? Celeron?

J-Bob
03-30-2010, 07:10 AM
All of my bench machines [and kiosk machines] are quad-core (2.33), have 3G of RAM, an "ehh" video card (ATI 3450), and 200GB HDs. (they're networked to a 1T storage drive and we have a few Tera drives about the room)
We got our machines (6 machines) from the Dell refurb line (in the $400 area).

TimJacobs
03-30-2010, 07:45 AM
All of my bench machines [and kiosk machines] are quad-core (2.33), have 3G of RAM, an "ehh" video card (ATI 3450), and 200GB HDs. (they're networked to a 1T storage drive and we have a few Tera drives about the room)
We got our machines (6 machines) from the Dell refurb line (in the $400 area).

Do you mind if I ask what you use the Kiosks for??

J-Bob
03-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Do you mind if I ask what you use the Kiosks for??

My 'Kiosks' are computers customers can sit down and use whenever. (I just Acronis an image to all of them every once in a while to keep things fresh and quick) It brings a lot of people into the shop- and even at a really cheap rate they'll pay themselves off relatively quickly (we had 3, but now we're down to 2- turned it into a tech machine out of a desperate need).

I have Opera, Chrome, Safari, IE and Firefox installed on them as well as all the popular chat clients, some graphical-editing programs and a complete Office 2007 suite. (all the home pages are my business' website and the kiosks are set to automatically run CCleaner every 45 minutes in the background) People come in often to do homework, work work, goof off, shop and check their emails. :)

Simple to set up, would be even better with internet kiosk specific software preventing customers from applying changes or mucking up the computers. But the setup I have right now is low-cost and Acronis imaging is pretty quick and painless.

TimJacobs
03-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks J-Bob, I never thought about that.... So it's like a Internet Cafe right??

TLE
03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Simple to set up, would be even better with internet kiosk specific software preventing customers from applying changes or mucking up the computers. But the setup I have right now is low-cost and Acronis imaging is pretty quick and painless.

You could use Microsoft Steadystate to control the changes made to the system, I use it on a loan PC.

TLE

SThompson86
03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I picked up some test machines at The Gateway Rescue Mission. I use them for scanning HDD's

J-Bob
03-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks J-Bob, I never thought about that.... So it's like a Internet Cafe right??

Yep, it's also nice to have for when customers are waiting on their machine or something.
:cool:
Very nice to have.

Stoney
04-24-2010, 11:59 PM
"Simple to set up, would be even better with internet kiosk specific software preventing customers from applying changes or mucking up the computers."

Repair tool of the week Returnil I set this up for a customer that kept getting malware works great.