PDA

View Full Version : HELP with my vista-XP system ><!!!

dbsjkc
11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
i recently setup a dual-boot system with Vista and XP on my laptop.
since i used vista for a while and figure XP will run MUCH BETTER on my laptop, so i installed XP and now i have a dual-boot system.

but all my programs were installed in vista, is there a way to copy the registry of the programs so that i can use all those programs as if i installed them in the XP???

i tried by simply exporting and importing the software registries in regedit, but this messed up my XP since vista has some different registry in the microsoft folder...

hope someone can help me
thanks a ton ... ><!!!

greggh
11-21-2007, 09:10 PM
No, you cant do what you are asking to do. You could use something like VMWare to boot the Vista from inside of XP, and vice-versa. But that would be the only way.

Blues
11-21-2007, 09:39 PM
I installed some apps on a dual boot and just running the exe worked from Vista after I installed under the XP boot(Vista Ultimate 64 would not run the installer for the app). It is going to depend on what they application is other wise just run the install twice if you are lucky you can install to the same folder and those files don't change but it registers the app so it works to save space yet provide preformance.

dbsjkc
11-22-2007, 08:12 PM
forget it man...
i formatted it last night and get it over with...
now it's XP, faster and better ><!!!

gunslinger
11-22-2007, 08:20 PM
My experience dual booting Xp and Vista has not been a good one, I think you made the right choice sticking with XP. If you really want to play with Vista or like me you need to know how to work on it, just run it inside a virtual machine. Thats as far as It will get on my computer unless SP1 can make it as good as XP.

As a side note I'm running a dual core system with 4 gigs of RAM and XP screams on it. Vista always ran like a tranquilized slug.