PDA

View Full Version : Laptop issue.

rurbaniak
11-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Okay, I've got a strange one. Client says the "6" key is stuck down on the laptop, and they can't get it to stop. So I check it out, it looks and feels okay, but order a replacement keyboard. After I hook up the keyboard, the "6" still is stuck. You can tell by opening up notepad, and it starts typing 6 over and over.

So I thought possibly a virus/spyware of some sort, but this computer has never been on the internet, it's just used for some diagnostic stuff at a doctors office. So I boot up with ERD Commander attach to the OS, and open up notepad, same problem. Then ran ERD without attaching to an OS, and again same problem.

So, now I'm thinking BIOS, or Hardware issue other that the keyboard. Any suggestions?

JohnR
11-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Boot into a LiveCD environment, like Ubuntu Linux.

If the problem still happens there, it's definitely hardware.

If you've replaced the keyboard and it's still happening, that means it's not the keyboard hardware.

Which, given this behaviour, probably means motherboard.

I hope it's under warranty.

gunslinger
11-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I would think motherboard going by what you said, but the live CD would be my next step as well.

rurbaniak
11-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Booted up with Ubuntu, and the keyboard doesn't work at all. Mouse pad, and buttons work however. I can't select anything, F keys, arrow keys nothing, so it boots like it is. However, an external USB keyboard does work..

Hmm.. Off to try the bios now.

JohnR
11-21-2007, 05:39 PM
BIOS is a good thought, yes. Let's see if it works in there.

Thought: Disconnect the internal keyboard. Boot into windows (using a USB keyboard if necessary). See if the problem recurs.

And while you're disconnecting the keyboard, check the connection? Make sure the motherboard side of the plug isn't dirty, or something dumb like that?

rurbaniak
11-21-2007, 05:49 PM
BIOS is a good thought, yes. Let's see if it works in there.

Thought: Disconnect the internal keyboard. Boot into windows (using a USB keyboard if necessary). See if the problem recurs.

And while you're disconnecting the keyboard, check the connection? Make sure the motherboard side of the plug isn't dirty, or something dumb like that?

BIOS didn't hep. Keyboard doesn't work outside of a windows environment, and then who knows what works besides the "6" key.

I'll see if it's somehow the connector. Otherwise, it's looking like a mobo issue.

gunslinger
11-21-2007, 05:55 PM
yeah, its starting to sound like a bad MOBO, and in a laptop maybe a new system.

JohnR
11-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Otherwise, it's looking like a mobo issue.

Yup. That what I thought it was, right from the start.

But the thing about bad motherboards is that it's best to ABSOLUTELY rule out everything else, first. Replacing motherboards is just no fun at all.

Blues
11-21-2007, 09:31 PM

But the thing about bad motherboards is that it's best to ABSOLUTELY rule out everything else, first. Replacing motherboards is just no fun at all.

Desktop motherboards are easy enough to replace if you can find the model number and get the same model motherboard. I would say on a laptop best to get a new system or find the same model on ebay with a working motherboard and swap the boards if it is reasonably priced.

rurbaniak
11-21-2007, 10:28 PM

Yea, and the best method IMO. I'll take those few extra steps to be sure about a diagnosis. Last thing you want is a reputation for trying to upsell customers instead of fixing it.

JohnR
11-21-2007, 10:57 PM
If you're going to get the same laptop model, why not just swap the *hard disks*, not the motherboards?

It's much easier and less prone to fiddly accidents.

Blues
11-22-2007, 03:31 AM
well also a valid idea John but most cheap broken laptops its another pain part to replace like the screen