PDA

View Full Version : When should I clear the BIOS?

JJsMom
11-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey all this is going to sound like a silly question, but I wanted to know when and why should I clear the BIOS settings (or is it reset)? :confused:

Blues
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
If you have changed them and the system is unstable and occasionally with new hardware installs you might need to.

JJsMom
11-21-2007, 03:53 PM
So if I understand you correctly a new mobo, memory, cpu, then I should clear the BIOS? You can say that almost all of the main components on the mobo are new.

NWPhotog
11-21-2007, 05:09 PM
So if I understand you correctly a new mobo, memory, cpu, then I should clear the BIOS? You can say that almost all of the main components on the mobo are new.

I almost never reset the Bios. The only reasons I can think of are if you changed settings and caused a problem or if you think the bios settings are corrupted. Both should be VERY unusual.

Blues
11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
I have reset a BIOS maybe twice hell I don't even update my BIOS and if the mobo, which holds the BIOS, is new there is no need to reset it as it is already at factory defualt. I am saying you have a mobo and you decide to change the CPU or go from 512MB DDR2 533 RAM to 2GB or higher DDR2 800 you might need it but I would open BIOS and run CPU-Z to see if it is being read as the right memory or CPU before reseting it. This goes for any hardware you plug into the motherboard. Rarely will you need to and yes its more common a setting you changed in BIOS is bad but I have seen BIOS not read new devices properly and reseting may be easier then finding and tweaking a setting. 99.9% the time BIOS is left alone if the PC will load windows then chances are BIOS is happy and running smooth.

GraemeP
11-21-2007, 11:20 PM
I have had to reset about 4 BIOS in my life due to passwords on the Bios. But i am told there are tools to recover this password not sure if its a quick process.

gunslinger
11-22-2007, 09:08 PM
GraemeP what BIOS password recovery programs have you heard of? I have only used tools to recover or bypass the windows password, and I always just reset the BIOS pass. A tool to actually recover this would be nice.

Fred_G
11-22-2007, 10:30 PM
I have had to clear the CMOS on my computers so many times I think I could do it blindfolded! I like to overclock my stuff.:) The other posters are correct, it would be a rare thing except for a password for most shops/people.

But it can be usefull if you are trying to fix a computer that is unstable, or will not boot due to an inexperienced person playing around in the BIOS and not telling you... Lots of things you can mess with in there. If you do ever do it, make sure you put the jumper back on the correct pins, it will not boot in the 'clear' position.

Clearing the CMOS resets the BIOS to factory defaults. It is recommended to do it if you are going to update the BIOS.

E

GraemeP
11-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Gunslinger, The password recovery software for a bios that i have been told about is "Cmospwd" It wont recover all BIOS passwords tho. Also lot of BIOS manufacturers will have a backdoor password on there bios so it wont matter what the customer sets the password to the backdoor password will still gain access.

Bryce W
11-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Can you just pull the BIOS battery, wait 10 minutes and put it back in. That resets the BIOS password.

Blues
11-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Can you just pull the BIOS battery, wait 10 minutes and put it back in. That resets the BIOS password.

And there is always that jumper too atleast every board I have worked on had a BIOS reset jumper

gunslinger
11-23-2007, 11:40 PM
Some Dells I have worked on don't have a BIOS reset jumper.

dipper
11-24-2007, 02:43 AM

As long as it is still not plugged into the power.

Fred_G
11-25-2007, 05:46 AM
You need to unplug it either way, but if there is no jumper (odd in my experience) pull the battery.

E

GraemeP
11-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Wouldn't you turn the power off at the power supply or the wall and leave the power cord plugged in incases any static needs to ground out to earth?

gunslinger
11-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Any time you are inside the tower you should either ground yourself with an electrostatic wrist band or by tuching the case.

GraemeP
11-26-2007, 12:24 AM
But if you unplug the power cord there would be no ground to the case. So leave it in and turn off at the wall would be best, unless you were on your work bench that was grounded then you could clip the static wrist band to that.