PDA

View Full Version : How do Techs log Remote session for billing?

DCGPX
03-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Just wondering how do techs create session records so they can bill for remote sessions?

Not really used remote yet, still setting it up, but concious I will need some process for billing records otherwise what's to stop someone denying they actually had a remote session in first place?

At moment simply using Single Click VNC to see how it fairs, works well between family members so might use it until I get a feel of how it pans out offering remote support

geeksinroute
03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
they have own virtual remote support software to keep up log files for billing!

or they will be using the third party software's such as Remotezilla

see this link for your understanding

remotezilla.com/tour/index.html

thank you!

kagman
03-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Remotezilla looks nice but its a bit pricey.. I use logmein and gotoassist for my remote support sessions...

DCGPX
03-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Need some free/cheapish logging system, I'm only just getting into remote, SCVNC doesn't do logs but I love its simplicity, looking for some way to log it all to see how it goes.

Iconic
03-25-2010, 03:59 PM
My form of logging is an invoice. At the end of the call I look a the clock on my phone to see the length of the call. Then fill out a paper invoice with Quantity as the minutes and my minute rate to come to the total...

Invoices get entered into my Quickbooks regardless of remote or onsite repair types and if I need to refer back, quickbooks has it stored or I can look through my files for the paper copy.

Simple as that, why complicate it.

trueblue
04-09-2010, 12:12 AM
I use PCHand Screen Recorder it records everything. It saves it as a AVI file

callthatgirl
04-10-2010, 05:25 AM
I don't bill for scan times, so I usually write it down when I start and end them....I keep track of minutes. About 75% of my remote work is virus removal and computer cleanings and I have a virus removal package now, so that's not a problem. The computer cleanings may need a package at some point, it's not easy to get done in an hour sometimes.

I do alot of small office/home office consulting though, where I talk to the client the entire time, that of course is all billable.

ArgentStar
04-10-2010, 09:25 AM
A logging system software helps techs know what they have been working on. Many big IT companies employ programmers and develop a custom ticketing software in house.

atlanticjim
04-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned in this thread or the other about remote support Instant Housecall.
I have been using this occasionally and it runs just fine for my needs. Reboot ability. Ease of use for the customer. Detailed logs of activity including customer name, Problem description, Start and end times, duration, notes. . all available on one page.

It also has these features in the upgraded version.

Customized Splash Screen and Branded webspace for the customer to download the app or applet.
Customized client agreement . . they must agree to the terms and conditions before the session starts.
Online payment integration with Paypal or your shopping cart.

DCGPX
04-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all replies - Guess I'll look into the ones that log automatically.

Interested in the Virus Removal Packager that CTG mentions, struggled other day maintaining a connection due trying to remove a virus, at one point I thought it'll be easier to drive the 50miles!

It took twice as long as I expected and when it comes to billing, how do you tell customer? Dont think they were too impressed with remote at this point!

Bit more work/research required me thinks!!

MobileTechie
04-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned in this thread or the other about remote support Instant Housecall.

Have you ever used any other paid remote systems?

I use IH because I won a year's usage as a prize here. It seems quite slow but I've no idea if that is normal since it's the only system I've used.

atlanticjim
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Not to hijack the thread but. . I have only Used IH. I will probably check out some others as well.

grayfoxcomputing
05-04-2010, 08:38 PM
sorry for the late reply but I've been looking at this one for a while:

http://www.remotesupportsystem.com/

Lots of great tools and it costs less than IH. They charge by the company size, not by clients. Since I'm a one-man show, that's great for me.

Just sayin . . .

curley
05-21-2010, 08:52 PM
sorry for the late reply but I've been looking at this one for a while:

http://www.remotesupportsystem.com/

Lots of great tools and it costs less than IH. They charge by the company size, not by clients. Since I'm a one-man show, that's great for me.

Just sayin . . .

I am looking for a remote client and this one looks appealing but where is information about the company and also, look at their twitter page. Is it me or is that not very good....I need to feel secure about the company I employ.

http://twitter.com/RemoteSupport_

grayfoxcomputing
06-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I am looking for a remote client and this one looks appealing but where is information about the company and also, look at their twitter page. Is it me or is that not very good....I need to feel secure about the company I employ.

http://twitter.com/RemoteSupport_

Agreed - it looks like they're using it just to post software updates.

callthatgirl
06-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Our virus removal package is $99, unlimited and a convenience usually for the client, they don't need to haul their computer away for days and most do get the virus removed same day. We do lose connections on occasion, and it's not that bad to get reconnected.

Xander
06-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Agreed - it looks like they're using it just to post software updates.You say that like it's a bad thing. I'd sooner put my trust in a company that tweets out just the information their users need than one that pushes some "social marketing" agenda and spews endless crap all day long.

road
06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I would think it best to do a flat rate on some things depending on the service and timed on others.