PDA

View Full Version : Craigs List Tips...?

SThompson86
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Wow I just may get flamed for this, but I searched the forums and could not find anything to answer my question. Nevertheless, this has more to do with setting up an online add more that it does just craigslist.

I am wanting some advice on what to say on a Craigslist computer servicing add and how to lay things out. this info I am requesting could go for any add basically. I just do not know what approach to take, I have been posting just the facts in my add as in posting just the computer services I offer, but I notice some of the other online tech adds go on the parade of saying how they are the cheapest around and how the Geek squad does not have anything on their prices. I do not know maybe that's what I should do, but mehh that's just not my style. I also see the people that use pity as their hook and line, as in stating how they are a student struggling for money, and offer great work for a cheap price.. Self pity is not my game plan either. I am Nothing but the facts kind of guy, and I am asking for help as to if I need to change my approach.

Here is how I set up my current add . http://jackson.craigslist.org/cps/1656481099.html

I am also looking for advice on other venues other than Craigslist.

Please also take note that I am freelancer at large, I do this completely on the side, and do not have enough income to support a premium advertising campaign.

Thanks in advanced.

Shane

MrUnknown
03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Show your logo.

Mention that you are a registered business. Most people who advertise on that site are fly-by-night people who don't care.

Check your spelling ("Date Recovery," unless you truely offer to recover dates.)

Provide more details, you really don't say too much in the ad.

Get a business phone number, someone trying to find more information about your business (such as website, which you do not seem to have, get one of those also) will find some other things you are doing (as I found). Use Google Voice or something.

kagman
03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Not sure about where you live, but here in NY, advertising on craigslist is not even worth it. Ive tried and got nothing. There are so many people that advertise the same service that it ends up being way to many choices to people in need to chose from.

SThompson86
03-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Well I am not a registered buisness so I cannot say that.

As for providing more details, I really do not know what to say unless I write a paragraph on how I conduct my buisness, and what all I have to offer.

As per a get a business phone goes, this is not my full time gig, and do not have the funds to devote to a buisness phone.

I do not have a website because my web developing skills are an epic fail. lol I would have to do a template site if I did one.

I am bassicly trying to utilize every free form of advertising I can.

Thanks

fixed the typo.. lol

SThompson86
03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Not sure about where you live, but here in NY, advertising on craigslist is not even worth it. Ive tried and got nothing. There are so many people that advertise the same service that it ends up being way to many choices to people in need to chose from.

I do suffer from that also. I find that posting in the Computer Tech sales area offers more return than the services area. Everybody and their inlaws and their outlaws are posting under computer services.

kagman
03-23-2010, 02:15 PM
For a business line get yourself a google voice number.. I love it.... I might have an invite.. but i get out alot of them so far :(

SThompson86
03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I will have to look into this Google Voice because I have never heard of it.

kagman
03-23-2010, 02:20 PM
OMG you have not heard of google voice... GO!!!! Check it out...

Iconic
03-23-2010, 03:47 PM
The most important thing I am going to highlight is put a little effort into your ad. People looking through Craigslist and other free listings like kijiji or shopin... will notice the effort you put in. As long as that effort shows though in your ad quality you will get the call that your competitor will not.

In my area there are very few people that market on craigslist however I have received a few calls for service requests in any case. When ever asked why the customer choose me over my competitor the answer was that my ad looked more professional.

Here is my Ad.

http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/cps/1655958512.html

Personally I think I got a lot more work to do to this ad since it is still hosted by VFlyer instead of hosted locally on my domain. Also I hate the way it doubles up my information at the bottom of the ad but I am working on correcting all of that and making the background more personal instead of generic.

Blues
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
As for how to advertise on Criaglist I would say go similar route to any online advertisement you might hope to throw out. I would have flyers in image format and make that the post on criagslist. I would try various sizes and amount of detail for finding the optimal ad.

vdub12
03-23-2010, 04:39 PM
For a business line get yourself a google voice number.. I love it.... I might have an invite.. but i get out alot of them so far :(

O my god you save dates. I need last Tuesday back. :-)

Whats the big deal about a business phone. I personally use my cell phone. Trust me I have already created to much marketing material with that number on it to go back now, lol.

vdub12
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Heres my craigslist ad.

Honestly I have never received a call from craigslist. Not once. At one point I was worried about my number being wrong. It wasn't, I am hopping that between craigslist and my other forms of advertising I can start creating brand recognition.

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cps/1656697381.html

This is the same flier that I pass out around town.

SThompson86
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I use my cell phone also I fixed the Typo to.

SThompson86
03-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Is there any good HTML compiler/editor for putting together nice adds for craigslist?

Thanks

hardtoremember
03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Get a business license and be a legitimate business. Put that on your ad.
Personally, I won't do anything on either side of Craigslist. I don't know about where you are but here it doesn't have a very good reputation. Kind of the same as the swap-meet.

I look at it this way: you are choosing your customer. If you want the cheap people advertise on Craigslist and if you want a little better customer you can spend a couple hundred dollars to advertise in the paper in a decent section.

That's just my opinion.

vdub12
03-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Get a business license and be a legitimate business. Put that on your ad.
Personally, I won't do anything on either side of Craigslist. I don't know about where you are but here it doesn't have a very good reputation. Kind of the same as the swap-meet.

I look at it this way: you are choosing your customer. If you want the cheap people advertise on Craigslist and if you want a little better customer you can spend a couple hundred dollars to advertise in the paper in a decent section.

That's just my opinion.

I never considered advertising my business license. How would you suggest going about that. Because a business license doesn't say you are qualified it just says you pay taxes.

hardtoremember
03-23-2010, 06:09 PM
I would advertise that you are licensed and insured. Because very few of the people on there are. At least they will know that they are dealing with a real business. A business that they can call if they have some issue. Not some guy's cell phone!
A business they don't have to worry about stealing their CC or checking info or even casing their house.
Put your logo in there and a link to your website too. There are a hundred people advertising computer repair on craigslist out here and it is very difficult in most situations to tell who is really qualified.

MrUnknown
03-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Well I am not a registered buisness so I cannot say that.

How about you stop operating illegally and register your business. Otherwise you aren't any better than the people you are trying to be better than.

vdub12
03-24-2010, 01:40 AM
How about you stop operating illegally and register your business. Otherwise you aren't any better than the people you are trying to be better than.

I would have to second that. We all have to pay our taxes to.

Remember people on welfare need you, lol.

mooncat
03-24-2010, 02:23 AM
I haven't really started my advertising campaign yet (my business cards should be here by Friday, waiting on those to really kick it off), so far I have only posted on Craigslist. I got a few calls, but most no showed. They asked price, gave me a date and time to drop off and never showed. Besides that I get spam mail and a message yesterday asking "if I repair computer in volumes?" which I believe is one of those Nigerian scams. I was, however, able to meet someone from this site who works where I do because he saw my ad on craigslist, so that was cool! I figure it's free, so I'll see what work I can get out of it. Yes, I put in my ads that I am Fully Licensed and Insured, but I think the craigslist "type" are just looking for the lowest price, or looking to get something out of it for free. It's definitely not going to be my main form of advertising. This business is heavily referral based. Get out there, meet people, spread the buzz, and do good work.

SThompson86
03-24-2010, 01:16 PM

This is just something I do on the side, and not something I am wanting to invest any money in at this point. If I had money to invest into my company I sure would not be making a post about how to make a better Craigs list add.

SThompson86
03-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Heres my craigslist ad.

Honestly I have never received a call from craigslist. Not once. At one point I was worried about my number being wrong. It wasn't, I am hopping that between craigslist and my other forms of advertising I can start creating brand recognition.

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cps/1656697381.html

This is the same flier that I pass out around town.

Very Nice, that is what I need to do get a picture/flier instead of text.

The calls I receive are usually people wanting work done for chump change.

atlanticjim
03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I advertise on CL for the past few weeks but frankly have not had one call.
I do like VDub does and made a flyer in MS Publisher, saved it at JPG and uploaded it. Since the CL filters cannot read the text in a graphic file, I can post more often than once a week by just changing the wording in the post and using the same jpg with different names (like CLmonday.jpg , CLtuesday.jpg).

MrUnknown
03-24-2010, 02:35 PM
This is just something I do on the side, and not something I am wanting to invest any money in at this point. If I had money to invest into my company I sure would not be making a post about how to make a better Craigs list add.

you are still running into the problem that you can not legally operate as a business without the license.

Imagine you get a customer and he isn't happy about your service, it is very easy to report people. Take a guess as to how many fines you will have to pay.

arrow_runner
03-24-2010, 02:54 PM
you are still running into the problem that you can not legally operate as a business without the license.

Imagine you get a customer and he isn't happy about your service, it is very easy to report people. Take a guess as to how many fines you will have to pay.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I honestly doubt he'll run into any big legal trouble with anyone on craiglist unless he gets a business client and something catches on fire.

I think it's ok to do a little work on craigslist at first and then build into a real business if that's what he wants to do. It's what I did.

Screwloose
03-24-2010, 03:17 PM

Unless he is working on systems that are owned for a business then he is probably safe.... as far as doing side work unlicensed well sometimes it just doesnt pay if you only work on a few machines a month. Heck sometimes I will go a several months and not get any calls. doesnt really pay to get insurance and a license if you only do side work and it is not steady.

emsbronco
03-24-2010, 11:01 PM
I occasionally post on CraigsList, but I don'rt expect to get too much business out of it directly. Rather, I make sure the ad is loaded up with good key words and points to my website. Use it for free SEO.

I have several ready made ads (different wording, etc), so all I have to do is cut and paste them to post a new ad. If I get one customer a month out of spending 15 minutes a month posting to CL, it was worth it.

cmonova
03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Your best bet is to use an image for your ad. People tend to like seeing that more and have it redirect right to your website. I just use graphics I've had done up for other things like this one:

http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cps/1662102737.html

pcSAVANTS
04-02-2010, 10:41 AM
anyone noticed a significant drop in spam in the services section? I noticed today that there were 25% of the original amounts of posts. ie you could fit 2 or 3 days on a single page.

I normally don't waste too much time on CL due to the spammers. Hell there is a guy in AZ that posts at least 15 times a day and runs 5 different websites. Not to mention he auto posts reviews on just about every site and post negative reviews (in the form of an advertisment) for all his competition.

In the past when there was not a lot of spam I managed to get a few jobs a week off CL.

Xander
04-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Mention that you do the work in the nude and they can pay you with pizza.

SThompson86
04-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Well since this thread I have put together a little flier that I attatch as a picture to my add. A fews days after I did this the rest of the local pizza techs caught on and they all started making picture fliers, and they also started puting these retarted looking squares and ASCII symbols in thier titles. I dunno the place has gone stupid, everybody trying to scream the loudest.

Dont worry Housecalls I am working going this week to meet with my CPA and talk about getting my company licensed. but yea, I want have time to really persue it right now inbetween school and working as a tech intern at a local company here. Nonetheless, though I want to be legit no matter what.

L-CSteve
04-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Hey,

As my business is currently home based, i do not want to pay for a business phone line. I also havent herd about Google Voice. I have been using a service from 08 Direct. i have my 0844 number which routes to my landline which is Brill.

The best thing is i now when its a business call because i have Call Whisper & Auto Attendant enabled.

atlanticjim
04-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Since my last post I have been picking up some work from CL.

#1 A DJ with a iPod sync problem. Serviced, paid and he wants me back next week to teach him a thing or two.

#2 Guy wanted his father's 'puter tuned up. I gave my price and he balked and said he would go with someone cheaper (I think he will be back).

#3 Guy called for a DC jack job. "I know the motherboard has to be replaced". I said not necessarily. Talked to him a bit and gave my price. He said "that sounds good, everyone else on CL is just a kid home from college, it sounds like you know what you are doing." Next day, picked up his laptop and his grandson's as well, both for DC Jack replacements. One of them is a Toshiba and I will post some interesting things about that one when it is done.

Also noted that a local shop (someone who used to be active on TN until a few months ago) has an ad that just trashes all the other techs on CL. "We actually have a location and a license and insurance and certificates". I have never found it to be profitable to trash others, I just impress with my superior knowledge and skills:p.

Another note: Google Craigslist + ghosting. Sometimes during the day my listing will disappear but when I look at my account it will show as active. Even more interesting is just now on my computer, I could not see my add but on my wifes. . . I could. Hmmmmm.

hardtoremember
04-07-2010, 02:04 AM
I have never found it to be profitable to trash others

I think it has quite the opposite effect.

Glad to hear you're getting work!

SThompson86
06-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Well I have been advertising on Craigs pretty hard core for the last few weeks, and I think it is just a waist of time. There is not many people really posting on there like me and 3 other techs. But they are all Pizza techs..

I have talked to them, and they adjust there prices on a basis of the person. If they sense that the person does not have a lot of money they will cut their prices in half just to get the job.. I personally think that is ridiculous, and no way to run a business. If a person does not like my prices well they can ride the boat because I am not going to change my whole game on spot just to make a buck..

But yea, I think I am about done posting on there. I do not get any customers from craigslist. All I get is stupid price check calls from people thinking I offer cheap cheap work. Plus I feel cheap listed with all the other pizza techs.

hardtoremember
06-06-2010, 12:00 AM
I have talked to them, and they adjust there prices on a basis of the person. If they sense that the person does not have a lot of money they will cut their prices in half just to get the job.. I personally think that is ridiculous, and no way to run a business.

See the difference here is that they aren't actual businesses and they most likely never will be. I guess the way I look at it is to think about what I go to Craigslist for... Nothing! There is no way in heck I would hire someone off of there.

Most of the people looking for services on CL are looking for super cheap and are probably not the kind of customer you are looking for. You are choosing your customer base in a number of different ways not the least of which are where and what you advertise. Just my opinion.

SThompson86
06-06-2010, 05:25 PM
See the difference here is that they aren't actual businesses and they most likely never will be. I guess the way I look at it is to think about what I go to Craigslist for... Nothing! There is no way in heck I would hire someone off of there.

Most of the people looking for services on CL are looking for super cheap and are probably not the kind of customer you are looking for. You are choosing your customer base in a number of different ways not the least of which are where and what you advertise. Just my opinion.

Yea.. I think I am going to disregard advertising on there because I just get junk calls. Thanks man!