PDA

View Full Version : Good distros to try out

andrewrost3241981
03-22-2010, 09:11 PM
I use Debian Stable AMD64 as my main OS. I recently started using Virtualbox so that I can use Windows XP, Vista, and 7 under Linux. I also installed other versions of Linux, OpenSolaris, and FreeBSD (just out of curiosity about what they were like). I have Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mandrake installed also. I was wondering if there were any distros that you think might be worth experimenting with. I am not really looking to switch to something different than Debian, I was just curious about other distros and how they worked. What are some other good distros that might be worth playing with?

kagman
03-22-2010, 09:27 PM
I hear that puppy linux is really nice and fast.. have not tried it yet myself. You can try fedora, knoppix, etc etc...

MrUnknown
03-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Gentoo is a pretty unique distro to work with. Compiles everything from source.

topaz
03-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi
I have used puppylinux since v109 and have found its adaptability fantastic
run it off camera SD card, usb, cd, muliti save on DVD, hard drive even an mp3 player. I can remaster the distro in 5 minuits flat. Its small, runs in ram if required
Have used it as my main system for years.
I have found it good for virus work installed on a flash stick write protected on a desktop with no hard drive as the virus cant escape.
You can easly make your own system rescue disc as well

sjlplat
03-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Mint is pretty impressive. I normally recommend it for people who want a user-friendly distro to learn about Linux. It's pretty bloated, but the snazzy GUI makes it ideal for beginners.

ManagerIT
03-23-2010, 07:20 AM
from last five years .. i am using a Red Hat Linux ... Red Hat, was a popular Linux based OS ... Red Hat is the world's leading open source technology solutions provider .... its work very much fine with me.. try this one also...
i am sure you also like that Red Hat Linux

Cuban_Tech
03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I really like Slackware. I think it is hard to use but it is every stable and will help you a lot if you are into information security. Another benefit for me is that you really have to understand the terminal to use it which means that after a while you'll become at least a Linux power user. Practice makes perfect and with Slackware you'll have to practice. I know I do.

Eddie
03-24-2010, 02:16 AM
I'm an ubuntu or variant of it type of guy. Atm I'm predominantly using cruncbang on my netbook as well as an old inspiron 510m and it runs very well on both.

Daevien
03-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Currently I have Backtrack 4 installed on my 12" toshiba laptop, it works quite well, but it's not really for main usage, not a lot of stuff in there to make usage easy, it's all penetration testing, etc

Before that, the one I stuck with most was crunchbang, which is quite nice. They jsut recently put out a new beta version of crunchbang with the new setup of being based off of debian rather than ubuntu

bensthelens
03-25-2010, 12:48 AM
That Jolicloud absolutely rocks! :)

DarDar
03-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Another vote for Puppy! Its brilliant for data recovery from a non-booting system and loads real quick. I've used it in conjuction with Clonezilla too as a method for getting files out of a clonezilla backup. I've also given it to friends to boot really old hardware as a pc for the kids.

lgtechcomputers
04-05-2010, 03:33 AM
from last five years .. i am using a Red Hat Linux ... Red Hat, was a popular Linux based OS ... Red Hat is the world's leading open source technology solutions provider .... its work very much fine with me.. try this one also...
i am sure you also like that Red Hat Linux

I second that with a twist. Try Fedora.

Backtrack is definitely another one to try.

Chilli
05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
I use slax (slax.org) on a USB. That's what I use mainly for data recovery. It's pretty cool. I have a new netbook, so I might try out Jolicloud. I tried the Ubuntu netbook version last night with Virtualbox, (I run win 7 as main OS) and it just didn't work properly, plus I didn't like the layout. So I'll give puppy and Jolicloud a go.

Chilli
05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
If you want an easy way to try out Linux distros on your USB, try this cool free tool: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for a variety of Linux distributions from Windows or Linux, without requiring you to burn a CD. You can either let it download one of the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .iso file if you've already downloaded one or your preferred distribution isn't on the list.

I use this to create Slax.

You can also Boot Multiple ISOs from a USB using MultiBoot USB Menu - See here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-multiboot-usb/