PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu for a customer

JW The Computer Guy
03-20-2010, 02:42 AM
Ever done it? If so, how do they like it? I installed Ubuntu on my neighbours pc not too long ago, and they love it:)

andrewrost3241981
03-20-2010, 07:36 AM
I recently sold a refurbished computer to an elderly couple that has Ubuntu on it. I told them they could have Windows on it, but it would cost them an extra $100, so they went with Linux instead. The computer is mainly for the wife there. All she said she really wanted the computer for was to play solitaire, check email, browse the Internet, and create text documents. They still do not have access to the Internet, but once they do get Internet access I am supposed to hook everything up for them. I had asked the woman there if she was used to working with Microsoft Office and Microsoft Word and she said she didn't even know what Microsoft Office was. I demonstrated the computer to them after I hooked it up and I think that the couple were impressed with it. I remembered to tell them that if they were to see software at the store that it wouldn't work on their computer, and they were fine with that. I will have to wait until I have set up their Internet to see how they really like it.

iisjman07
03-20-2010, 08:09 AM
I remembered to tell them that if they were to see software at the store that it wouldn't work on their computer, and they were fine with that.

Yeah that's the hardest part of convincing people. I sold a computer that had puppy linux on it (not by customer choice though), I think it was an 800MHz, 128mb RAM old laptop, and the customer wanted Windows. After I told him there was no way that would happen he left quite happy with Puppy. I love puppy, everythings so fast!!!!!

kwisher
03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
I currently have been paid by eight customers to install Linux Mint on their machines. I also have five family members using Linux Mint. Two of the paying customers are not using Linux as a desktop but as a server.

I gently pushed Linux onto my family members because I was getting tired of cleaning their Windows installs once or twice a year for free.

For a potential customer, I usually recommend Linux only if I feel they are capable of using it. I have a spare laptop that I loan out for a couple of weeks for them to try it out.

If my 60+ year old mother and mother-in-law can use Linux, just about anyone can be taught and learn it.

kagman
03-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I currently have been paid by eight customers to install Linux Mint on their machines. I also have five family members using Linux Mint. Two of the paying customers are not using Linux as a desktop but as a server.

I gently pushed Linux onto my family members because I was getting tired of cleaning their Windows installs once or twice a year for free.

For a potential customer, I usually recommend Linux only if I feel they are capable of using it. I have a spare laptop that I loan out for a couple of weeks for them to try it out.

If my 60+ year old mother and mother-in-law can use Linux, just about anyone can be taught and learn it.

Hey I love that idea about loaning an old machine like a laptop with linux on it so that people can try it out.. Cool idea...

iisjman07
03-20-2010, 07:17 PM

A year? I get that every week ;)

Methical
03-20-2010, 10:56 PM
A year? I get that every week ;)

Lol thats why I moved to the other end of the country.

That way its yearly for me, when I go down South for Christmas.

Thinkin' bout getting me one of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/frustrations/388b/

sjlplat
03-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Thinkin' bout getting me one of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/frustrations/388b/

I bought a bunch of those shirts awhile back. They get a lot of attention -- particularly the ones with scripting and SQL commands. :p

TheShield
03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I use Linux for a lot of things. I have a lot of friends and co-workers that use very basic computing needs. The standard, watch videos, email, web etc. I try to push Linux on them because they are the worst to try and save their Windows systems because they do SO much web searching and visit a tremendous amount of infected areas it becomes cumbersome since I opened the door of, "Ill take a look for you." Now my phone rings constantly and I see no revenue for it.

I either show them Ubuntu or the very sexy Linux Mint and most are worries about using Linux but all they really need to know are "Firefox, Documents Folder, Picture Folder and e-mail. No leave me alone! lol :)

vdub12
04-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Yeah that's the hardest part of convincing people. I sold a computer that had puppy linux on it (not by customer choice though), I think it was an 800MHz, 128mb RAM old laptop, and the customer wanted Windows. After I told him there was no way that would happen he left quite happy with Puppy. I love puppy, everythings so fast!!!!!

Have you ever tried crossover office.

I use it with OpenSUSE 11.2 and I also run MS office 2003.