PDA

View Full Version : WTB off-lease machine from Dell, HP/Compaq etc...

tankman1989
03-20-2010, 12:47 AM
When I worked for dell doing system rollouts (hundreds to thousands of machines at a time) for businesses, we would pack the old machines up on a pallet and they would be shipped out to be "recycled" or resold.

I've seen a lot of these old Compaq/HP desktops which are P4 2.8-3.2 w/ 512-2Gb ram. These are basically what I am looking for. I need to find out where they dump these machines so I can pick up about 10-20 of them for a project I am doing.

Basically what I need is some machines which can run a Linux distro without a GUI, so a plain Jane / bare bones type setup would do. I think 512mb ram is sufficient.

I've seen these at computer shows (yeah, it was pretty depressing going to one of these) for $65-80, which seems a little steep if I am going to be buying 20 of these machines.

Does anyone know where I can find bulk P4's for a good price?

Any brand will be fine. Dell, HP, Compaq, IBM, etc.

chrisaroz
03-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Dell Financial Services sells them, you'll want to contact them and see what the story is. They sell a lot on their own auction site, but I'm sure they sell them in bulk too.

tankman1989
03-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Dell Financial Services sells them, you'll want to contact them and see what the story is. They sell a lot on their own auction site, but I'm sure they sell them in bulk too.

Thank you. I didn't know Dell had an auction site.

Elemdee
03-20-2010, 01:35 AM
When I worked for dell doing system rollouts (hundreds to thousands of machines at a time) for businesses, we would pack the old machines up on a pallet and they would be shipped out to be "recycled" or resold.

I've seen a lot of these old Compaq/HP desktops which are P4 2.8-3.2 w/ 512-2Gb ram. These are basically what I am looking for. I need to find out where they dump these machines so I can pick up about 10-20 of them for a project I am doing.

Basically what I need is some machines which can run a Linux distro without a GUI, so a plain Jane / bare bones type setup would do. I think 512mb ram is sufficient.

I've seen these at computer shows (yeah, it was pretty depressing going to one of these) for $65-80, which seems a little steep if I am going to be buying 20 of these machines.

There is a recycler in Charlotte which currently has a stack of Dells, P4,processors might be a bit slower, around 1.7-2.+, 512MB Ram. (didn't see any with more than 512MB ram) I stop by and dumpster-dive for gold once in a while and talk shop with the guys. They had stacks of these machines earlier this week. PM me if you're interested and I'll get you contact information.

tankman1989
03-20-2010, 01:38 AM
There is a recycler in Charlotte which currently has a stack of Dells, P4,processors might be a bit slower, around 1.7-2.+, 512MB Ram. (didn't see any with more than 512MB ram) I stop by and dumpster-dive for gold once in a while and talk shop with the guys. They had stacks of these machines earlier this week. PM me if you're interested and I'll get you contact information.

The speed makes no difference. As long as the computer has a network adapter that works, can load a 2GB Linux OS and doesn't have faulty hardware (shutdown / poweroff for no reason).

I'm interested in whatever can be found as cheap as possible because this is basically to learn shell / Bash commands, so it needs only to be very basic.

HubCityPC
03-20-2010, 02:42 AM

Not sure about in your area but check out my post in this (http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13608&highlight=state+auctions) thread.

Kevin

Joines
04-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Looks like someone beat me to it, but Dell's auction website has cheap stuff.

http://www.dellauction.com

I never knew they had an auction site until fairly recently. I've directed some customers who've been laid off and need a cheap computer (thats didn't want to use our loaners) for job searching / working from home.

stidham
04-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow, They've got some good deals out there. I'm going to watch that and see if I can pick myself up a D630 laptop cheap. It's the same one I use at my real job and I like it a lot and maybe some 19 in flat panels

manderso
04-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks very much for the site!

itmike
04-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Try e-bay I know the guy that I used to work under would order IBM thinkpads by the lot. Though the only thing is they aren't guaranteed when buying in bulk. I remember we would have some with bios or hard drive passwords on them. We just parted those out. Then we would get some really nice machines surprisingly. He won a lot of 20 thinkpads with Pentium 4's and 1 gig (some had 2 gigs) for like $1000. Luckily they was all in working order. It's hard too tell what your getting when you buy those lot deals. Most of them don't list the specs or conditioned. No guarantee of condition or refunds. The description on most are vague ie. "Lot of 20 thinkpads". The thing is when your buying bulk it's going to be hard for you to find anyone that is going to sell you 20 "working" computers and say everyone of them is working. When you buy bulk like that you get a great price but the quality and customer service goes out the window. The thing my old boss told me when we looked at these lots is hopefully 30% or 3 out of 10 can be made to work, to make some profit on them, anything after was a cherry. I forget how many screen transplants I did on those thing, oh good times.