PDA

View Full Version : Limited or no connectivity fix

Andyuk2007
11-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi All, I've never come across this problem before with a computer, today i had a customer that had a limited or no connectivity problem. I was asked to install a netgear DG834G to replace an old bt hub that they had, however i couldnt even install the new router due to it finding fault with the local area network.

they are using windows xp, i did try the standard line tests and filter checks but thats all fine and the router lights are stable

It said in the bottom right hand corner that the network had a limited connection, now apparently it was working fine 2 days before and no settings had been changed, since ive never come across this i dont know how to fix it.

its silly for a engineer to ask this but what the heck do i do :(

thanks

greggh
11-17-2007, 05:12 PM
It could be a few things. One of them is malware messing up the winsock stack. You can use WinsockFix (http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip) for that. It will reset the winsock stuff back to default.

If that doesnt do it try reinstalling the drivers (or updating them) for the network card. If your still stuck, try a different network card.

That would be the first three things I try with that situation.

dipper
11-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Another few ideas are

- disable or uninstall any firewalls that are installed.
- Try a different network cable
- Try a different port ont he router.

Andyuk2007
11-18-2007, 10:10 AM
It could be a few things. One of them is malware messing up the winsock stack. You can use WinsockFix (http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip) for that. It will reset the winsock stuff back to default.

If that doesnt do it try reinstalling the drivers (or updating them) for the network card. If your still stuck, try a different network card.

That would be the first three things I try with that situation.

I've downloaded the fix so i will try that i just hope it works

Bryce W
11-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Mentioning the obvious as it can sometimes be forgotten.. Try cycling the routers power. Sometimes they just seize up and stop working properly, even though the lights appear to be doing the right thing.

Andyuk2007
11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Well After 2 days of trying to get there connection working again i contacted there ISP called Talktalk, it seems that there account was disabled for some reason so thats why the router wouldnt connect properly.

blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! so it wasn't a computer issue after all but a problem with there isp account, 2 days of me hunting and scratching my head on what it could be. I did some get more work out of it because now they want a new system building as there current computer is rather old and i told them i can build them one if we get the bits of ebuyer.com so i'm going to go through with them at some point on the best system for there needs :)

there son liked to play world of warcraft so it will have to have a good graphics card and cpu, memory e.t.c. heck i might recommened the same specs as my computer.

Bryce W
11-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Glad you figured it out, sounds like one of my experiences.
I was once called out to a job to install an ADSL modem. Before I went onsite I went to the ISP's website to gather all their internet settings and while I was there, I checked their service status and everything was fine.

I arrived to the job, set it all up but it wasnt working. Ive setup hundreds of ADSL modems and this one was no different, yet it wasnt working. So I checked all the filters, cycled the modem, checked the settings etc.. with still no luck. After about 30 minutes of scratching my head I called the ISP and they said that just had an outage in that area starting about an hour ago...

"ah! son of a..." :mad:

Andyuk2007
11-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Glad you figured it out, sounds like one of my experiences.
I was once called out to a job to install an ADSL modem. Before I went onsite I went to the ISP's website to gather all their internet settings and while I was there, I checked their service status and everything was fine.

I arrived to the job, set it all up but it wasnt working. Ive setup hundreds of ADSL modems and this one was no different, yet it wasnt working. So I checked all the filters, cycled the modem, checked the settings etc.. with still no luck. After about 30 minutes of scratching my head I called the ISP and they said that just had an outage in that area starting about an hour ago...

"ah! son of a..." :mad:

Yeah i was totally baffled as to why there new adsl router was not syncing with the phone line, i went through everything on that computer i even replaced the filter and tried that but as i said in my previous post it was a problem with there internet account.

Each day i learn something new in this business, it would be nice if i was a little busier. I'm taking driving lessons so i can advertise further out then the 3 villages then i advertise in at the moment. I regret not learning to drive when i was 17.

This afternoon i had a few slow computers to fix, i'm really enjoying my hobby and getting paid for it :D

nonchalant
12-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Dont feel too bad. Ive found after dealing with a number of seemingly complex PC issues, its easy to fall into the trap of overlooking the obvious and going for the jugglier. I still fall into it occassionally and I defintiely should know better. Damn frustrating lol..

gunslinger
12-05-2007, 01:32 PM
I also find myself falling into that trap once in a while. Something that helps that I have started doing recently is to right down the problem the customer is having and make a list of fixes ranging from least complex to most complex. In this case the first thing would have been to cycle the routers power, then try a different port ont he router, next check firewall settings, then driver issues and so on untill you have gone down the list. I try not to call the ISP if I can help it because to some people it makes you look like you don't know what you are doing, so its a last resort. But it would be the last thing on the list.

tartis
12-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I bet that half the time I go out on a broadband issue; it turns out to be the fault of the ISP. Having the support numbers in your PDA is a good thing to have before spending countless hours troubleshooting. Also hooking up your own laptop to the client router will sometimes exonerate the customer PC from being the problem.

gunslinger
12-05-2007, 05:08 PM
I bet that half the time I go out on a broadband issue; it turns out to be the fault of the ISP. Having the support numbers in your PDA is a good thing to have before spending countless hours troubleshooting. Also hooking up your own laptop to the client router will sometimes exonerate the customer PC from being the problem.

Agreed. Having a laptop with you is a good idea as are the support #'s , thats why I ask my customers who their ISP is before I even go out. As for the ISP being the problem most of the time, for me its been different. About 80% of the time I cure the problem with either a router reset or a new network card.

Nabeel
12-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Hi, This post of mine is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,