PDA

View Full Version : Outside Sales Rep

vertexcg
03-17-2010, 03:36 PM
How many of you utilize an outside sales rep?

For those that do:
Do you offer commission only or a base pay plus a smaller commission percentage?

sedigital
03-18-2010, 10:54 PM
I'd also be interested on people doing this, and also what your results are if you have an outside rep.

LukeD
03-19-2010, 02:23 AM
First things first, what are they going to be selling? I do not know of any break/fix shops having an outside sales rep. Would they go door to door or something?

If you are targeting businesses then that makes sense but usually you are the outside sales rep until you have enough ongoing contracts to support the payroll of another person.

There are 4-5 MSP/VAR businesses in my local area (population area about 1 million), I happen to know some details on two because of a relationship with an employee and I consult for another.

They've been in business for 15+ years, last 5 years 10+ million in sales per year, they had 2 outside sales reps and are now down to 1 as of early last year. Most if not all of their business is block time, managed services and SMB hardware, some low voltage. In Feb 2009 they were in the top 30 of global MSPs ranked by MSPMentor.com

The one I consult for on occasion has no outside sales rep and uses really good marketing and targeted campaigns to his ideal clients. He has the businesses calling him to setup an appointment for a network or backup audit and goes from there. He may never need a rep since his marketing does most of the hard work opening the door.

My recommendation, to start, get your wife or girlfriend to start making rounds to local businesses in your area that fit into what would be your ideal clients. Have them take cookies and marketing material about once a month for at least a year, also do some lumpy mail with a good call to action for a free network or backup audit and get your foot in the door. You have to have your %^&* together because you only get one chance to make a good impression. If you are going the MSP route look up Robin Robins and lay down some cash for her marketing strategies/seminars. This guy I work for uses her and is building his business fast. He targets CPA’s, dentists and attorneys. He stays away from anything having to do with construction, architects, etc.

Lastly, read as many marketing books as you can get your hands on, you could be the best tech in the world but if nobody knows it then your toast.

Luke

LukeD
03-19-2010, 02:28 AM
How many of you utilize an outside sales rep?

For those that do:
Do you offer commission only or a base pay plus a smaller commission percentage?

The one MSP I know about, their sales rep/s make 30k base salary + commission and crap benefits. I am sure they have monthly goals/targets they have to meet, no idea what they are. I am sure you could find some one to do sales for commission only but you better be able to deliver a solid offering or they won’t be making any money.

Luke