PDA

View Full Version : destination folder access denied. Help me

Andyuk2007
11-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I dunno why or how but i cant delete some empty folders from my external hard drive, ive tried everything to delete these folders but i get the same message all the time.

I've searched on google for solution and tried it but it doesnt delete them.

please can someone tell me how to remove them, ive tried the unlocker program but this is no good.

thanks

thecoldone06
11-13-2007, 04:34 PM
have you tried Killbox (http://killbox.net/)? If not give that a shot.

Simmy
11-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I can recommend a program called "unlocker", which I guess is the same as Killbox. If that fails, run chkdsk on the drive.

Andyuk2007
11-13-2007, 04:53 PM
I can recommend a program called "unlocker", which I guess is the same as Killbox. If that fails, run chkdsk on the drive.

I already tried unlocker it didnt work, and congrats on mod position simon :D

I've tried killbox but its not working either :( i dunno what to do to delete these folders, maybe i should go back to xp and delete them then instal vista again but thats drastic :/

Simmy
11-13-2007, 05:41 PM

Can you plug the hard drive into another computer and delete the folders/files from there? That would certainly do the job. Or boot into a windows/UBCD boot disc?

Edit - sorry I just realised it was an external drive. Do you have programs installed on the drive?

Andyuk2007
11-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Can you plug the hard drive into another computer and delete the folders/files from there? That would certainly do the job. Or boot into a windows/UBCD boot disc?

Edit - sorry I just realised it was an external drive. Do you have programs installed on the drive?

hmm well what happened is this......... today i used my external hard drive to do some data backing up on a vista computer so i backed up the files. once xp was put on the computer i copied the contents from the external drive onto xp and these 4 folders popped up on my external HD and i use windows vista, only now i cant get them off no matter what i do.

I've tried solutions for this problem but they dont work its a permission issue that i cant resolve.

thecoldone06
11-13-2007, 06:08 PM
using a ID with admin rights, are you able to right click, go to properties then to security and force yourself to be the owner of the files and then delete them?

greggh
11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
thecoldone is probably correct. You need to take ownership and give yourself full control. Then you should be able to do it.

The Goatboy
11-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I 3rd the motion, that should work; if not throw it out. Just kidding.

Andyuk2007
11-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I've tried to give myself owner rights but it still wont work :(

thecoldone06
11-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Did you right click the folder >> properties >> security tab >> advanced >> owner tab and add yourself there?

Andyuk2007
11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Did you right click the folder >> properties >> security tab >> advanced >> owner tab and add yourself there?

yep i did that but it didnt work :(

JohnR
11-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Okay, too much time spent worrying about how to fix the problem elegantly, not enough solutions. At this point, do you really care WHY the problem is happening? Or would you rather just fix it?

If you want to just fix it, let's go brute force, and fdisk.

It's an external drive, meaning you're not worried about an OS or any program installs, just data. Copy everything you need to keep off the disk, then fdisk it. Delete the partitions and reformat from bare metal up.

Let's see a wacky permissions issue survive *that*.

JohnR
11-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Alternate thought, if you want to try one last thing that's a little faster:

Stick a Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop disk in your CD drive, and boot from it.
Navigate to the USB drive (it should appear on your desktop by default).
Delete the files.

If you don't have a Ubuntu disk, download and burn one. They're priceless in terms of checking hardware, working around software permission blocks, repartitioning live drives without losing data, and recovering data from corrupt installations without having to boot from the drive or move it to a different machine, or use the recovery console.

Bryce W
11-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Does it have a "Private" option ticked when you right click and goto Properties? If so, uncheck it.

greggh
11-14-2007, 03:21 AM
The ubuntu option is a good one. But it could be something wrose with the filesystem so JohnR's suggestion of an fdisk/format might be the right way to go.

Andyuk2007
11-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Okay, too much time spent worrying about how to fix the problem elegantly, not enough solutions. At this point, do you really care WHY the problem is happening? Or would you rather just fix it?

If you want to just fix it, let's go brute force, and fdisk.

It's an external drive, meaning you're not worried about an OS or any program installs, just data. Copy everything you need to keep off the disk, then fdisk it. Delete the partitions and reformat from bare metal up.

Let's see a wacky permissions issue survive *that*.

I might have to do that as nothing else will get these folders deleted.