PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP problem...

joebloom1
11-12-2007, 06:15 AM
it all started with a black screen and the following "driver not ready- system halted". I reset the system and was able to get to the desktop without a taskbar. Whenever I attempt to start a program I get the error "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.
I also got another error "MMC failed to initialize because it was installed incorrectly or because a portion of the registry has become corrupted. Make sure the file Mmcndmgr.dll is registered by running "regsvr32%SystemRoot%\system32\mmcndmgr.dll".

What is the solution to all of these problems????

Thanks In Advance for your help.

greggh
11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
You have some malware (virus/spyware.) You need to clean it up. Your best bet it to do it from another environment. Booting into your own windows is horribly broken now, so you will have to use a boot disc and clean it up from there. I would recommend a windows based boot cd so you can use spybot and a startup manager. For startup work in a booted windows environment EZ PC Fix is probably the best tool.

Give Ultimate BootCD for windows a try, or get a technician who can do all of that if you dont feel up to it.

JohnR
11-13-2007, 11:47 PM
It's theoretically possible that what you've got is just a software problem, not a spyware or virus problem.

Rather than attempt to recover your system, it's often simpler to back up your data files and then wipe the machine clean. It's important, however, to be very careful to not re-infect yourself with whatever took down your old machine, if it was a virus.

joebloom1
11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
for your replies JohnR and greggh. It is a software issue and I will be re-installing a fresh o.s. on a new hard drive and transfer my data to the new drive. I hope this will solve my problem.:D