PDA

View Full Version : My First Advertising Campaign.

jschalk
03-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Hi

So Heres what I am going to do for my first advertising campaign.

This only Start in April/May

-Yellow Pages Ad.
-Local Newspaper
-Google Ad words ( I wasn't going to do this but I have a good friend who specializes in it.)
- Flyers
-Car wrap.

Let me know what you think and what success.failures you have had with these.

Thanks.

LukeD
03-10-2010, 06:46 AM
In my opinion don't do the YP ad, the google ad words, news paper or fliers, everyone does this and it almost always gets no results.

You have to set yourself apart from everyone else, you have train people to see you as the local expert and then a trusted advisor.

A local repair shop did a "Free Virus Clinic" a few months ago, they blogged it and spread the word through social media sites. It was one day only from 10am-4pm, over 125 people showed up, the line went around the market they are next 2. They cleaned over 125 machines for free. But, they also got 125+ contacts for any future marketing and all that word of mouth, I know they lost a ton of money for that day or week but it is going to pay off in spades for years! I always wonder why more new restaraunts don;t give away free food, that way people can try it and see how great it is, would you rather lose money being open and empty or showing everyone what you got, lose money, but gain all those customers that loved what you have?

Yeah they have a store front maybe you don't but the point is instead of losing money being open and paying employees to do nothing waiting for business they put them to work and built a client list.

Read everything Callthatgirl has posted, she has had some of the best advice I have ever read on here when it comes to marketing.

NateDawg
03-10-2010, 06:28 PM
I started doing Google Adwords about 4 weeks ago and I have to say that it has been successful. While the first two (2) weeks of the campaign, it was very, very slooww. However, the last two (2) weeks has been the busiest since I have opened my business. All the clients from the last two (2) came from the Adwords campaign. Oh yea...the amount of clients I got from the last two (2) weeks is more than I got in the last six (6) months. :D

RhodyTech
03-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Yellow pages still works just fine *if* you do it right. You need to be in the local book at the very least and should be able to get a decent sized spot for $50/mo or so.

the name of the game with local advertising is "equity position". You need to be the first thing that pops into someone's head when they suddenly have a PC problem. Only way to do that is get your name out there...as many places as possible.

LTH-Joe
03-11-2010, 02:04 AM
From Google AdWords I have recieved 20+ visits in the last month to my site and not one of them converted to an actual client.

LukeD
03-11-2010, 04:29 AM
From Google AdWords I have recieved 20+ visits in the last month to my site and not one of them converted to an actual client.

Joe, this should tell you something, that they are getting to your site but are not buying, you need a call to action, I have not seen your site but if all it does is tell them about you then you need to change your copy to tell them "whats in it for them" by using you.

You can have the best service in the world but if you don;t market it right no one will ever know.

Couple of books I recommend

Duct Tape marketing by John Jantsch http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/
Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Levinson http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Marketing-Secrets-Profits-Business/dp/0395906253

Sign up for their free news letters, see how they market their stuff, these guys make millions because of their marketing, sure they have a great product but who would know if their marketing sucked? It just so happens that they are marketing well marketing but it's the most important, most neglected aspect of building a successful business, even if you have a one page site with say something like this;

"Donít Trust Your Computer or The Irreplaceable Files On It To Just Anyone!

Hiring the wrong computer repair guy can not only be incredibly frustrating and expensive, but you could end up losing ALL of your irreplaceable files, photos, music, e-mails, and other important documents!

Keep reading below to discover, Computer scams and rip-offs that you MUST be aware of, 5 Costly misconceptions about computer maintenance and repair, etc, etc"

have a picture of yourself on the page (looking nice) have a free offer or something to rap it up and finish by writing "Call me know for a free computer cleaning" or something, provide value and they will come back for more

ditch the list and bullets of all the services you offer, let your message tell the story of why they have to call you know to solve their computer problems

LukeD
03-11-2010, 04:31 AM
I started doing Google Adwords about 4 weeks ago and I have to say that it has been successful. While the first two (2) weeks of the campaign, it was very, very slooww. However, the last two (2) weeks has been the busiest since I have opened my business. All the clients from the last two (2) came from the Adwords campaign. Oh yea...the amount of clients I got from the last two (2) weeks is more than I got in the last six (6) months. :D

Nate, share your website, there must be something about it that is getting them to call when they get there, which is fantastic. If you are getting these types of results with basic services copy then you might get an even better response with a call to action type message

jschalk
03-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Thanks guys for your input. I Guess I will just have to test these mediums and see how they go. I have been researching and analyzing for the last 3 - 4 months on different types. My biggest risk would be Yellow Pages, mainly because its a 12 month contract, bu i have a good size ad and well it is well designed. I have been looking in my local newspaper every release and the same guys are always in there, so leads me to believe that they must be getting business from it. I'll try adwords because it will be extremely cheap for me.

Ill let you guys know how it all turns out, but I'm getting married this weekend so i don't wanna think about it till i get back from the honey moon.

cheers

Methical
03-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks guys for your input. I Guess I will just have to test these mediums and see how they go. I have been researching and analyzing for the last 3 - 4 months on different types. My biggest risk would be Yellow Pages, mainly because its a 12 month contract, bu i have a good size ad and well it is well designed. I have been looking in my local newspaper every release and the same guys are always in there, so leads me to believe that they must be getting business from it. I'll try adwords because it will be extremely cheap for me.

Ill let you guys know how it all turns out, but I'm getting married this weekend so i don't wanna think about it till i get back from the honey moon.

cheers

Congrats on the marriage mate ! Let us know how your advertising gets on in the next few weeks.

I'm sure you'll be asking your clients where they heard about you etc, so you know what mediums have worked for you ..

SThompson86
03-11-2010, 12:27 PM
I ran a news paper add a few weeks back in the local paper here, and I did not get but 1 call, and it was one of those crazy do not want to pay much kind of customers.