PDA

View Full Version : Anti-static

Blues
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
We had a post about laptop RAM install and anti-static wrist straps and so on. I am just wondering what all you people use to help with it or is it necessary and when? What do you recommend besides those anti-static wrist straps? In the past I had used some rubber gloves like those doctors use not as much for anti-static as with some things I just want to avoid getting smudges and prints and grease on it. My last build was done bare handed not grounded and on carpet and a bed so I think its one those things blown out of proportion. So share your thoughts on this who matter and share your recommendations for anti-static environment the cheap and the expensive.

thecoldone06
11-09-2007, 02:02 PM
i usually just make sure i touch the case before i do anything inside the computer. i've always done that and have never had a problem.

focuz
11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Check out http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420&highlight=antistatic

Its not needed but used to make yourself look professional infront of clients. It used to be a big deal back in the day but they started coating everything for protection in the factory.

Simmy
11-09-2007, 02:16 PM
i usually just make sure i touch the case before i do anything inside the computer. i've always done that and have never had a problem.

Same here.

My neighbour gave me a telling off for the way I handled his RAM, as he wrote a paper on electrostatic discharge. I just ignored him :p

dcstek
12-03-2007, 09:23 PM
I do a lot of DC jack replacement on laptops and general repairs/assembly, I am a firm believer in anti-static mats. My workbench is covered with one and it is grounded to my nearest outlet.

greggh
12-04-2007, 04:24 AM
I do a lot of DC jack replacement on laptops and general repairs/assembly, I am a firm believer in anti-static mats. My workbench is covered with one and it is grounded to my nearest outlet.

It is always better to do it with anti-static mats or wrist wraps in place. You might not have ever had a problem. You might not even know a single person that has ever had a problem. But they happen, rarely, but they do. When it happens do you really want to owe that customer a new part or worse a new laptop? I don't.