PDA

View Full Version : How do you charge?

MacP
11-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm interested in finding out how everyone charges for their services. Do you have a list of services with a fixed price for each service - i.e. £xx for reinstalling an OS\hardware upgrade etc or do you just charge by the hour/half hour?(or a mixture of both). Also do you have a call out charge to cover travelling expenses?

Simmy
11-09-2007, 09:55 AM
I charge £35/hour for computers brought to me and £45 for onsite work. If they are a home user and within a 10mile radius of my house then I don't charge a callout fee, otherwise I charge 40pence/mile including the journey to and from the customers home/office.

For businesses, I simply charge by the hour (1hr20mins or more = 2hrs). For home users, if I work for 1hr30mins then I charge for 1hr30mins if they are regulars or if they're friendly.

I don't have a fixed price for jobs as that usually bites you in the ass.

focuz
11-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I have both fixed prices and hourly rates. Simply because small things like OS reinstalls usually require the same amount of time for each one. Something such as diagnostic work is per hour

gunslinger
11-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I charge pretty much the same way. So much per mile for a call out. I do have some fixed rates on jobs such as installing new RAM, hard drive ect. If you put a fixed rate on things like virus removal you are going to hurt yourself in the long run. I used to do that a few years ago until I had a few systems that took hours to fix, I ended up making very little per hour. It works like this: you have a fixed rate for virus removal, you get to the customers house and they have a p3 system with 128mb or RAM, it takes 2 hours just to run a virus/spyware scan, and if you are like me you want to scan with at least 2-3 programs because one never picks up everything. If you charge say a flat $40 for virus removal you could end up making less than $10 per hour on this job.

greggh
11-09-2007, 06:30 PM
We just do hourly. There is a visit fee to cover the travel costs, its a set price (doesn't change for distance.) So in the end the charge could be for the visit fee, an hourly charge, and possibly some parts + tax on them.

nonchalant
11-10-2007, 09:27 AM
I have a rate of $50/hr but I charge a flat rate for some services eg: a format = $125. I charge another $25 if backup of data is required.

JohnR
11-12-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm a little bit of an unusual case. I don't usually charge individual customers by the job - instead, I charge several different corporations *by the day*. I spend a day or two onsite, 9-5, at each of my clients every week, and I handle absolutely everything. Hardware, software, email, networks, servers, file sharing, VPN, everything. I'm on call for them during business hours when I'm not on-site, and I charge based on the hours I work and travel etc (for non-workday callouts) and by the day for the time I'm onsite.

Essentially, I've got a bunch of companies that are too big to go without someone like me, but too small to need me full-time, each paying for a fraction of a professional systems administrator. They pay me a smaller rate per hour than they would if they were calling me on a per-job basis (I have a few clients like that, too), but my income is also guaranteed, whether they are using me to the fullest on any given day, or not.

I've found it to be a very convenient and very lucrative niche.

The Goatboy
11-12-2007, 07:42 PM
that's a great setup as long as it's working for you. as long as your customers have a need and you are providing good service, it sounds like you've got a sweet deal.

SandTech
11-16-2007, 03:03 AM
I been trying to do that, to get business customers, just don't know where to start and how.

swany971
11-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I charge $40 for the first hour of a house call, my diagnostic fee. After the first hour, if the problem is still not fixed I offer to take the customers pc back to my bench and fix it for an additional $60. Those are usually OS Reinstalls, Virus Removals, or PC Optimizations.

SandTech
11-23-2007, 12:28 AM
$40 for a house call?
and you live in PA.
do you have insurance, rent, the taxes. am sorry $40 in the USA for house call, seems pretty cheap.

I will be calling you to fix/break in house repair, if i get any in that area, pm me your phone number.

Stu
12-01-2007, 06:33 AM
For home users I charge £40 per first hour, then £30 for the second hour. I'm pretty flexible on the second hour though. i.e, if it has taken me 70 minutes onsite, I will just charge the hour. Good for customer relations.

For businesses I just add an extra £10 per hour to the above model, and I'm less flexible.

Lots of my work, such as virus removal, would take hours onsite, so I offer to do it for a fixed price offsite. This suits me fine because I can then just set it to scan and get on with other things.

I don't bother with a mileage fee since most of my work is within 10 miles.

Brandon
12-08-2007, 01:52 AM
What about on hardware? Do you add a % on top of what you paid for it? Then add the S&H to it?

greggh
12-08-2007, 05:15 AM
20% plus s&h. Pretty standard.

tartis
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Yoiu should charge to make a profit. I just paid lowes $220 to install a water heater. 1.5 hours later he was done...Don't short-change yourself.

CDavis
12-11-2007, 12:13 AM
We mostly charge by the hour. We also have a trip charge. However, as a way to get reduced rates, we offer maintenance contracts or the ability to buy hours in blocks of 10.

nonchalant
12-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Yoiu should charge to make a profit. I just paid lowes $220 to install a water heater. 1.5 hours later he was done...Don't short-change yourself.

I agree. I still sometimes feel Ive under-charged but I guess what I want is the repeat business and word of mouth so Im prepared to take a hit now and then...and I believe it pays off..

A mate of mine once put a good analogy to me though..

Basically what he said was (and he had been fixing PC's for years before I started) was so what if you charge $50/hr instead of $25? If you get only half the work now that you got charging half your current rate your working half as long for the same money..?

Although I dont agree with his suggestion entirely (due to work lost because of high fees) I have taken on board his recommendation to some degree with my pricing..

Basically, I guess you need to draw a balance is what Im saying. I go with what 'feels' right.