PDA

View Full Version : anti-static wrist strap - where to ground to?

freedda
11-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm adding memory to my new laptop. I understand that I should wear an anti-static wrist strap when I do this.

Should I clip the cord on the strap to the laptop I'm working on, and does this serve as a ground even though the laptop is unplugged?

Best, David.

thecoldone06
11-05-2007, 09:38 PM
If you strap it to the laptop make sure you connect it to something metal on the laptop. Usually when you use them on a desktop you connect them to the metal casing. I doubt it there is a metal frame that you could strap it to. I would strap it to a metal shelf or something.

freedda
11-05-2007, 10:00 PM
I think the bottom of the laptop is metal, at least it feels that way. I was thinking of grounding to the door to the compartment I have to open to get to the memory.

Besides that, I could clip to the screw that holds the electric outlet cover in place.

Best, David.

focuz
11-05-2007, 11:05 PM
For laptops its actually better to hook to an anti static mat, that way you can set all your parts on the mat to while your working.

breadtrk
11-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Just touch the metal on your desktop case after you have sit down to do the job. That will dump any charge you may have collected walking to the desk. Pick up the ram in one hand while touching the case, touch a metal rail or screw in the laptop while touching the metal case. Now everything is grounded and static free, install the ram.

That was an exaggeration, the strap is for looking good in front of the client, no one uses them in the real world. As someone has mentioned get an antistatic mat that has the cord to plug into the wall. It only has a ground prong and everything placed on the mat is protected. I carry an outlet checker deal to make sure the outlet is really grounded. They are not grounded in many real old homes.

Unless you just ran across 3" deep shag carpet at 30mph, you really have nothing to worry about. The static thing is important in cleanrooms where the electronics are made, but then they spray or dip them with antistatic coatings.

tartis
11-09-2007, 02:52 PM
I use a static mat and carry a strap with me. I also own a pair of ESD (Electro Static Discharge) shoes that I wear to a customer site. Any memory/dard drives etc...that I handle on-site are placed in a ESD bag for protection. Much ESD damage can occure wihout you even knowing it, and it can creep up later on a PC (memory problems etc...). Here is a link to the ESD association website for more info.

http://www.esda.org/basics/part1.cfm