View Full Version : Do I need an electrical contractor for this?

02-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Hi all,

I'm here in California, trying to figure out for a current business client that is moving into a new building if it is a legal requirement to have a licensed electrical contractor for this work, or if it is something I can do I my own (done it before, just not to this scale).

They need 30 Ethernet lines from patch panel throughout the building, which will require some drilling, running the lines (under floor, in ceiling, down walls), installing the wall boxes, plates / jacks and of course punching everything in.

In the past I've just stepped in once someone (usually an electrician) has everything run, and I just punch it in.

So, what's the 'line' (no pun intended) :D on what we can run... and when we need to get a contractor?

02-23-2010, 06:12 AM
You don't need an electrician, you need a low-voltage contractor. In California, that's a C-7 license. Although sparky is covered with his C-10 license, they rarely know the ins and outs of low voltage. And finally, anything over $500 in CA requires a license.

02-23-2010, 06:22 PM
There's also requirements like using plenum cable in the ceilings.

02-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Plenum is required if the space above the t-bar is used for air handling - instead of return ducting. If that space is not an air return, CMX is fine. (and 1/2 the cost)

In all cases, check with the "Authority Having Jurisdiction", who has the last say - there may be overriding local codes.

02-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks guys; I didn't think to check with the local authority (here, County Buildings Inspector); will do. Thanks again.