PDA

View Full Version : Virus/trojan/spyware/malware removal?

dynamicdave1983
11-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Im studdying for my A+ and want to start somewhere so im thinking of putting out a few cards/flyers for virus removal and spyware/malware/trojan.

Which is the easiest to use, scan and remove the little buggers?!
Also can i give leave a version of the software on their computer? or is this not good as i wont get repeat business.

My tutor said that before going to anybodys house to work on thier computer you need to know how to use your software and equipment.
So want something thats fairly easy to use and practice on.

How much is virus removal roughly or do you charge by how long your there?

Thanks people!

gunslinger
11-01-2007, 04:25 PM
A few of the programs that I use for spyware/malware/virus removal are Mcafee stinger, Spybot S&D, Ad-awre se, and Hijackthis. All of these I can run off of my flash drive so there is no need to install lots of programs on the customers computer that they most likely would'nt use anyway. As for some programs that you can leave on their system I recommend spyware blaster and AVG. Both are free and use almost no system resources. I would not worry much about hurting repeat business. Most people will still call on you if something goes wrong, and installing an antivirus program is not going to make their system bullet proof.
As for how much to charge for this service, It would be in your best intrest to charge for your time instead of by the job. Why? Because you may get there thinking you can have the job done in one hour only to find your customer has a 7 year old p3 system with 128 mb of RAM and it takes 2 hours just to run a virus scan. Then there is data backup just in case when you nuke the nasty stuff it takes some windows files with it. You may want to charge say $40-50 for the first hour then a lesser amount for every hour after that. Its not uncommon for its to take 2-3 hours to remove all the crap from an older system. As for something to get you started try this: http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-utility-kit/#more-841

dynamicdave1983
11-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi thanks for that link will give it a try but which mirror do i download? Why is it called mirror?
cheers