PDA

View Full Version : iTalc and VNCThumbnailViewer

nibblesandbits
02-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Hey all, I'm looking for something that will thumbnail my clients' machines so that I can simply double click and be in. I know this is very easily done with iTalc and VNCThumbnailViewer but that's for a LAN, I was wondering what free / CHEAP (being the keyword here) commercially available software there is out there for this. I have heard of this functionality, I believe with Bomgar? Even if it doesn't thumbnail, how do those of you who have remote contracts just log right in easily if a client calls up about XYZ problem? I'm sure you don't have them download a client every time, or is that the standard practice?

Please enlighten me! Thanks! :)

Xander
02-20-2010, 08:33 PM
I may be in the minority but I'm in the category of folks where I'd rather the technician not have an option to log in whenever they want (assuming residential customer). I rely on them initiating the software on their side and *then* me connecting. With Crossloop Pro, I just have them start it and send me their user/pass so I can find them or, if I've connected before, for them to use the 'find previous helper' option. Either way, the control is in their hands.
Were the situation reversed, I wouldn't want someone able to connect to my computer whenever they want, so I do the same for them.

Edit: It also puts the billing in their hands. Not that it's happened but this way there's no way they can deny a bill for remote support when they are the ones who have to start it.

My $.02

Computer Brainiacs
02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
I need this too for a few business clients.. Unattended access.

DavidF
03-07-2010, 06:39 AM
I use logmein or RDP depending on the circumstances.
If they have a static IP I prefer RDP because Logmein is a bit hard on these old eyes if I don't happen to have a decent monitor on the machine I'm remoting from.
Both have their pro's and cons but after trying out numerous others I always seem to fall back to these two.
I'm always open to suggestions if anyone finds better alternatives.