PDA

View Full Version : Home based and accepting credit cards.

jamesbhp
10-31-2007, 09:52 PM
This question applies to the home based businesses. Are you guys currently accepting credit cards? If so, what company or setup are you using.

Simmy
10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
We've just setup a Worldpay account (They have a half price offer on ending tonight infact!) so we can accept credit/debit cards over the phone/internet. We pay Worldpay ~3.5% per transactions and 15/month.

We don't have a Point-Of-Sale or Chip'n'Pin machine though, which I imagine is what your post is about? We're hoping the internet payment will be fine for most people, which they can do when they collect their computers. However I would prefer a cheque/cash as it saves us 3%.

Shann
11-01-2007, 05:35 PM
You could start a business account with PayPal and accept credit card payments thru there merchant account set-up, it's free to use but you do pay a small percentage per transaction. You even acrue interest on funds you have in your PayPal account. You get a debit card to use the funds in the account or you could transfer the funds to another bank account.

tartis
11-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I have a merchant account that uses the PayJunction account. I can accept payments via my laptop and cellular card, and I can also use my Treo to take payments on-site.

The Goatboy
11-01-2007, 09:41 PM
IMO, stay away from any of the companies that give you swipe machines, etc.. They charge large monthly fees, take a % of your cut and in order to get the swipe device they lock you into long term contracts which are painful to get out of. I'd do the Paypal thing or some other similar payment type service. I speak from experience with the above scenario, so believe me.

SandTech
11-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Paypal let you take customer payment over the phone?

SandTech
11-02-2007, 12:55 AM
I like that PayJunction, how much it cost?

tartis
11-02-2007, 01:35 AM
I like that PayJunction, how much it cost?

Visit the PayJunction website for a reseller phone number.

SandTech
11-02-2007, 06:30 AM
ya i called them and requested information.
Waiting for call back. Just wondering from you, as you have them already.

tkrabec
11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
You should do some more research than just talking to us here on taking CC's. For instance you need to learn about PCI compliance.
You should talk to several ISO (the people who handle CC transactions)
I can give you a referral to a collegue of mine who does that, and their company does not lock you into a multi year contract. And also remember that all companies need to make a profit, some are just greedier than others.

SandTech
11-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Tartis I went with payjunction, thank you.

Simmy
11-02-2007, 06:28 PM
What are their charges SandTech?

SandTech
11-02-2007, 06:41 PM
1.67% + 25cent transaction
$25 monthly fee, and $40 yearly fee.

Look at the tutorial it's nice, they sending me USB swiper for free. And wireless transaction, web site transaction, over the phone.

I dont think it's bad

NWPhotog
11-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Look at the tutorial it's nice, they sending me USB swiper for free. And wireless transaction, web site transaction, over the phone.

I dont think it's bad

Ouch! kinda expensive unless you are doing a high volume on cc. I've used Propay with much success. Zero monthly fee although there is a yearly fee that varies depending on which cards and how big a transaction you are going to charge.

Simmy
11-02-2007, 08:34 PM

I dont think it's bad

Sounds good value to me! It's a shame I'm in the UK or I would look into it.

Worldpay are charging me 3.35% per transaction + 0.35pence :( It seems to be the standard % rate for most payment gateways in the UK though.

SandTech
11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Ouch! kinda expensive unless you are doing a high volume on cc. I've used Propay with much success. Zero monthly fee although there is a yearly fee that varies depending on which cards and how big a transaction you are going to charge.

Though does worldpay offer the convenience they offer, I mean can you accept credit over the phone, through your cell phone, on the road through ur laptop?

NWPhotog
11-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Though does worldpay offer the convenience they offer, I mean can you accept credit over the phone, through your cell phone, on the road through ur laptop?

Propay does.

Simmy
11-03-2007, 03:39 PM
According to the Propay website, they charge $35/year and 2.69-3.5% per transaction. If SandTech is paying 1.67% per transaction, it sounds cheaper than Propay in the longrun even taking the startup/monthly fee into account.
I found this info here (http://www.propay.com/account/)

NWPhotog
11-03-2007, 07:12 PM
According to the Propay website, they charge $35/year and 2.69-3.5% per transaction. If SandTech is paying 1.67% per transaction, it sounds cheaper than Propay in the longrun even taking the startup/monthly fee into account.
I found this info here (http://www.propay.com/account/)

It all depends on how much you use it. Starting out I didn't want to commit to monthly fees because I had no idea how much I would use it. After 2 years of use I think I got 2 sales because of it and had a couple of customers who used it but otherwise would have paid with cash or check. In the end I discontinued it because I am doing more work for businesses and national companies and have almost completely discontinued residential customers. For someone doing a ton of residential customers it makes sense.