PDA

View Full Version : TV Repair VS Computer Repair

SandTech
10-27-2007, 12:28 AM
I been getting into plasma TV repair, its only replacing parts.
From the experience of the repair, its easier than fixing a PC.

Anybody ever thought of doing both?

Shann
10-27-2007, 03:20 AM
I been getting into plasma TV repair, its only replacing parts.
From the experience of the repair, its easier than fixing a PC.

Anybody ever thought of doing both?

I've been considering it. I'm with OnForce and I keep getting a lot of TV repair workorders sent to me but I haven't went on one because I was afraid that I wouldn't know what I was doing!

SandTech
10-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Take them all any time of the day.
they are easy.

zchehi
11-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Just how to get into repairing LCD and Plasma tv's there seems to be a lack of information online short of going to school.

SandTech
11-17-2007, 06:03 PM
There is only four to five total parts in those plasma tv

The main Board
The Power Board
The LCD itself
The Audio board
Second power board.

Most of them only has the first four, samsung new model has the second board.

greggh
11-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Any special tools needed (like the hex head screwdrivers, ect?) What do you use to diagnose the problem? How do you tell whats wrong? Do you just replace all the internal boards?

iladelf
11-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Greggh, gotta say that I don't know the first thing about "TV Repair" in general, however, I will say that the majority of OnForce TV repairs I see are not diagnostic in nature, they are parts replacement only.

Now, IF that is as simple as replacing a part by just unscrewing the back, the part itself and replacing, well, OK, maybe it's easy money. But what if the SOB is mounted 12 feet high on a wall, is a 62" screen, and you're there by yourself? Now, ya gotta hire someone to help you do the heavy lifting, or hope the customer will help you to get it OFF (and back on) the wall.

I'd sure as heck want to be carrying liability insurance on something like that. Never know when you'd face-plant one while moving it.

greggh
11-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Very true. I might even specify to customers that they have to provide me the tv on a surface that I can work on. Leaving them to get it off the wall.

SandTech
11-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Screw driver, never done diagnastic, will love to learn more. been reading the compusa hp support site.

Time to read and learn learn learn.

Damn i love this job, you learn something new everday.

Bryce W
11-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Where are you getting the parts? Do you find out what type of TV they have and order directly from that manufacturer? or do you get them from 3rd parties?

Do you carry stock on site? are parts interchangable between brands or are they proprietary?

SandTech
11-26-2007, 04:46 AM
bryce pretty good questions.
Parts directly from manufacture, trying to find part supplier online.
no stock at all, and parts are not interchangable.

Tough. ebay time

gadz00ks1
12-10-2007, 07:27 AM
bryce pretty good questions.
Parts directly from manufacture, trying to find part supplier online.
no stock at all, and parts are not interchangable.

Tough. ebay time

I must say this is something worth looking into.

thor999
09-02-2008, 08:21 AM
So you just gonna leave us hanging?

MrMille
09-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Sounds interesting

focuz
09-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I always see random quicky posts about this, but still never see any good writeups on repairing electronics. I know the old tv's where fairly simple as it was mainly changing picture tubs, but I have no idea how to go about repairing a plasma or projection. Shot if I did I would be grabbing a bunch of free damaged tv's on craigslist and fixing them for myself to use.

09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
I actually have a few years worth of experience repairing LCD tvs. My former employer sold laptops and LCD tvs. Somehow I became "the guy" that got all of the problem televisions from other stores when their techs couldn't fix them.
All in all, they're super easy to work on, fairly easy to diagnose (you basically follow a symptoms chart. I wrote the chart for them, for their brand of tvs.)

I'm confident in my ability to fix LCD televisions, but I don't want to mess with it. I did make one exception recently for a customer, where I ended up fixing the system with two capacitors from Radio Shack. $3.50 in parts to fix a no video issue that everyone else quoted at least $300 or so in parts. :D

bmetman
09-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Do the manufacturers readily sell parts or do you have to jump through hoops to get them? Some manufacturers of home electronics make getting parts as painful as possible.

Jory
09-02-2008, 11:41 PM
My biggest concern would be the liability issues. If I drop a computer I'm more than likely out less than $500. If I dropped a 52" LCD TV I'd probably start crying like a little girl and run away.

Pc Fixed Right
09-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Personally I think this is a great idea aside from liablity. The parts is also a major concern as I don't understand the process of getting the parts if you are not an authorized Sony, Toshiba etc... repair shop.

09-03-2008, 12:22 AM
The parts is also a major concern as I don't understand the process of getting the parts if you are not an authorized Sony, Toshiba etc... repair shop.

How many computer repair shops are authorized by the manufacturer? Few.
To get the parts, you get them from a reseller like anything else. Places like Partstore.com, ShopJimmy.com, and various other electronics parts vendors have parts for the major brands.