PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5 2.0 Ghz No Post - Power Led Flashes 2x Indicating No Memory

nj_computer_repair
02-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Power Mac G5 2.0 Ghz DP will not post

Power led flashes 2x indicating no memory, fans spin and led on board indicating power from psu is on.

With no ram installed, I get 1 flash on the power led flashing every couple seconds.

Tried 1 stick of ram, multiple sticks and even sticks that I had lying around to rule out bad memory that was in the system - always get 2 flashes with any ram installed and 1 flash with no ram.

Pulled out video card to try and rule that out - same story. Also reset SMU and reseated battery.

anonymous Mac Tech
02-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Try reseating the processors 1st. Still no joy try removing the bottom processor. Still same try popping the bottom processor in the top spot.

Some of the G5 towers run on one processor, but if this one won't just swap the processors around in that case and see what happens. If it does startup that way the fans will stay on full bore because it will need to be recalibrated.

nj_computer_repair
02-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Looks like another logic board issue for me - I tried every combo of processors and got the same results. The computer would not turn on with 1 processor in either slot.

The guy said the computer worked prior to him installing memory. The correct memory was installed - maybe he zapped it with static? who knows. Anyway, thanks for entertaining my mac issues again.

anonymous Mac Tech
02-16-2010, 03:41 AM
That's actually not uncommon for those things. I've had a couple of those come in exact same situation. Customer added RAM and all of sudden a they have a G5 doorstop. I've even had a few come back to life after reseating/trying different RAM then go to restart and right back to flashing LED.

nj_computer_repair
02-16-2010, 04:07 AM
It's a shame, they are such a good looking machine. I wouldn't mind a Power Mac G5 doorstop! I bet 2 of these and a top sheet of glass would make a super sweet coffee table although pretty sure that the wife doesn't want a G5 coffee table!

dracken
02-16-2010, 10:47 PM
What slots are you trying the ram in? they have to be in certain slots to work correctly, there are 2 rows of slots of ram, for one stick it usually has to be in the first row of slots and the bottom one, when you put them in pairs they have to match the corresponding slots on the board, should be labeled dimm1 etc.. if that doesn't work try pulling the battery and let it sit for a while. G5 machines are a real pain to work on sometimes.

nj_computer_repair
02-17-2010, 01:16 AM
What slots are you trying the ram in? they have to be in certain slots to work correctly, there are 2 rows of slots of ram, for one stick it usually has to be in the first row of slots and the bottom one, when you put them in pairs they have to match the corresponding slots on the board, should be labeled dimm1 etc.. if that doesn't work try pulling the battery and let it sit for a while. G5 machines are a real pain to work on sometimes.

I tried various ram slots including the ones you mentioned with 1 dimm, 2 dimm and so on. I pulled the battery for a little while but will try and leave it out over night to see if tomorrow brings any promise.

Your right, these G5s are real finicky and sometimes the most bizarre things will make them work again. I remember one that would not post and after trying everything was ready to give up, then for some reason I took the battery out and put pressure on the area where the battery goes and that silly move actually got the computer working.

anonymous Mac Tech
02-17-2010, 03:18 AM
G5 machines are a real pain to work on sometimes.

Got that right. Have you had any of the liquid cooled ones that sprung a leak? Had one of those last week that was 6 years old and Apple still paid to replace the logic board, multiprocessor, power supply, and some other cosmetic pieces that the coolant corroded. Apple used to pay us to replace all the parts no questions asked but these machines are getting old enough that we had to send pics and go up the food chain a little bit to get it covered.

dracken
02-17-2010, 04:20 AM
Got that right. Have you had any of the liquid cooled ones that sprung a leak? Had one of those last week that was 6 years old and Apple still paid to replace the logic board, multiprocessor, power supply, and some other cosmetic pieces that the coolant corroded. Apple used to pay us to replace all the parts no questions asked but these machines are getting old enough that we had to send pics and go up the food chain a little bit to get it covered.

yeah I have only had one with a coolant leak, Was a horrible problem, I think I replaced every part in the machine twice and Apple ended up replacing the machine with a Mac Pro for the customer.