PDA

View Full Version : Whos used DD-WRT?

rockinh
10-26-2007, 01:38 AM
DD-WRT is supposed to be a great open source firmware for linksys routers, but I've also heard it has some bugs. Any thoughts?

The Goatboy
10-26-2007, 01:47 AM
by the time i heard about this, I had already stopped using my linksys router and switched to a D-link. I personally don't know anyone running this code.

Blues
10-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I have heard of some these just in passing over it in search of something else but I don't really know what these do. Why switch to them instead of the linksys firmware and if they have bugs I would want a list of them before using it.

WareDat
10-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I have tested DD-WRT on a WRT54GL router and although it is extremely feature rich I have also found it to be troublesome with keeping a wireless connection, and dangerous (bricked router) if the firmware upgrade does not take. I personally prefer to use Hyper-WRT firmware on the routers I install. Hyper-WRT has a great feature set and has proven in my experience to be both stable and reliable.

ClickRight
10-29-2007, 11:39 PM
I use it and it works great. I've been told to try Tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato), but I haven't had the time to fool with it yet.

XT18
11-23-2007, 05:02 AM
I use to use it on my wrt54g v5 worked good for about a year then the router died for no reason but it was good while it lasted.

Stu
12-01-2007, 06:11 AM
I am tempted to try it on some of my clients' buggy Linksys routers, but I'm wary of voiding the warranties.

Rabid_frog
12-01-2007, 07:26 PM
The DD-WRT can be very iffy, the situation has to be ideal for things to work properly as each version of the linksys router (only a few of them will even take the firmware upgrade) will take a different method of install, and all have a high risk of bricking the router. I would hold off on trying to install it on a clients router as it can do more harm than good.
Its best left to in home experimentation.

-will-

Maddiebeagle
02-23-2008, 03:36 PM
I've used DD-WRT, and previously "tomato" and HyperWRT firmware on my Linksys WRT54G router with no problems. DD-WRT may very well be overkill for 99% of people. SO SO SO many different settings and features who knows if you mess one up what will happen.

I've changed my own firmware at least 6 times and never bricked my router. I've upgraded just once for a client, and everything went fine with no complaints.

Favre04
03-03-2008, 02:46 AM
I have been using it for the past 2 years with a WRT54G v3 with no problems. I installed it mainly to give a signal strength boost to some areas of my home that had weak or no signal.

I also bought a Logitech Z5450 wireless surround sound system for my home built media center pc. When I installed the wireless rear speakers, my signal in my living room dropped from 54 Mbps to 18 Mpbs.

After increasing the routers wattage output I am back up to 54 Mbps, with no dead spots in the home now.

I did notice that the router seems to run a bit hotter than it did previously, but that is due to the increased wattage output.

weseal
03-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Agree that these firmwares are way overkill for most users. The feature that i use the most if i decide to use one is the output wattage adjustment that Favre04 mentioned. Most customers seem happy as long as they can get internet where ever they go, the could careless about the endless options that the firmware upgrades provide.

Fred_G
04-10-2008, 02:54 AM
I flashed mine last night. Holy bejezus, there are some serious settings in there! Tossed a heatsink on the 'main' chip, and I can get some crazy distance with the laptop connected wireless. Lots of high end functions on the router, good bargain...

You can adjust QOS, block programs, websites... more than I know what to do with. I have heard you can even overclock them, looking into that also.

E

Jory
04-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I bought a WRT54GL the other day and installed v23 SP2 standard on it. So far it's worked great minus the one time it crashed because I was downloading a torrent. Apparently it gets a little cranky when your client starts sending out thousands of UDP packets for DHT. After a few minutes of searching I discovered you need to raise the max number of connections and lower the time-out.

I bought it so I could learn how to setup chilispot for wireless hotspots. It seems like setting up a hotspot could potentially be very profitable.