PDA

View Full Version : Search for short strings

hyfidel
02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Currently the search feature on the forums doesn't let us search for short strings, like "mac". This makes it frustrating to find topics that have already been discussed like "mac tools". If I search for "OSX" or "tools", I don't really find what I want.

Is there any way to make the search accept short strings?

MrUnknown
02-09-2010, 05:41 PM
not that I am aware of, but really I don't care for the search on the forum

My work around is simple. Goto google.com and put site:technibble.com in the search bar along with your search terms.

hyfidel
02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Great suggestion! I use the site: modifier all the time and didn't think to use it to search the forums..

Methical
02-10-2010, 12:39 AM
not that I am aware of, but really I don't care for the search on the forum

My work around is simple. Goto google.com and put site:technibble.com in the search bar along with your search terms.

[thumbs up emoticon here]

I quite often use this for searching through forums; I find it easier than most Forum search engines themselves.

Any other modifiers for google search like 'site:' that you use ?

MrUnknown
02-10-2010, 01:08 AM
not really. I don't find any real use in the other things that Google, or any other search engine, does. The custom site search for any site is the one I use the most because, quite frankly, most website's search engines are horrible. The one in vBulletin is absolutely useless as far as I can tell.

I have used the filetype search before, but very rarely.