PDA

View Full Version : How did you get started in repair?

callthatgirl
02-08-2010, 01:26 AM
My story is simple, I kept hearing about the "internet" and my aunt had AOL chat, I found it fun to play with, but it was expensive in 1994 when you had a dial up connection to a town 20 miles away LOL.

I started playing with my own internet when I started college in 1995, I basically was on telnet and using an Apple. I started hanging out in the computer lab a lot as I just fell in love with the net, programs, goofying off, etc.

After about a year, I found myself helping the students in the lab more than I was goofing off and asked the manager to just hire me on as I was there enough and felt I should get paid for it. I knew more than the work study kids. After a month or so, the VAX admin gave me rights to the email systems and a few other AS400 duties, basically things he didn't want to do for support.

3 years later, I left the computer lab to graduate and take on my first corporate job. I am thankful that in college I took every single computer class I could so I could excel with helpdesk positions. Still going strong obviously, I just love troubleshooting and helping clients. I have tried to leave the IT field twice, but both times came running back to what I knew and loved.

What's your story?

lassenpc
02-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Pretty simple I guess... my friends kept telling me I should start a computer repair business.

I was working 48hr shifts (2 days on, 5 days off) for a local EMS company. The 5 days off for the first 2 years were spent excelling at WoW and Halo; but I got bored with that, and thanks to a back injury, decided I needed to get out of the moving bodies job and into something else; had previous experience with computers @ other jobs, and I do really like the challenge, so decided on my days 'off' a week to start up the PC biz. 4 years later, going strong.

Started in the house, then as it grew moved it out into a separate garage; last year outgrew that and got a *sweet* deal on office space ($100/mo!)

Still do the EMS thing on the weekends though, primarily just for the health benefits at this point; hard to give that up!

Bullfighter
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I've known I wanted to work with computers since I was about 10 - I had an uncle who was an engineer for Texas Instruments and he took me in to see the "punch cards" in action. LOL so glad it's not like that now.

When I got out of high school I was blessed to get a job with MS doing product support for this new OS called "Windows 95" :) I quit MS to work for Texas Instruments (like an idiot, since everyone who has worked for MS since 1995 is now a millionaire...). I then worked for AT&T doing web development and tech support, then became a manager.
After AT&T I got a job as a Systems/Network Analyst at a company that was bought by EDS two years later. I worked at EDS until HP bought us. I got sick of how crappy Big IT runs their business and went full time on a side business I'd been running.

The company I worked with for the two years is my inspiration - it was an awesome company. They did IT outsourcing, and it is the goal for my current company. Either that, or be a big enough pain in the ass to the other outsourcing companies to get bought out :)

"Computer Repair" is just one aspect of the Managed Services/IT Outsourcing company I am building.

EP

K007
02-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I quit MS to work for Texas Instruments (like an idiot, since everyone who has worked for MS since 1995 is now a millionaire...).

Not that I want to bring insult to injury, but.... yes, you are right. It must feel terrible.

How I started.
I had no high school IT training, because back in 1978 there was no IT training in high schools (not where I come from)
Finished school in the field of railway automatic signaling. Loads of elecronics training, such as circuit boards, electronic components of that time like integrated circuits, diodas, capacitors, transistors, etc.
Not only that I liked it, but had the nack for it too.
Years, many years later, I started by doing a typing course, then a 2 year IT course (in fact it was 9 months 8 hours per day) but considered as a 2 year (BTech).
Being an old guy with old fashion values and up-bringing, I said to myself, first I have to learn how to type before I can start an IT course.
Later realized that I didn't need typing, but trust me, it helps a lot not to mention the "feeling good" thing when you start a new job and your new colleagues look over their sholder to see who's killing the keyboard :)
Now I get up to 75 words per minute with about 94% accuracy.

Worked for may companies, especially financial ones like banks, investment companies, etc, then after the Y2k buble burst, I started on my own.
Never looked back since. I don't intend to grow into a big company, all I want to do is make a decent living out of it while it lasts.

Edit:
Just out of curiosity, does anybody remember the color coded resistors? Seems so ancient...

Bullfighter
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Not that I want to bring insult to injury, but.... yes, you are right. It must feel terrible.

Not really, I don't look at life that way. I actually meant to add a smiley after that statement. It's the decisions we made that bring us to where we are today - no regrets.

there was no IT training in high schools

I know what you mean, we had computer courses, but kids now are coming out with CCNA, MCSE, A+ and N+ - Incredible how far it has come!

EP

0gr3
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
I started off in a very odd fashion (at least in my opinion) I went to a high school that was supposed to have a good computer program, combined with the fact that they didn't and I was lazy I decided computers was too hard and to try something else, like most stupid lazy kids (I am harsh on myself because it was true) I migrated to metal working and got heavy into cars.

I then went to college to become a mechanic and did really quite well there but were I really excelled was the electrical portion of automotive, it really just clicked in my head, engines are simple little round and round toys but wires and electrons got my eyes wide and my brain churning.

After college I developed a joint disease that would have destroyed my body in ten years if I stayed a mechanic so I left that and had no clue what to do.
I floated around dead end jobs till I got to my last dead end job at Convergys, I was a CSR and it taught me the most important skill I could have ever learnt and that was patience. I worked there for a year until I could not stand it any longer and said I gotta get out of here, from there I worked for EDS, they hired me to help start off a new project just before HP bought us out, after they bought us out I got laid off.

I now work on a super close IT team for one of the largest newspaper and media distributors in Canada. I am learning new tech every day and studying for my CCNA next year.

My goal is to in the next five years be cert’d up and running my own deal or being network tech for hire to the highest bidder :)