PDA

View Full Version : New advert - Opinions please before it goes into the paper

Simmy
10-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

Can I get your opinion on this advert please? :) It's going into our local paper at the beginning of next year, so plenty of time change it. I'm not too hot at desiging so it's very simple. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Link to advert (http://www.smgcomputers.com/hosted/Advert.tif)

thecoldone06
10-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Simple and to the point. I like it. Is there a big demand for linux in the Bristol? I'd be interested in seeing how many people go for Ubuntu over Windows.

Simmy
10-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't know tbh, this is the first time we've really pushed computer sales. Up until now, we've only offered XP. We figure it's worth advertising ubuntu boxes purely because it knocks 60 off the price and will attract more customers. The only problem is supporting ubuntu over the phone could be difficult :\

I'll let you know how linux box sales go :) I've heard Dell's linux server sales have surpassed sales of windows servers. Does anyone know if Dell support linux over the phone/at all?

thecoldone06
10-19-2007, 04:09 PM
I would imagine they would have to. I just sent an email to my Dell rep to find out for sure though. I'll let you know what he says. You might think about having some sort of Ubuntu training along with the system. That might make people more comfortable making the switch. Just an idea.

greggh
10-19-2007, 05:52 PM
They do support it. We sell systems with ubuntu on them if we can. We offer the computer for $100 less with ubuntu instead of windows. If the buyer is up for it. A lot of times they arent. As for supporting ubuntu over the phone that depends on your linux knowledge. I have been using it since 93 and so I am pretty happy with my level of knowledge. On the other hand ubuntu really makes it easy to manage. Especially now that they have graphical x windows configuration and failsafe modes.

focuz
10-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Ad looks nice, I actually prefer simple over what usually turns out to be cluttered. So how much is that in us dollars just wondering how much of a profit your making out their across the pond.

Andyuk2007
10-19-2007, 08:50 PM
The ad looks very nice :D but is there anything you can do with the font so it grabs people's attention.

Simmy
10-19-2007, 09:08 PM
That's $449 according the google. Profit is around 50 or $102 after delivery and credit card fees, but it all depends on whether I sell any or not :p It should be fairly attractive at that price.

My only fear with offering Ubuntu, is that people will buy the machine and decide they simply don't like it. They're then allowed (by law) to return the PC within 7 days for a refund. I can see alot of people doing that.

Holzster
10-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Looks good - one thing you can add to the add is something like "free Ubuntu Linux Training CD, With Your Order"

Create a CD with the below Free Video Training Files & Books (links below) With the Price of blank CD's might be a final push to get a linux noob to go for it.

Free Videos:
http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/
http://ubuntuclips.org/

Free E-Books:
http://www.free-itebooks.com/

Holzster

Bryce W
10-20-2007, 03:36 AM
Simple and clean. However, if this is to go in a publication, nothing is grabbing my attention. If I was scanning though the newspaper and I only saw a picture of a computer, I might keep on scanning. You need an attention grabbing headline like "NEW COMPUTERS" or something.

You need to get their attention first before they read the details.

dipper
10-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Will people in your area even know what Ubuntu is?

Simmy
10-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Cheers for the replies. That's a great idea Holzster!

It turns out Dell don't support Ubunutu, so that's put me at ease. We'll simply supply the training discs and let them know before buying the PC that it won't be supported.

A few people (including my mum) have said they didn't really understand what the advert was selling, so I guess it's not doing its job. So I've got to make it clearer

The ad (http://www.smgcomputers.com/hosted/Advert.tif) has been tidied up a bit (mainly the worldpay logo has been removed to make more space). I'll try and make it more eye catching, but seeing as it will be on the front page, alot of people will see it anyway.

Good point about people not knowing what Ubuntu is - do you think I should simply leave that out of the advert?

Andyuk2007
10-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Simple and clean. However, if this is to go in a publication, nothing is grabbing my attention. If I was scanning though the newspaper and I only saw a picture of a computer, I might keep on scanning. You need an attention grabbing headline like "NEW COMPUTERS" or something.

You need to get their attention first before they read the details.

yeah exactly it needs something that will catch a person's eye but apart from it looks fine, the information is there.

Will the advert be in black and white or colour ? you might want to advertise in a local ad booklet thats delievered in your area too. :)

Simmy
10-20-2007, 03:38 PM
I've only paid for a black and white advert atm, because a colour advert costs 100 more! :eek: If I can make the colour advert stand out that much more, I will probably pay the extra.

Andyuk2007
10-20-2007, 03:43 PM
I've only paid for a black and white advert atm, because a colour advert costs 100 more! :eek: If I can make the colour advert stand out that much more, I will probably pay the extra.

every little helps mate :D good luck with your advert, tell us how much response you got from it too

SandTech
10-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Is that how the computer going to look like, are you using that box.
It just looks so generic picture.

Simmy
10-20-2007, 07:47 PM
At the moment that's the case we're using as it's cheap, well made and pretty smart in the flesh, which is a rare combination these days! A fancier looking case might catch the readers eye a bit more, but the better looking ones are more expensive.

What about this (http://www.smg-computers.com/hosted/Advert.jpg)? only problem is, it wouldn't be the case included in the price stated on the ad.

SandTech
10-20-2007, 08:13 PM
will have an eye catcher on the case.
And when they come in just tell them that case is more expensive.

Andyuk2007
10-20-2007, 11:08 PM
The advert looks much better with that case and the added text :)