PDA

View Full Version : MF8170C Rec. Paper Jam & Open Cover. NO JAM

SandTech
10-16-2007, 06:18 PM
I just went to a customer house, there is absolutly no jam on this printer.
Spoke to canon over the phone step by step, cannot find the jam.

Cannon came up with something up saying oh it might be an internal board issue.

Problem happened after customer replaced the drum, printer use to work fine.

Do you think it might be a faulty drum?

thecoldone06
10-16-2007, 06:24 PM
I would put in a different drum and see if that fixes the issue. I highly doubt it is a board problem if it was working before the drum. I can't believe thats what they told you.

SandTech
10-16-2007, 07:17 PM
waiting for the drum to come in tomorrow. hopefully it fix it

thecoldone06
10-16-2007, 07:56 PM
If it does turn out that the new drum you put in was bad make sure to get your money back on it.

tkrabec
10-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Bring a can of Air with you as well. I've seen printers that get too much paper dust in one of the sensors and it reports as a paper jam.

The Goatboy
10-16-2007, 08:51 PM
multi-functions suck IMO; I stay away from them because they're nothing but trouble. The professional ones at businesses are even worse than the home models; I'm biased, can't you tell.

focuz
10-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Whats the exact message you recieve? Is it just "remove jam and open/close door" or does it give you an error number.

Also does it even attempt to pick up the paper or does it give you the error right when you send a job. I have never seen a drum give a paper jam error unless it was literally jammed right by the drum.

P.S. This applies to all printer companies, if they can't figure it out they tell you its the logic board sending false codes. I see this all the time, and their only right about 20% of the time.

SandTech
10-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Here is the error code
REC. PAPER JAM, OPEN THE FRONT COVER

And i did use air can, i vacuum the whole printed inside, still same error.
It doesnt attempt to pick up the paper, it doesn't allow you send any job to the printer.

SandTech
10-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Anybody have service manual for that printer?
I found the user manual.

focuz
10-16-2007, 10:43 PM
I can't find any service manuals.

Try just reseating the drum, toner, etc. and make sure the contacts are clean, it sounds like it is most likey a bad drum if it didn't start doing it until right after the replacement.

PorterComp
10-17-2007, 04:07 PM
I agree with swapping out the toner first...especially given what the customer said. If that doesn't work....

Another thing to do is to find the sensor "flags" and see if any are stuck. Usually there's at least two sometimes more depending on the model. Make sure they move freely.

Can you clear this error by powering off/on the printer? If so and the error only appears when you attempt to print, it's probably a pickup issue (check rollers) If it won't clear, then it's probably a sensor somewhere that thinks paper is in it. You may have to dismantle it somewhat to remove it. Paper can sometimes get places you can't see.

SandTech
10-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Drum been swaped with new one, same issue still present. It cant be a pickup roller, because the printer comes with an error before sending any job to the printer.
As soon as you turn the power on.

Wonder where are the sensors located on this printer.

thecoldone06
10-18-2007, 02:18 PM
If the new drum didn't fix it then you can only assume that there is actually paper stuck in it. I would make sure to check EVERYWHERE. Paper sometimes tears before it comes out so there could be a tiny piece somewhere causing all these problems. Make sure to check the entire paper path for any kind of foreign object.

Blues
10-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Try rolling any the moving parts by hand to force any torn bits to possibly begin to show them selves. Take out all the toners and drum open every door wipe down and clean off everything make sure all things move properly springs, belts, and rollers.

SandTech
10-19-2007, 03:48 AM
So decided to give it another try. This time I wasnt going to leave until its fixed. Anyway found the paper under the drum, had to take that a part there was two screws.
I believe its the only roler that is not visible on that printer, it was under a plastic peace totally covered.

Unscrewed that, found the paper.

Btw on the manual it tell you to do everything except doing that.

So anyway printer starts print two pages then it says paper jam again. Then turn off and on try print 20pages printer worked fine.

End of crazy printer.

focuz
10-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Oh no sir. Your wrong its definitely a system board.... HAHA I love proving companies tech support wrong.

And how many hours did you spend with them on the phone to have it just be paper debris.

SandTech
10-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Oh no sir. Your wrong its definitely a system board.... HAHA I love proving companies tech support wrong.

And how many hours did you spend with them on the phone to have it just be paper debris.

Total was on job site was 1:20minuts i believe. not bad