PDA

View Full Version : Network help

Andyuk2007
10-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi there, I'm trying to setup a laptop to my network adaptor usb but it keeps asking me for a security network pass and i dont know what it is, I havent set any network security pass.

is there anyway to disable the pass thing. i'm using a ZYXEL prestige 600 series router.

please help me figure this out as i dunno how to do it.

thanks

Simmy
10-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Is there a WEP/WPA password written on the router itself?

If not, find out the router IP address:
start>run>cmd>ipconfig /all and the 'DHCP address' or 'default gateway' is the router (usually 192.168.1.1)

Then open internet explorer, goto the router homepage and disable/change the wireless security settings :) Alternatively you can reset the router with a pen, using a reset button slightly hidden on the back of it.

Andyuk2007
10-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Is there a WEP/WPA password written on the router itself?

If not, find out the router IP address:
start>run>cmd>ipconfig /all and the 'DHCP address' or 'default gateway' is the router (usually 192.168.1.1)

Then open internet explorer, goto the router homepage and disable/change the wireless security settings :) Alternatively you can reset the router with a pen, using a reset button slightly hidden on the back of it.

Hi simon, I setup a new connection but its unsecured at the moment but i only need it to update a laptop's vista OS. i did reset the router but it still asked me for a password which i tried the default but it didnt work

i'll keep that advice handy though :)

The Goatboy
10-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Does the documentation for the router shed any light? I know Linksys will tell you what the default settings are; I would assume/hope that Zyxel might do the same in a user or admin manual.

tartis
10-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi simon, I setup a new connection but its unsecured at the moment but i only need it to update a laptop's vista OS. i did reset the router but it still asked me for a password which i tried the default but it didnt work

i'll keep that advice handy though :)

There will be a default username and password provided by the router manufacturer. Go to the router manufacturer website and search the knowledgebase, look in the owners manual, or search google for the default password. Some of these are easy like admin/admin. You should always reset the password once you are able to login, or someone will reset it for you while trying to hack your router.

Holzster
10-29-2007, 02:21 AM
One more thing make sure you are connecting to your unsecured wifi & not a neighbors locked wifi

Holzster

The Goatboy
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
One more thing make sure you are connecting to your unsecured wifi & not a neighbors locked wifi

Holzster

Isn't that half the fun? Just kidding.

Andyuk2007
10-30-2007, 05:06 PM
I still cant get wireless setups to work i really need a guide