PDA

View Full Version : Not charging customer.

SandTech
10-14-2007, 03:39 AM
So i receive a call today from a customer in regards to a Toshiba A15. screen having a problem, I go look at it, screen cracked on side, so anyway customer needs new screen. I told customer how much it would cost and its not worth fixing, he better buy a new one, and I told him i wont be charging him for looking at it, was there for half an hour.

Did i do the right thing? or should have I charged that customer something.

focuz
10-14-2007, 04:09 AM
Well that would depend, if they brought it into the shop then I probably wouldn't charge them either, in hopes that they would buy their new machine from me.

but if it was a house call then they get charged for me just waking into the door... hehe

ClickRight
10-14-2007, 04:22 AM
I have to agree with focuz. Now of course, depending on how nice the customer is (and my mood :)) there's a good chance they would get a reduced rate or I would do something for them on another one of their computers if they have one (who doesn't need a good clean-up?)

Simmy
10-14-2007, 09:59 AM
I agree with what's already been said. If you've gone out to them, charge them. If you feel bad doing so, at least charge them enough to cover the travelling costs of your car/bike/scooter :)

Having said that, I've done a few onsite jobs myself without charging. I haven't done that for a while though and I certainly won't be doing it again. If they bring the computer to me and the problem only takes a few minutes, I'll happily do the work for free as they almost always come back in the future.

Andyuk2007
10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
I agree with what's already been said. If you've gone out to them, charge them. If you feel bad doing so, at least charge them enough to cover the travelling costs of your car/bike/scooter :)

Having said that, I've done a few onsite jobs myself without charging. I haven't done that for a while though and I certainly won't be doing it again. If they bring the computer to me and the problem only takes a few minutes, I'll happily do the work for free as they almost always come back in the future.

do you have your own shop then or do you work from home ? in time i hope to have a shop :rolleyes:

Simmy
10-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I work from home. There's a pic of my 'office' in this (http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924&page=2) thread, but it's nowt special.

Plus, what are you doing surfing the net you slacker? You should be out posting leaflets :p

Andyuk2007
10-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Plus, what are you doing surfing the net you slacker? You should be out posting leaflets :p

i'm wholesale searching :p at 2pm i'm off out to a call out in groby so its all good :)