PDA

View Full Version : restore cd

focuz
10-12-2007, 02:46 AM
I know restore cd's where talked about in other posts, but the method on how to make one was not. What do you guys use for this.

I know if you have ghost installed you can create an image and burn it to a cd/dvd, but I don't want to have to install nortons etc... on all the clients machines that I make a disc for. Is it possible to have a boot disc of a program that makes the image and puts in on a blank with no traces on the end users machine?

Simmy
10-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Acronis True Image allows you to make a Boot CD where you can backup and restore images. It's a great piece of software and definitely worth the money.

focuz
10-13-2007, 03:45 AM
Yeah but don't you have to install the program to burn the backup to a standalone disc. I believe the acronis boot program will only let you make a backup to a harddrive.

Simmy
10-13-2007, 09:49 AM
The Acronis boot disc allows you to make hidden secure partitions on the hard drive. You can use the Acronis boot disc to create this "Acronis Secure Zone" and then create a backup image. That way no programs are installed, an image is made and the customer won't be able to see the backup image.

Any reason you want to backup to a CD/DVD rather than the hard drive? Can we assume that the computer you are making an image of has two optical drives; one for the boot disc and one for backing up?

focuz
10-14-2007, 04:06 AM
Well a customer recently requested a restore cd, I went through the hassle of installing, burning, then uninstalling. but if their was an easier method to doing this then I will start to offer it at an additional charge.

I would definitely need it on some type of media as I would need to hand the customer something physical before they would want to buy the extra service. Thats why I don't want to just put the image backup on a separate partition or something like that.

ljohnso16
10-18-2007, 06:44 AM
very good idea buisnes wise, i think you shuold be able to create the acronis image and burn it to a DVD that has the Acronis software on it, just make an ISO and after u back up the image, just add the image to the iso and burn, but u have the size requirment of a DVD worse comes to worse, grap a Dual Layer and charge $10 more for the service for "materials"

focuz
10-19-2007, 12:21 AM
just make an ISO and after u back up the image, just add the image to the iso and burn

Alright how would I do all that with out leaving any traces on the end users machine or installing the acronis software.

Simmy
10-19-2007, 08:47 AM
You could stick the hard drive into your computer/laptop and create the image from that perhaps? That way only your computer would have the acronis software installed and you wouldn't need to use a boot cd, leaving the CD/DVD drive free to burn the backups.

focuz
10-19-2007, 07:49 PM
brilliant... that way I could just use my laptop and a usb harddrive connector, Problem solved.

ljohnso16
10-22-2007, 03:04 AM
yay! try it out with a customer and please report back to us how it goes

rocky67
10-22-2007, 01:12 PM
if your clients machines have a floppy drive just boot it up with a ghost boot floppy and do a disk to image to a cd or dvd. and the cd or dvd will be bootable
you dont need to install anything.
have a good day

ljohnso16
10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
but than u have to use a flopy

rocky67
10-22-2007, 10:48 PM
you dont use a floppy when you restore the computer.the cd or dvd that you create will be bootable. just put the cd or dvd in the drive on the computer
and boot up

ljohnso16
10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
what version of ghost are you using/talking about?

Simmy
10-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Interesting idea rocky, but I don't build computers with floppy drives anymore and alot of my customers don't have floppy drives in their new PCs/laptops. Great idea if they do have a floppy drive though :)

rocky67
10-23-2007, 03:06 PM
it is real easy to do you dont need to give your customers a floppy disk just give them the cd or dvd that you created it is bootable .
ghost 2003 bootable floppy

if you wont to use external drives to create your restore cd or dvd to use
ghost 8

works with windows xp windows 98

thecoldone06
10-23-2007, 04:18 PM
external FD? ;) FD's are on the way out. Most of the time when you buy a new computer, you have to pay extra to have one. With the advent of Flash drives and portable HDD's, theres no reason to use floppy disks anymore. Once they make flash drives bootable (they might be already and I'm not aware of it) Floppy disks will be a thing of the past.

rocky67
10-23-2007, 05:12 PM
did not say external floppy drive.if you wont to burn the ghost image to a external cd or dvd drive use ghost 8 or 8.2

if you have a ghost 8.2 boot floppy you can use it with nero to create a bootable cd then boot the customers computer with the bootable cd that you created with nero. hook up the external cd or dvd and ghost the customers computer to the external drive. i do it often