PDA

View Full Version : Business is so slow

Andyuk2007
10-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi all, Today ive had no call outs at all so i'm really dissapointed :( My advertising techniques are fine but nobody seems to have a computer that needs looking at.

I can see it being another dead week, i did have a couple on saturday but its been dead since then :( i need some advice on what i can do.

any ideas people ?

Simmy
10-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear it's quiet for you Andy. Chin up though and i'm sure it'll slowly start to snowball over the next year.

I assume you just do repair work at the moment. Have you considered branching out into web design, selling computers/bits on ebay or another sideline job?

Web design is a good one if you're good at it, as you only need one job a week to pay the bills.

Can you tell us what your advertising methods are? We might be able to suggest some new methods. I find google adwords works well.

Blues
10-08-2007, 09:01 PM
It can get slow best thing to do is eBay salvage sales also not bad to look for items on eBay you can fix up and profit on. The buy to repair and resell is a risky venture you have to look for the mislabeled items. I would also say you can offer to discard old PCs and peripherals for your customers for a small fee. These machines will be mostly trash but you might can salvage but if not they are paying you to dump it. Cleaning/Maintance on PCs is good to do probly every 3 months just clean the dust out, make sure all parts are securely connected, defrag, scan disk, and updates for a low bundled price. You could also throw in an AV/Spyware sweep problem is that can turn into a nightmare if you actually find something more then cookies and minor common spyware. I would say do those as a pick up or drop off service at a budget price. Pick up if you work out of home drop off if you have an office you can do both with an office but add a service fee for pick ups. I would price this bundle between $75-150 depending on a few things such as drop off vs pick up and your usuall hourly rate and expected time for the job. You can do more then repairs don't forget upgrades and how about installs not just of software but go out and plug up some ones all new box. With upgrades don't just install them sell them even if you don't keep a stock on hand you can have parts with in a week usually for as much or less than the local retailers and you turn a profit. Discount for some things based on packaged deal like if they buy from you xx% off install fee. I am sure I can think of more but thats enough for now.

Andyuk2007
10-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Sorry to hear it's quiet for you Andy. Chin up though and i'm sure it'll slowly start to snowball over the next year.

I assume you just do repair work at the moment. Have you considered branching out into web design, selling computers/bits on ebay or another sideline job?

Web design is a good one if you're good at it, as you only need one job a week to pay the bills.

Can you tell us what your advertising methods are? We might be able to suggest some new methods. I find google adwords works well.
Hi, I'm not very good at web design to do it on a professional level, I had thought of selling bits and bobs on ebay but there is so much competition out there and finding wholesalers is hard i actually tried today through the esources.com site.

My Advertising methods at the moment consist of an advert that is published every 5 weeks in a booklet called "The Local" its delievered to around 6000 homes i have also placed an A5 leaflet in shop windows in 3 villages, I had thought of having a few thousand leaflets done and pushing them through letter boxes but to be honest i honestly dont know if that will work.

SandTech
10-09-2007, 12:35 AM
I am just starting out, and getting excited. anyway I printed out 200copies of flyer, with 10% coup. for person that show the flyer. To know where it came from, did put small code on bottom.

Went to three city, stop & shop, and shaws, 200 flyer on cars. Received two calls on saturday. Didn't charge much. $180 for both customers. Did spend some times, and advised them, just to build client.

Both calls where from the richer area around me.

Both Spyware removal.

Andyuk2007
10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
I am just starting out, and getting excited. anyway I printed out 200copies of flyer, with 10% coup. for person that show the flyer. To know where it came from, did put small code on bottom.

Went to three city, stop & shop, and shaws, 200 flyer on cars. Received two calls on saturday. Didn't charge much. $180 for both customers. Did spend some times, and advised them, just to build client.

Both calls where from the richer area around me.

Both Spyware removal.
Hi there, I have got some 400 flyers which i may have to just deliever in the richer areas of where i live as there are 3 other towns/villages near me but it would take a long time. I had read that the royal mail does some kind of leaflet delievery system where they will deleiver your leaflets for you, all i would have to do is select post codes but this will cost money.

I guess i'll have to take 2 days out posting them myself huh :cool:

Simmy
10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi there, I have got some 400 flyers which i may have to just deliever in the richer areas of where i live as there are 3 other towns/villages near me but it would take a long time. I had read that the royal mail does some kind of leaflet delievery system where they will deleiver your leaflets for you, all i would have to do is select post codes but this will cost money.

I guess i'll have to take 2 days out posting them myself huh :cool:

You're looking at around 40 per 500 leaflets for someone else to deliver them. There are people who will do it for less, but then you have to wonder whether or not they are actually delivering them. Take a pen, paper and your mobile phone with you and divert your work landline (if you have one) to it so you don't miss any calls.

I get around a 1-2% response on my leaflets, which sucks considering the time and effort you have to put in. But you should be able to get a few thousand done in a week if you really go for it. I got 5000 A5 colour leaflets printed for 100 and I'm slowly working my way through them during the quiet times.

Andyuk2007
10-09-2007, 11:36 AM
You're looking at around 40 per 500 leaflets for someone else to deliver them. There are people who will do it for less, but then you have to wonder whether or not they are actually delivering them. Take a pen, paper and your mobile phone with you and divert your work landline (if you have one) to it so you don't miss any calls.

I get around a 1-2% response on my leaflets, which sucks considering the time and effort you have to put in. But you should be able to get a few thousand done in a week if you really go for it. I got 5000 A5 colour leaflets printed for 100 and I'm slowly working my way through them during the quiet times.

I did think of getting someone else to deliever a few of my leaflets but as you say you have to wonder if they actually do deliver them, 1-2 % response sounds bad :( What else do you do to try and get business ? I've got my advert in that booklet and the shop windows around where i live i guess we are seen as a luxury service or maybe its my advert that is rubbish, perhaps i could put it up to show you and see what you think, perhaps it needs a makeover huh.

Simmy
10-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Go for it, show us a pic of your leaflet :)

Andyuk2007
10-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Go for it, show us a pic of your leaflet :)

Here is my magazine Advert, sorry its a bit blurry i dunno why that is

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6176/magaduq6.jpg

Simmy
10-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Depends what program you're using to edit the photo. You can block it out in paint or simply stick a piece of paper over the phone number when you take the photo.

Email it to me at simon (at) smg-computers.com if you still have problems. I can edit the number out and host the image if you wish.

Andyuk2007
10-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I already did it but i'll put it here again, do you think it needs changing. ?

second picture is my leaflet advert, its in A4 that i made with publisher i did try and resize it to A5 but everything is all jumbled up when i do it with publisher. If anyone knows of a way i can resize it to A5 and print out then please let me know.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6176/magaduq6.jpg

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8750/leafletadvertii9.jpg

Simmy
10-09-2007, 03:35 PM
The leaflet looks fine - are you printing them yourself? If so, getting them printed professionally will give your company a better image and it doesn't cost much.

On the A4 advert, I would personally avoid using Clipart/Wordart/Comic Sans font. The content is fine, but I would change the font and the logo.

Do you have a land line or do you list your mobile number?

It might be an idea to start a thread where people can post pictures of the adverts they have done.

Andyuk2007
10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
The leaflet looks fine - are you printing them yourself? If so, getting them printed professionally will give your company a better image and it doesn't cost much.

On the A4 advert, I would personally avoid using Clipart/Wordart/Comic Sans font. The content is fine, but I would change the font and the logo.

Do you have a land line or do you list your mobile number?

It might be an idea to start a thread where people can post pictures of the adverts they have done.
The Advert with the lightning bolt down the side is the one that goes in the magazine every 5 weeks that reaches around 6,000 homes.

The A4 Advert is actually a copy of my leaflet i have some printed in A5 but there in black and white and dont look very good, yes i do have a landline aswell as a mobile phone number i have just blanked them out for privacy reasons.

Which logos do you mean, the clip art images ? i put them on there as there was a bit of blank space and thought it added charactor to the leaflet :)

SteveinFlorida
10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I've put together a website, printed up business cards, and put a magnetic sign on the side of my car. I've yet to generate any business. My next step is to print up some black and white flyers and distribute them in the more well-to-do neighborhoods. But I'm kind of stuck on flyer design, I would love to see some more examples of successful flyers.

Thanks

Simmy
10-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I would change the "PC Wizard" title and the Comic Sans MS font. The only reason I say that is because Comic Sans font is overly used and you don't see companies like Dell/PC World using it in their ads. The clipart isn't a problem.

It's just my opinion though :) And I'm only nitpicking - on the whole, the advert does its job. Hopefully someone else will come along with their opinion.

What about adding something like "Wireless Networks/Internet Security". Alot of my work atm is setting up wireless routers and making them secure. Maybe put "Wireless router: Supplied and Installed for £70 - Includes installation on 1 PC/laptop with 128-bit encryption".

Andyuk2007
10-10-2007, 12:38 AM
I would change the "PC Wizard" title and the Comic Sans MS font. The only reason I say that is because Comic Sans font is overly used and you don't see companies like Dell/PC World using it in their ads. The clipart isn't a problem.

It's just my opinion though :) And I'm only nitpicking - on the whole, the advert does its job. Hopefully someone else will come along with their opinion.

What about adding something like "Wireless Networks/Internet Security". Alot of my work atm is setting up wireless routers and making them secure. Maybe put "Wireless router: Supplied and Installed for £70 - Includes installation on 1 PC/laptop with 128-bit encryption".

I didnt make the Magazine Advert that was done by someone at the printers for me i gave them a rough idea of what i wanted and they took it from there, I've emailed the guy that made the advert to add to the listing "Wireless Networks/Internet Security"
Wireless router: Supplied and Installed for £70 - Includes installation on 1 PC/laptop with 128-bit encryption".

I dunno where on the leaflet i could put that really :p I do like that line though :)

SandTech
10-10-2007, 12:51 AM
I would put that line under SPECIAL OFFER

Its good idea, some times you have to make less to build client.

Like most power seller, started selling dollar items or give them for free to build feedback :)

Andyuk2007
10-10-2007, 12:55 AM
I would put that line under SPECIAL OFFER

Its good idea, some times you have to make less to build client.

Like most power seller, started selling dollar items or give them for free to build feedback :)

Yeah i'll add it tommorow and get some more printed off sometime :) I have contacted the guy who made my magazine Advert to add to the list "wireless Networks/ Internet Security" :D